“The hotel is old and aged but amazing sleep well be here.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Louis City Center Hotel

St. Louis City Center Hotel
Ranked #91 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
“The hotel is old and aged but amazing sleep well be here.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

I arrived with a large group way before check in but the staff was anticipating t the crowd and was ready to get us checked in. They were extremely nice and organized.

The elevators worked well so previous issues reported here are no longer an issue. Be advised there are 2 bays of elevators. One is for residents and the other hotel guests.

The room was very large and overlooked an atrium on the 5th floor that echoed tremendously. The heavy room curtains did wonders blocking the noise. The room was huge and they king bed was extremely comfortable. I had a late night but was completed tested in the morning. Pillows were plenty! The layout of the room allowed distance between the bathroom and bed area so I would imagine that would be nice if sharing the room.

We had meetings all day on the 13th floor which was a perfect setup. Congrats to the staff for making such accommodations available.

The indoor pool was clean and the room temperature warm. It felt very Spa like.

The bar was not staffed well considering our larger group and there wye some inconsistent messages regarding breakfast. Bistro 14 had a great breakfast menu and buffet with specific gluten free options including French Toast.

Overall a nice stay!

• Stayed February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
mwright1973, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Guest Rheerdink:

Thank you for choosing The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel for your recent stay. We truly appreciate you staying with us and appreciate the time you took to share your experience after your departure. It is valued conscientious guests such as yourself that provide us the feedback necessary to continue to improve our products and services.

First impressions are important, and we are delighted to hear that your large group check-in was so easy! Thank you for sharing that you found our staff to be nice and accommodating. We thoroughly enjoy going the extra mile to help you create a beautiful experience.

It is pleasing that you remarked the spacious rooms that we offer, the comfortable indoor pool, and that you enjoyed our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed, which is available for purchase at Sheraton.com.

We are also pleased to read that you appreciate the food offers in our Bistro 14 restaurant and that you were satisfied with the conference accommodations. We appreciate your great kudos for our associates, we have passed on your comments to them.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences encountered at the bar and with the messages indicated about breakfast. We have taken the necessary steps to ensure those similar situations do not re-occur. We thank you very much for your helpful and reasonable feedback.

Once again, we thank you for your patronage and hope that we have earned your loyalty and future business. Please let me know if there is ever anything I can do to assist you.

With warm regards,

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

I don't write many reviews, especially if the reviews are consistent with the product. But when I read through all the reviews and now experienced one night, I thought I should do one. The purpose of my one-night stay was simply to avoid travel in snow conditions to/from a Blues game. I used the SPG points (3500) & cash ($55) option to book and pay for the room.

To preface, I will admit I am a hotel snob and appreciate the five-star properties in which I stay for work due to the nature of my job on an average of 50 nights a year. However, when I travel personally due to having a young child, I prefer suite-style hotels with an indoor pool. I believe there are only two hotels in downtown STL that have an indoor pool, and it works well for winter events at Scottrade Center that this is across the street with easy airport travel access if needed.

The front desk staff is great. The young ladies I dealt with at check-in (T...) and check-out (Amy) were professional and very helpful. "T" made sure my room had a tub to meet my daughter's needs, and I appreciated having a view so we could all watch the road conditions.

We had an accessible room, and it was very spacious with the wet bar and mini-fridge. Our particular bedroom had two queens and you could have fit a third one in the sitting area. The bedding looked newer and fresh. As everyone has stated, the furniture is out-dated but really doesn't matter to me. They have large flat screens in both rooms, and as a sports fan, you couldn't ask for better programming. They probably had the best selection of channels including MLB, NHL, all of the major cable sports channels i.e. ESPN family, CBS Sports, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports Midwest, NBC Sports along with the regular cable channels and Showtime. The amenities were decent quality but they also provide a mini-loofah, travel size shaving cream in addition to the standards. I love the loofah...I stay at Ritz & Four Seasons hotels often, and though they provide shower gels, they don't provide the loofah. Just a nice touch. They had glassware but also packaged plastic cups, which I'm sure germaphobes appreciate.

