“Great location”

St. Louis City Center Hotel
Ranked #97 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We booked here to stay after a concert at Scottrade Center. Perfect location - short walk to the concert and safe to walk back at night. The hotel was clean and had nice beds and baths. However, the carpet and furniture was in need of replacement. The sofa sleeper was almost unusable - like sleeping right on the springs. Carpets badly stained and furniture with visible wear and worn out. I would still return based on location if I were going to Scottrade but it needs an update on interior.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Robyn4377
Write a ReviewReviews (1,073)

Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

Great staff!! Ate lunch in bar, food was good. Rooms are definitely showing wear and tear: stains on carpet, walls had black marks on them, lots of dust collecting around/under dressers. Overall the room was clean. Bed was comfortable, probably the best bed I've slept in, in any hotel. Club lounge was decent; the breakfast and evening appetizers were good. It was a very quiet hotel, I never heard anyone talking in halls, slamming doors, no noise from neighboring rooms. I would stay there again.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Jeff A
Reviewed August 11, 2014

definitely the worst hotel experience I have ever had. before we arrived I called to see about checking in early and the lady I spoke with was very rude. it made me wonder if the staff has had any kind of customer service training, although when I got there the staff that checked me was very polite. we get to the parking garage and there are pillars everywhere so it is very difficult to drive through. On our way to our room the hallways were filled with the smell of marijuana. which later on in the day there was a guy walking to elevators smoking what seemed to be marijuana. the hotel is supposed to be a smoke free facility. it is a good thing my brother's children was not there at the time. we get up to our room which is supposed to be a king bedroom suite with a separate living room with a sofa bed in it. it was supposed to be 700 sq. feet. the room appeared to be a standard room with a king size bed and sofa bed in it. there was no separate living room like explained in the itinerary. the itinerary also said there was Wi-Fi, which there was. it just cost $10 for 24 hours of use. most hotels have free Wi-Fi. so we go up to the pool to swim. as soon as we walk in it was very loud. the water seemed to be way over - chlorinated, because you could smell it very strongly when you walked in, and right after I got in my eyes where burning immediately. on top of that the water wasn't all the way clear. there was also supposed to be a whirlpool, which there wasn't. so on the way back down from the pool, the elevator stops and what seems to be an adult escort wearing a thong gets on the elevator with her butt right in my brother's 4 year olds face. There was a light bulb missing from one of our lamps. there was only 3 towels for 4 adults and 3 children. my brother went outside and there was people outside the hotel approaching him trying to buy drugs. the hotel was definitely not lit up like it shows to be in the pictures online. there is a breakfast, but it is not complimentary and is very expensive. also later on in the night we came back to the hotel and our door keys would not work. so we went down to the front desk and they gave us new ones and the new ones did not work either. so we waited for the maintenance man to show up to let us in our room. was very disappointed, especially with all the time and research I spent trying to find the right hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

I'll start by stating that I'm an SPG Platinum member and have been for several years. This reservation was made using SPG points.

I was on a road trip with my wife and 2 kids, arriving at the Sheraton late last night.

I've stayed in hotels downtown St. Louis before, but be warned, this is directly across the street from the main transit terminal, which is connected to both the Amtrak and Greyhound stations...VERY sketchy and I felt very nervous and unsafe for my family and I.

The one (and only) shining moment was the check in team member. She was attentive and very friendly...kudos to her.

We were put in room 809 on the club floor due to my status. The room was an absolute disgrace. There were multiple stains in the living area of the room; one was blood or red wine (I kept telling my wife it was the latter) and who knows what the other much larger stain was.

We immediately lifted the sheets looking for bugs and fortunately none were found. It was late and we'd been on the road for 13 hours, so I was far too tired to complain at that point so we sucked it up, told the kids not to touch anything and went to bed.

I made a quick visit to the club lounge for coffee and a quick bite before getting back in the road. When I saw that the boiled eggs were come out of a container dated 2 days ago, I grabbed a coffee and decided enough is enough.

I will NEVER stay at this property again and intend to request a reimbursement of my points for this stay from SPG.

I stay in hotels 100 nights per year and as Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum) is my backup, this stay drives me to consider making them my primary and letting SPG take a backseat.

I am dumbfounded as to how this hotel has slipped through the cracks of Starwood's quality system.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ProsperFam
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We went to a Cardinals game. The walk was just right and there was plenty of things to do. The hotel was very clean, our room was wonderful. I absolutely enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark W, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2014

Dear Casey D,

Thank you for choosing The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel & Suites for your recent hotel visit. We truly appreciate you staying with us and appreciate the time you took to share your experience on Trip Advisor after your departure. It was gratifying to read that you rated all areas as Excellent.

Once again, we thank you for your patronage and hope that we have earned your loyalty and future business.

Warm regards,

Mark Wright
Director of Operations

Reviewed August 3, 2014

After reading reviews I was concerned about staying at this hotel. I expressed my apprehension upon check in and asked for a nice room. After much looking, the front desk clerk placed me on the club floor (I am SPG Platinum; so this should have happened automatically any way). The room and bathroom were clean and the maid was very service oriented and helpful with a few issues. However, everything in the room was very old. I had issues with furniture and with customer service during my stay. I asked to talk to the manager (name sounded like D. Seven), but he never called me back. I did talk to Brian, another manager, and he was very helpful and gave me some points to compensate for the difficulties during my stay. I appreciate the points, but will avoid the hotel in the future.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This place is clean and the staff are friendly and try really hard to take care of everything you need. The valet is a little high at $23 a day, we wish we had gone around back for $8 a day, but we were too tired to worry about it after we discovered it. The desk clerk gave us an upgrade to club floor which we were thankful to have. This gave us and the grandchildren a decent breakfast to start the day so we didn't have to go track down food before we went to the city museum. We had the suite that has two queens in the bedroom and sofa bed in the living room. That is a great ammen. for families that need to spread out a little on vacation- to prevent the too much togetherness disease from taking over. The hot tub was under construction, the pool was nice, but sadly had some very rude guests in the pool that were loud and obnoxious - raising the roof with their voices, so the kids couldn't stay long. But that is not the hotels fault. We will stay here again. Thanks Sheraton- you took great care of our family. The Waldens

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Mark W, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear KarenDelayne,

Thank you for you choosing the Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel for you recent visit to St. Louis, It was a privilege having you as our guests.

As we continue to strive to exceed all guests’ expectations and want every guest to have an exceptional stay; your feedback is imperative for us to better understand the needs and concerns of our guests.

We truly appreciate your patronage and hope that we have earned your loyalty and future business.

Warm regards,