“Service Was Good, But Room Should Have Been Cleaner...”

Red Roof Inn Plus St Louis-Forest Park/Hampton Avenue
Ranked #72 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
“Service Was Good, But Room Should Have Been Cleaner...”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I stopped in at this Red Roof Inn after having a good experience with the Red Roof In near the Philadelphia Airport. Also, it is along I-44 and that was the road we were taking home. Talk about a tale of two cities! We reserved the room over the cell phone and with the AAA rate, the room was $79.83 with taxes included. Once I showed pictures to the manager the following morning, we received an additional $20 off of the night. Rather than be defensive, the manager was quite nice and was appreciative of specific examples of how the room was being cleaned properly. The lady that worked when we checked-in was very friendly and helpful. I wish I could remember her name so that I could give her due credit in this review.

The room has the general layout of most other Red Roof Inns, though this one still had a tube TV. The wireless WiFi worked fine and the room had a refrigerator and a microwave. We found no bed bugs or any other pests in the room, or around the property. The sheets were clean and not worn. As mentioned before, there were things about the room that were not clean upon a closer look. The bathtub was filthy. There were hard water chemical deposits in the bowl of the commode. There were greasy finger prints on the wall light fixtures. The edge of the carpet had a thick layer of dust. I have shared pictures of the things that I have described. The heating/air unit worked fine.

This isn't the worst place that I have ever stayed - that honor is shared by Super 8 in Kutztown, PA and Motel 6 In Collinsville, IL. However, it is far from the best that I have ever stayed at within the $50-$100 price range.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Salida, Colorado
Reviewed October 10, 2012

First of all, I'd like to give the housekeeping staff kudos for keeping my older motel room clean and fresh on a daily basis. I stayed four nights and selected this motel based on a friend's recommendation which, I later learned, was strictly price driven. It was definitely cheaper than any other hotel in the area and provided the basics of shelter and convenience to the area of town I was working in. But, for me, it lacked two essentials - coffee in the room and some sort of continental breakfast in the lobby to get me started before I headed out to my day's work (I'm an artist exhibiting at various art shows across the country). Finding out there was no coffee in the room was the real bummer. I found out later that you can have coffee in the room if you book one of their 'larger' rooms/suites, but I didn't know that at the time of booking through hotels.com. The good things about this motel were the low price, the friendly & helpful staff, free wireless in the room, the updated curved shower curtain rod and a very good strong shower. The negatives were the lack of coffee in the room; uncomfortable bed; very very slow wireless (albeit free); the lack of any continental breakfast in the lobby; the annoying wall light switches which seemed to nearly require a pair of pliers to operate and the pathetic little travel packet of kleenex on the vanity instead of a full box.

Room Tip: If you want coffee in your room, specifically ask for one of the few that has it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RoadTripper1211
i0135, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Plus St Louis-Forest Park/Hampton Avenue, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear RoadTripper1211,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the St Louis - Forest Park Red Roof.

We are now undergoing a Full Renovation which should be completed in March 2013. We look forward to seeing you in your future travels.

Ava
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is strictly a "no frills" place to stay, but it was close to The Hill with all its wonderful Italian restaurants and also close to the Missouri Botanical Gardens.
I had an accessible room which worked great for me. It was clean, but the furnishings were dated. It was right on I-44, but our room was quiet. The bed was comfortable and we both slept well.
The total cost for a room for two, including tax, was around $72. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the side of hotel away from the highway.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
i0135, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Plus St Louis-Forest Park/Hampton Avenue, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear HillbillyTightwad ,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the St Louis - Forest Park Red Roof.

Thank you again for sharing your experience. I would like you to know that we now undergoing a Full Renovation where we will have all new rooms!!! We are so excited about this!! We look forward to seeing you in your future travels.

Wichita, KS
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Good location and a much lower price than other nearby hotels. On the surface the room was clean but you could tell it wasn't deep cleaned. I didn't look too hard, because sometimes not knowing is better. The bathroom was decently clean though. The staff was friendly and the location was great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jenniferhogan3
Dear jenniferhogan3,

Thank you again for sharing your experience. We have some great information! We are now undergoing a Full Renovation that should be completed in March 2013. It would be my pleasure in seeing you in your future travels.

Springfield, Illinois, United States
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I wasn't expecting a lot. But I got less. Room dirty, tub stained. Room 326 the king bed slants to the left, it is broken. Furniture ripped and stained. Old tv with few stations. They shouldnt get to use the name red roof.we stayed one night and moved next door to holiday in at 20 dollars more. Everything is new and clean there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Johnnie R,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the St Louis - Forest Park Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.

At Red Roof, we strive to provide every customer with superior service; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I want you to know that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem that occurred during your stay to prevent any future occurrence. We are now undergoing a Full Renovation where we will have all new, updated rooms. The Renovation should be completed by March 2013!!

Travelers are raving about these Saint Louis hotels

Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

I repeat.... Don't do it!! I have been to some really jacked up joints in my life and this spot falls in the same category. Never seen a redroof quite like this one. They need to change the name or they gone drag that good name through the mid with this spot.
First off, they tried to hit me over the head for an extra 50 when I got there but I wasn't going. Thirstiest looking staff in the US. Watch yo car! It could possibly be one of them spots people live in if you know what I mean.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Globetrotter_DV ,

We are now undergoing a Full Renovation where we will receive all new, updated rooms!! It would be my pleasure that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Stanton
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed in room 102 for two nights. The standard king room was very small and didn't have the desk area that appears in some of the photos, but it was clean and comfortable. We actually arrived around 2 pm and the room was not ready, since check in was at 3, but we were able to get our key so we could head back downtown and go to the Cardinals game and be able to access our room when we came back. When we got back, there were no hand towels or wash cloths. When I went to request towels, the woman working the desk said she would bring some since they apparently didn't have enough to replace them at the time they cleaned the room and they had to wait for the laundry. She eventually brought them to our room after about 15 minutes or so. On my way out of the office, there was a tall slim guy wearing what appeared to be a white security guard shirt and a ball cap walking around the building. He asked if he could ask me a question, which I said yes. He wondered if he could give me his name, which I said yeah, thinking whatever I guess he wants me to know the name of the security guard on duty, but then he added that he wished to exchange numbers, to which I replied that I was a married woman. I find it ironic that the security guard who is supposed to make you feel safe actually was creeping around hitting on me and making me feel unsafe. I told the guy at the desk when I went to check out after our stay and they kind of just laughed it off but did say they would report it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jane B
Dear Jane B,

At Red Roof, we strive to provide every customer with superior service; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I want you to know that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem that occurred during your stay to prevent any future occurrence. I assure you that the Security Company has been aware of this and have promised that this will never happen again.