The pool was clean, and they had towels and even "noodles" available. The WiFi is ok, and I wish I'd known that it would not handle YouTube/video loads but anymore, most hotels are charging additional fees for this capability. For $10.99, it was a fair (ideal would be complimentary basic internet in all hotels but that's another issue). We had the breakfast buffet in Columns, and the food was good and nice that my daughter ate for free with adult buffet. Glad we did that instead of room service.

Parking is great here because it is a garage, and that was another reason for us staying here during the storm. It was $17 self-park per vehicle, very reasonable.

The only issue encountered was with the elevators. They were working on them but they made frequent stops without anyone being around so it was a little nuisance. The hotel room halls were well-lit and the only negative was the carpet was in need of a good cleaning. Doesn't need replacing but just a serious good cleaning.

We end up staying here once a year or every couple of years. It's a great stay for Blues, Cardinals, any downtown events like the Komen race when we often stay here for that. The price is reasonable, and you can find deals without much effort. We were so glad we decided to stay rather than battle the conditions.

Room Tip: Room with a view; avoid interior/atrium view rooms
Green Features: Good recycling options available, especially the SPG option to receive points if you don't choose housekeeping service
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest SportsnBizTravel:

Thank you for choosing The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel. We truly appreciate you staying with us and appreciate the time you took to share your experience on Trip Advisor after your departure. It is valued conscientious guests such as yourself that provide us the feedback necessary to continue to improve our products and services.

You are so kind to write such a glowing review of your visit to our hotel. It is pleasing that you remarked the perfect location of our hotel, the spacious room with all the amenities that we offer, and that you noticed our friendly and helpful staff. Certainly we have passed this on to our associates.

We are also happy that you appreciate the food offers in The Columns restaurant, the comfort of having an indoor pool for your family to enjoy and the convenience of the self-parking option.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences caused with elevators and the condition of the carpet. We take our guests feedback extremely seriously and will be taking action on your observations.

We hope you will visit many times in the months and years to come when we will do our best to exceed all of your expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is ever anything I can provide.

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

My stay at this Sheraton was very good. Check in was quick and professional. The room was GREAT. I had a two queen suite and the room was huge. Literally the size of a small apartment. Very clean. Comfy beds. Really liked it. I wasn't in it much, my night was kind of crazy.

I needed to use the shuttle to an event and the only hiccup in my stay was the front desk couldn't really tell me much about the shuttle. So, I was just kind of confused. The doorman had the info I needed though, so good job doorman.

Also, went to the bar for drinks and I asked for a drink list. I was given one but I guess since the drink was complicated they didn't make it. The crowd was too big? So, I guess they don't make their specialty drinks unless there's only like two people in the place because there really wasn't a gigantic crowd. I just thought that was weird. I've never had a bartender tell me, "No, don't order the 12 dollar drink because it's too busy."

Room Tip: I think I was upgraded because I am a rewards member, so if you can, join the rewards program and ma...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay and your honest feedback. It is our aim to offer our guests an entirely satisfactory experience at the Sheraton St. Louis City Center.
I truly apologize for the lackadaisical attitude of some of the staff you encountered. This level of service is not typical. The issues have been addressed with the front office and food and beverage teams to ensure similar situations do not re-occur. We thank you very much for your helpful and reasonable feedback.
We were also happy to read that you acknowledge the assistance of our doorman, your remarks about your very good stay, quick and professional check in and that you liked your great, comfy and clean suite room. Thank you again for your kind words.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again during your next visit to St. Louis.

