“Solid Hibachi Dinner”

Kobe Japanese Grill
Ranked #193 of 2,971 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Lacated on the 12th floor of the Gold Building in Westport Plaza KOBE at Westport Japanese Grill offers a complete Japanese Teppanyaki dining experience. Your Kobe dinner includes our savory Japanese clear soup, crisp house salad with ginger vinaigrette dressing and a succulent shrimp appetizer and each order is prepared at your Teppanyaki table by your own personal chef with an accompaniment of hibachi vegetables, steamed rice, and hot green tea.
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

This was my second visit to Kobe during a business trip to STL. I had the same experience as my visit back in April 2013.
The service was good, food was good and it met my expectations. My hometown has several hibachi restaurants and they all do it a bit different. Nothing fancy but a good meal at a good price. It was a late Sunday night and there is not much open in Westport.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Arrived promptly for our 18:00pm reservation. Was getting ready to be seated, then all of a sudden our seater remembered he had a large group to seat, so we were asked to wait. 10 minutes later standing around dying of thirst he finally got around to seating us.

We were the first people to be seated around the grill, which seats 8, at this point i was still dying of thirst and would of thought we would of been offered a drink as (apparantly each grill has its own dedicated waitress) but no she was busy with the grill next to us that the chef was currently cooking for. Eventually as 8 people were seated around our grill our waitress finally decided to come over and take our drink orders.

Must say i personlly found the atmosphere to be a little bit too loud for my liking with the chefs beating and banging on their grills putting on a show for guest, to the point where we could not have a comfortable conversation with the couple next to us.

Our chef then came over and started cooking everyones orders, the fried rice was nice but had a bit too much egg in it, the shrimps were delishous and very moist, I ordered the salmon which i had to ask to be cooked a bit longer as was still a bit slimy inside, husbands steak pieces were awesome.

During dinner the waitress was nowhere to be seen and did not come around and clear our dirty glasses nor were we offered a refill, unfortunately for the price you pay for the food I will not come back here as the service was lacking and i was not blown away by the food

Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

The cook was great-nice, funny, amusing. The food was awful. Clearly bottled sauces--Walmart's comes to mind. Waitress got our order wrong. Manager insisted in a physically aggressive manner that he didn't care--we'd pay for it all anyway. Appearance and ambiance old trashy, smelly. Dump! Husband now has diarrhea. Aargh. Don't go there.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Visited on Friday May 17th to celebrate our anniversary (plus we had a Groupon coupon for 50% off). Reservation was for 6:30 and we were seated promptly. Chef was entertaining but only so so as we have Chef's at other places more engaged with the customers. Food was okay, everyone order fried rice but he only put 4 eggs in this for 8 people......prefer more.

Wait service was "okay" as we had to find her for round two of drinks. Overall, not a bad place just not a wow in my book. The location on the 12th floor was pretty cool to be able to see the surrounding area.............be careful though, there are a couple of seatings that do not have a view.

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I love Japanese steak houses and have been to several steak houses,including this one, many times before. This was my best experience. There were 7 in our party and there wasn't one unhappy customer among us. In fact, everyone shares my sentiments. The food was as good or better than ever but the chef and rest of the staff are what made the difference. Our chef, Ba'da ( probably just butchered that), was awesome! He was the best chef we've ever had. He was not only talented but, funny, witty and very personable. Our head waitress was also fantastic. She was super sweet, friendly and very helpful, not to mention a great server. Kobe gives larger portions than most other comparable places. One thing I hate about most Japanese Steakhouses is that you pay extra for fried rice that ends up being served in shot glass portions. Not here! The fried rice portions at Kobe are huge. I am a big rice eater and I still had some left. Every time I've been here, the food has been great but this time was much more than a good meal, it was truly a great dining experience.