“Great value - Great Staff”

Pear Tree Inn St. Louis Near Union Station
Ranked #24 of 122 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed at the Pear Tree Inn Union Station during a visit to SLU just prior to Thanksgiving. We booked through priceline but the front desk said we could also have booked a special (SLU) rate that is always offerred. The location was perfect as it was less than a 10 minute drive to the center of campus. The free parking in a hotel located in the city was a definite plus. Also appreciated was the comprehensive hot breakfast buffet and evening snacks and (three) drinks per night. We were on the 10th floor and while the hotel seemed to be busy, it was very quiet at night. The only issues that kept the hotel from being rated a 5/5 was that there were some signs of wear in our room and a faint musty smell. I have some allergy problems and felt as though I was coming down with a cold when I was in the room. Strangely enough, I always felt better as soon as I left the hotel. Still, I would probably stay there again due to the value and very pleasant, helpful staff.

Room Tip: Higher rooms seem to be quieter in addition to offerring better views. Ask for a SLU rate when book...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I'm always hesistant on choosing a hotel for any trip so I always read reviews first. I read several good reviews on this hotel and I'm very glad we chose to stay at this one! I was very satisified with the staff, the hotel itself and all of the extras. We went on a Thursday and stayed until Sunday morning. Myself, my husband and our son who is 6 years old and our daughter who is 17 months old. It was just a family trip, we've never been to St. Louis before. My son loves popcorn and coke so that extra was definitely a bonus for all of us. We stayed in room 727 which has an excellent view of the arch right outside the room. It's at the end of the hallway. The free parking was definitely a plus considering you have to pay to park pretty much everywhere else in that city! It's not too far from the arch and the City Museum which were two reasons we went on this trip. The hot breakfast was very good and the pool area was very clean as was our room. We had a room with a king size bed and a couch bed so we didn't have lots of room to move around but it was sufficient for our needs. The pillows were very soft and fluffy so if you like a firm pillow, I'd recommend you bring your own! All of the staff members were very friendly. One thing I did not like very much was the fact that you had to go through the front lobby to get to the swimming pool. It wouldn't deter me from staying there again, but I just didn't care to walk through the lobby in my swimsuit:) It was a very quite place and I felt very safe. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice, clean place to stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 727, great view of the arch and Union Station right outside the room! (its at the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Price was great because it included parking. Breakfast was great - and you get three free drinks at night (along with popcorn, chips and pretzels). Room was great. Do not listen to people saying the Arch is within walking distance (it's a good 2 miles and the area right outside the hotel is not that great, especially at night). Now saying that, the hotel is gated and parking is gated as well. The closer you get to the arch the nicer the area. Would definitely go back

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Ok place, decent deal on price otherwise I probably would be bashing the place. Staff was super, always dig a smile when checking in. Room was fair, nothing over the top. Again, at the price I paid it was cool, otherwise I wouldn't have been impressed

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed here trying to avoid the higher-priced hotels closer to downtown. The property is quite conveniently located between streets that can get you into or out of town easily. The room views do not face east to see the Arch so you either have a view of the FBI building or the hotel parking lot. The hotel has gated parking which is nice. We took a leisurely walk east along Market Street to the various green plazas along the way, City Hall, etc. and it didn't take that long to get to the Arch. The Union Station is two blocks away with restaurants and shops and The Schlafly Tap Room is also close by which has great food and of course very good beer. The hotel served complimentary snacks, beer, and wine in the evenings and had a hot breakfast buffet in the morning. The bathroom didn't have a ventilator fan.

Room Tip: Views are nothing to tweet about - seem to be either North (parking lot) or South (FBI building) but...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed at the Pear Tree Inn for a family reunion. We were assured we could fly into the airport, take the MetroLink to Union Station and easily walk to the hotel. Not true...it's a good 1/2 - 3/4 mile walk through some sketchy areas. Our welcome was friendly, the room decor tired, smelled stale, and faced no view with very dirty outdoor windows. The breakfast food was mediocre, he free happy hour a surprise and the adjoining restaurant decent for a tired traveler. Walking to shops or other restaurants was not an option for two women at night - too far, too dangerous. We could have done better. I believe it was selected as they are pet-friendly.

Room Tip: Higher floors are more quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Kevin at the front desk offered the best welcome to a hotel stay I have had in the past year. The entire staff was incredibly friendly and made the place feel like home. The rooms were adequately furnished although they did offer a slight smell but it wasn't unsettling. I would not hesitate to stay here again. I was on a business trip with family along for the ride. The free popcorn was the best corn I have had in awhile as well.

This place is run in the way and by the right type of folks. I wish they were present at every hotel I stay in.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business