“Great stay on club floor”

St. Louis City Center Hotel
Ranked #91 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Great stay on club floor”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We decided to upgrade ourselves to a junior suite on the club floor and it was great! Only problem was we were right next to the freeway and bedroom was a little noisy. Service in the hospitality room was superior. Food was good and appreciated the convenience. Did not think this hotel was rundown. It's not new but has aged fine. Great promotion saved us a lot of $ on this stay. Yes the bus station is across street but so is the light rail which is a great way to get around the city.

Room Tip: Ask to be on other side from freeway.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark W, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Misscue08,

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Detroit, MI.
Reviewed May 14, 2014

In town for business meeting. Hotel was in definite need of upgrades. Room and hall carpet was stained and dirty. Beds were comfortable but furniture was worn. Staff and meeting rooms and food were okay. There are many better hotels in area.

1 Thank KevinZ
Mark W, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

North Richland Hills, Texas
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I just stayed here last week. Hotel looks good on the outside, but is in a rundown part of the city near a freeway and ballpark....across from a bus station...need I say more? Then coming into lobby, looks nice. The night I checked in, one clerk on duty, 6 patrons in line. I asked where other clerks were, 'At lunch', really?? Then I go up to room, it looks good, very spacious, however it stunk like moldy stale cigarette smoke despite being 'Non-smoking'. The carpet also needed a good vacuum, as I could feel trash on my bare feet. Then I went down to bar for a late salad and glass of wine. I sat at a high top, just a few feet from bar. The waitress then proceeded to avoid me for 20 minutes: no menu, no greeting, nothing. Service was just non existant despite a quiet night. Finally out of desperation, I begged a menu from the bar tender. A lady at an adjoining table had to do the same. What horrible service!! The next morning, I met the boss in their café for breakfast at 7 am....we ordered off the menu....took a good 40 minutes for food to arrive....my sausage and eggs were cold, and his omelet was floating in grease, and he refused it.....Overall, this hotel is just a building, as the service and maintenance are absolutely minimal...........

Room Tip: Stay on the interior of the hallway....facing courtyard.
Green Features: why do I care if you can't offer me a good room with good service???
1 Thank Texan127
Dear Texan127,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent visit.

Let me say that we are extremely sorry and disappointed that your stay here at property was less than the Sheraton experience you should have received. We endeavor to do our best to create a great guest experience and we really take it to heart when we fail. We fully empathize with the sentiments regarding the cleanliness and condition of your guestroom during your stay. Our leadership team has reviewed the breakdowns that occurred throughout your visit and steps have been taken to ensure that similar situations do not re-occur.

We are as concerned as you are about the circumstances described in your correspondence. Personnel in our Operations Team use a program of preventative maintenance and other means to prevent this kind of displeasure, especially with valued guests such as your. In the meantime, thank you for your patience and understanding.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton City Center about 8 or 9 years ago, and back then it was one of the nicest hotels in the city. When I returned this week for 2 nights on business, it was very clear that the hotel has not been updated at all since then.

The furniture was old, torn and patched up, overall not in good shape. Carpet in the rooms and hallways were worn with stains all over. Even things such as lamps and phones were very old and dusty. Both mornings of my stay I found hair in the shower that was not mine. Staff seemed friendly enough, but the issues here seem to come from a management level. Also, they charge for wi-fi in the rooms, which in this day and age seems odd, especially for SPG members. We ate at the hotel bar, and the restaurant, both were just ok, with service a little slow.

Just a very disappointing stay. Hotel seems to have great potential, and is in a good location, but has clearly been neglected over the years.

Room Tip: Choose a room that has windows facing outside, some rooms face an indoor courtyard, making the rooms...
Dear JP1975,

Please accept my sincere apology for the slow service that you experienced. This is certainly not the Sheraton experience we aim to provide our guests and I am truly sorry this happened to you. Our goal is to provide our guests with a welcoming, home-away-from-home, and to hear that we did not properly carry out this promise is very disappointing. Please know that this is not a typical service of our hotel.

