“Great. Clean. I would stay here again... but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Avyan

You added Hotel Avyan to your Saves list
Hotel Avyan
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2625 Lafayette Avenue, Saint Louis, MO 63104 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express St. Louis) (Lafayette Square)   |
Ranked #76 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Salt Lake City
“Great. Clean. I would stay here again... but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The cleaning people seem to be doing a great job. The service was great. Employees went out of their way to help us. The rooms were large and comfortable. The rooms were very clean. We rented three rooms

However, I think management is missing details. The card reader for the back door was broken with no sign/alert. Another visitor used a rock to hold the door open. A ceiling was leaking on the first floor. We had large holes in the wall (from an old picture?) and the bath drain seemed to be snapped off (???). I thought the bath was dirty, but it was actually clean -- just a couple stains. I didn't like breakfast (no meat), and the apple juice spout delivered water. I only provide the complaints as a directon for improvement. The hotel doesn't need much for me to change to a 5 star.

The details mentioned here are only minor, and would not affect my decision to stay here again. The hotel worked out great for our group. I liked the clean and roomy rooms.

Room Tip: Consider breakfast elsewhere.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Misawa, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here one night, after flying all day from Great Britain. Having lived in England, we know about bad customer service. But after we checked out after our one-night stay, the staff went ahead and checked my parents out, too (although they had a confirmed booking). And when I thought I had left something quite valuable behind in my room (my engagement ring) I called and left voice mail messages FOR THREE DAYS and never received a response from the manager about whether it had been found. The desk staff were not able to tell me whether the ring had been located, and were not capable of ringing me through to the manager's voice mail. One desk clerk did not know the manager's extension number, and told me she was not able to give me the manager's email address. I would never recommend that anyone stay here. I like to support businesses trying to make it in a scrappy neighborhood, but this one is not trying at all. It's a terrible hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else entirely!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Avyan, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear Strovis,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry for the unacceptable service you received. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.
Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Zelyn N
IHGCare
Evansville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Pretty average for a Holiday Inn. Rooms were clean. But the first room we stayed in had a broken hair dryer and then we discovered after a day that the door was not locking. Moved us into a second room with a very noisy air conditioner that rattled. Was happy to leave after 2 nights. I've stayed here before and had a better experience.

• Stayed July 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The staff was very helpful and the room was very quiet. This hotel is near Lafayette Square and near the interstate. It was very convenient to everything.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chandler, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

This did not meet our expectations for Holiday Express. It is a bit weary. The quirky room was clean and presentable and food was good. However Internet access was less than marginal on the second floor and the problem was not my computer - since everything worked in the lobby. Other annoying rooms quirks were blinking telephone message light for two days, defective lamp, conduit hanging outside the window and non-working second floor ice machine.

The hotel location is great for downtown access and the old-town surrounding buildings are interesting to see.

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor but plan to access the Internet from the lobby.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Avyan, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Dear dalichandler,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We are pleased you liked your breakfast and found your room clean and comfortable. We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced regarding the room amenities and hotel facility. I truly value the comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Thank you again for your review.

Zelyn N.
IHG Care
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

I asked for a holiday inn express because I am a priority club member and wanted a hotel close to my business location. It is not a great location for anything else. Hotel is older with some new finishes. The shower handle was loose from the wall. Okay rooms and clean. I would not stay again or recommend it, but it worked for one night.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Fordmouse
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Avyan, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear Fordmouse,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Katie J
IHGCare
Kansas City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!! I normally do not write bad reviews but I would NEVER recommend this hotel and will NEVER stay with them again. Management is rude and unprofessional. They have terrible customer service and do not honor their deals. Do not waste your time/money/efforts here, there are plenty of other nice hotels in STL where you can get good service.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Avyan, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear KDHADH,