With warm regards,

Clay Center, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here after on a recent trip to St. Louis for a Blues hockey game. Hotel is 1 block from the Scottrade Center and across the street from the Amtrak station. Hotel looks to be an old warehouse. Furnishings are a bit outdated, but the room was very clean. Bed was extremely comfortable. Double rooms were very spacious with a separate living room with TV separated by the bathroom. Would stay here again if in St. Louis especially if attending another sporting event. Only about 5 blocks from Busch Stadium.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank KansasTraveler5
mwright1973, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear KansasTraveler5,

It was a privilege having you as our guest, thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

You are correct; the building was a Brown’s Shoe and then a JC Penny warehouse in the early 1900’s. Approximately 12 years ago the building was converted to our hotel offering the most spacious guestrooms in the city while maintaining its’ historical charms. Our goal is to have our entire hotel be as warm and welcoming as our recently renovated Lobby and Fitness Center.

I want to assure you that all of us here at The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel are dedicated to total customer satisfaction; and hope we your hotel of choice on your next visit to St. Louis.

Mark Wright,
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

WE Pricelined this at $71! We had a nice two-room suite w/ frige, couch (little dated) flat screen, desk and the like were fine. A good sized closet, bath area between the sitting room and bed room. The bed was large and the bed was astoundingly comfortable. The hotel was slow. No bell person in the AM or the PM but the valet guys were great. Front desk was good. Extras like wi-fi charges can be by-passed using hot-spots. Parking was cheap compared to Chicago, Detroit or other city centers.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
mwright1973, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Pad B,

It was a privilege to have you as our guest, we truly appreciate you staying with us and the time you took to share your feedback after your departure. We value your feedback and appreciate your patronage. We hope that Starwood has earned your loyalty and that we are your hotel of choice for your next visit to St. Louis.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

This very comfortable 4 star property is in the heart of downtown, literally adjacent Busch Stadium, and easy access to much of the rest of St. Louis' historic attractions including the Arch. It's also adjacent a Metro stop making it easy to get to/from the airport, if without a car.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
mwright1973, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel for your recent visit, it was a privilege having you as our guest. We hope we are your hotel of choice on your next visit to St. Louis.

Director of Operation
Reeds Spring, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is a nice hotel, but we had a few issues. The rooms are very large and spacious so that was nice. Also, the parking was very convenient. My boyfriend and I both had a car though so it was expensive for us to use the garage, but the elevator from the garage to our room was a short walk. The second night we were there we found animal feces on the floor under the desk. I assume from whoever stayed in the room before us, and they did not notice it when they cleaned the room. My biggest problem with this was when I called the front desk...they did not apologize or offer us any thing to compensate for having feces in the room....They did offer us another room but I did not want to pack everything up and change rooms over it. Housekeeping came up and cleaned it up and she did apologize. My other complaint was in the indoor pool and hot tub, the chlorine was so strong that my eyes burned and we couldn't stay in there. However we did get a good deal on the room on Hotwire so it was definitely worth the price.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
mwright1973, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Teeny_Amers,

I want to sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience you encountered on your recent visit to the Sheraton St Louis City Center Hotel. We truly appreciate you staying with us and appreciate the time you took to provide feedback on your experience. It is valued, conscientious Guests, such as yourself, that provide us the feedback necessary to continue to improve our products and services.

We are a Pet Friendly Hotel and we have Standard Operating Procedures in place to house guests with pets. When notified of pet presence, we appropriately clean those rooms upon departure. Unfortunately there are times when pets are brought into our guestrooms without our knowledge. The problems that you mentioned have been brought to the attention of the Hotel Leadership Team. While the lack of service you experienced is unusual and not the standard of our hotel, there is no excuse for the lack of attention to detail and the lackadaisical attitude on the part of those associates involved. I want to assure you that steps have been taken to ensure that a similar situation does not re-occur. As we continue to strive to exceed all guests’ expectations and want every guest to have an exceptional stay; your feedback is imperative for us to better understand the needs and concerns of our guests. Thank you once more for the gift of your feedback.

Once again, we thank you for your patronage and hope that you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to Total Customer Satisfaction. If there is anything we can do further please feel free to contact me directly.