Regards,

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Room
I forget what type of suite we had, but I know we were on club level. My first problem with the room was that they don't tell you that one of the two beds in the suite is a couchbed. I didn't have a problem sleeping on one, but it'd be nice if I were warned before I expect two queens and I get a couchbed instead. Other than that, the room was off to a nice start, from the bathroom with a separate mirror on the outside, to the mini fridge next to the closet space that is offered with possible dry cleaning services available, (extra cost on each item varying cost depending on the item). The TV turns on and has a DVD station, but no apparent DVD player. Which still confuses me, but whatever. Basic television channels. Wifi is kinda laggy. When opening up the curtains, you are granted with the view of the balcony, seeing rooms across from you on your level, a level below, and a few levels above if you crane your neck. You also get to see people stumble in and out of their rooms and in and out of the elevator, and whether you like it or not, you get to make awkward eye contact with other guests at the hotel. This wasn't to bad for me, but it made me think about windows that from the inside you can see the outside, but from the outside you can't see inside, and you only see your reflection. I know installing those windows may cost loads, but it might be worth it.
Club Lounge
The club suite guests can access this wonderful room at anytime of day for access to the fridge and snacks laying out for no extra charge, a bonus for being a club suite guest. Each morning, the club guest can have access to one hot plate(waffles, stuff like that)and enjoy their meals in couches, armchairs, and tables, blah blah blah. After that there are snacks, small yet well chosen assortment of tea, and coffee machines available anytime of day. Club lounge room 897. Breakfast starts I think at 6:00 a.m. ish, and ends around 10:00 a.m. ish (when they put away the hot dishes, the snacks are still open throughout the day.). This room helped me and my friends get through the day without getting too hungry.
Pool and Jacuzzi
The pool is cool. Goes up to about 5.5 ft., give or take. The jacuzzi is relaxing. Goes up to about 3.5 ft. Yup. Go up to the thirteenth floor.
Transportation
The Sheraton is located right next to the Metro, and sightseeing places are easily accessible through this mode of transportation. The Trolley is also an option to get you to and fro. You could also walk, tourist attractions aren't that far away from the Sheraton fortunately. It's best to take the metro.
Overall
The room had no major issues, the club lounge and pool area are two places to chill, and the Sheraton is placed right across from the metro. I had lower expectations because of the other reviews on here, and it's not even that bad, just a few instances to crinkle your eyebrows at. Good stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Elmhurst, Illinois
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Staff was polite and always friendly. The hotel is outdated and not cleaned well. I could see the build up of dust under the furniture in our room and along the baseboards throughout the hotel. The breakfast and appetizers in the club lounge were good. We stayed at this property because of its proximity to the Scottrade Center, which is across the street. Likely wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Karen M
Mark W, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments after your departure. Guest feedback is so crucial to our success, and I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts and observations regarding your recent visit.

I was disappointed to read your comments, and I would like to personally apologize for the unacceptable cleanliness level experienced with your room. We have looked into the issues noted in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel services.

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding our friendly staff, the food offerings in our club lounge and the location of our hotel.

We very much appreciate your comments, and we hope to have another opportunity in the future to demonstrate our commitment to total customer satisfaction.

Chicago
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We were fortunate enough to have a double queen on the club level - it was plenty big and perfect for our family of 5. The pool was a good size, but they didn't have towels for 2 days (despite calling and requesting them.) The Club lounge was great, but I think a bit overwhelmed with the number of families on Spring Break. Leslie in the lounge did a great job of managing it in the evenings. Tim at the front desk was extremely friendly, welcoming and started off our trip on a great note. We also liked the free shuttle. All in all a good stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Mark W, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel, your comments are very much valued.
I would like to apologize for the inconvenience encountered at the pool. We have looked into the issue, please rest assured that steps have been taken to correct the deficiency.
Also, I would like to thank you for your positive review in all other areas of the hotel and the kind comments about Leslie and Tim. We have shared your comments with them to reinforce the fruits of their effort.
We very much appreciate your comments, and hope to have another opportunity in the near future to welcome you back.