“Stay Away” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Illinois
“Stay Away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton for a weekend getaway for the family. Choose this hotel due to its downtown location and an indoor pool for the kids. When we checked in, which was around 5 PM, we had already had a long exhausting day at the zoo. We were expecting a hastle free relaxing evening, not only for our sake but for our 1 and 3 year old as well. Upon checking in, I asked for a cart so we could load up our luggage. Not only were there no carts but the I wasn't even offered assistance. No one even bothered to go look for the carts or to see if another might be available. I made a total of about five trips up and down from our vehicle to the room without a single person asking if I needed help.
During one of trips back and forth, I was approached by the valet guy asking for my keys. I indicated that I wasn't valeting but he insisted that I give him my keys in the case they need to move my car. I apparently was in a valet parking spot so in the case they needed to park someone car, they would be moving mine. I declined and indicated that I would be right back down within the next five minutes. He argued and brought over another unprofessional clown to try and explain why they needed the keys. I told them I understood, but wasn't comfortable with leaving my keys. After a couple of minutes of arguing with these two, I gave up and handed over my keys. I literally was only three minutes before I was back down and the two nimrods were gone. I had no keys and no way of getting in my locked car. Waited 10 minutes before someone showed back up so I could get in my vehicle.
Finally entirely into the room, I had a chance to look around. We had a 6th floor suite with city view that was absolutely filthy. The carpet way extremley old and worn. The couch and chairs had suspect and disgusting looking stains on them. The bathroom, which when I made the reservation was told would have a separate tub and shower, was cramped, dirty and was not separated. I called down to the front desk to complain, but the phone just rang and rang. I tried about five mintues later and after about 20 rings, someone picks up and tells me to hold. I finally just hung up due to two hungry, tired and screaming kids in the background.
We had access to the club room so we took the kids down for a cold drink and appetizers. Got to the club room and there was no food left. There were also no cold beverages either. We waited around for about 10 minutes, thinking at somepoint, someone would show to refill the food but of course, no luck.
Took the kids to the pool which is on another floor, no problem there, except we have to use a room key to make the elevator move. If you aren't quick enough or if the card is not read correctly, the elevator will move on its own taking you either up or down to another floor, where ever it decides. You have to wait until the elevator stops to try again. Ridiculous. Got to the pool and there are no clean towels. Because of the frigid temperature of the water, we had no choice but to use towels left behind on the chairs beside the pool to dry the kids off. Disgusting.
We go back to the room to bathe the kids and notice not that we were only provided with two towels. Ended up taking a shower later that night and drying with a washcloth.
All of this enjoyment for $159 a night plus $17 for self parking and $20 additional dollars for access to the club room with no food, a stained up outdated room, rude and unprofessional employees, cold breakfast in the morning and internet in the room that didn't work.
I wouldn't stay at this hotel again if you paid me. I would have rather has slept in my car on an East St. Louis street corner than stay at this hotel. Do not let the other reviews fool you, these people are out of their minds. Two massive thumbs down.

Room Tip: Skip this hotel as an option. Everything sucks
1 Thank Ineedabreak1
mwright1973, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear valued Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel, I want to sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience you encountered during your recent stay. Here at the Sheraton St. Louis City Center, we understand that our guest want a clean comfortable room that everything works. I very much regret the inconvenience that was caused and want to assure you that steps have been taken to ensure that similar situations do not re-occur.

Once again I very much regret all the inconvenience that was caused but truly appreciate your patience and understanding, and your efforts in bringing this to our attention. I also would like to assure you that all of us here at The Sheraton St Louis City Center Hotel & Suites are dedicated to total customer satisfaction; as demonstrated prior to your departure. We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate this commitment again.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Eldorado, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here for missouri valley basketball tourney. Hotel was fully booked. room okay,slightly dated and not very clean. In need of updating for the price. Positive was very close to the Scott Trade center. We paid about $270 per night for room plus $17 per day parking. Paid for location. Not worth the price, but it was very close to event. Hotel needs updating if they are going to charge this much. it is not the quality of the Westin, and compares to Drury inn. Staff was great and breakfast was good. Parking secure in building.

Room Tip: Two room suite was good but view of interstate was not.
    • 4 of 5 stars
Sheraton_STL, Front Office Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Blackiethecat,

Thanks for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Sheraton St. Louis City Center. You are correct that our hotel is a little older and hasn't had the opportunity for a renovation just yet, but we try to make up for that by providing excellent customer service for our guests. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the staff and the breakfast during your visit with us.

We appreciate the time you took to share this information and hope that you had a great visit to St. Louis for the Missouri Valley Tournament.
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My 2 kids and I booked a room for the 15th of March through the 17th. It is a much older hotel and the pictures do not do them justice. When I arrived at about 3:30 p.m. They only had one person checking everyone in. Check in time is 3:00 p.m. by the way. We got to the room and there were only towels for 2 people when the reservation said 3. We were exhausted from our trip and crashed that night. When I rolled over to the night stand in a.m. I was slapped in the face with this horrible smell of animal urine by my night stand. The carpet was soaked with animal urine. I told the housekeeper. She handed me a spray bottle to spray the carpet. Yes, she let me spray it myself. lol. Then I went downstairs before we left for our attractions for the day and I told the downstairs staff. They said they would shampoo the carpet immediately. We were out almost 9 hours. When we got back there was this carpet blower blowing the carpet. It smelled worse. I went back downstairs to let them know. She said we will fix it, that they were booked solid and could not move me ( i didnt ask for that) and they sent someone up who sprayed the carpet again. They offered me free apps at the lounge. But they had no problem charging me full price for the room I booked, while staying in a room with the carpet smelling like urine and the attendant at the front desk said she couldn't stay in there with it smelling like that but it was ok for me to do it and pay full price. WOW. Do not stay in pet friendly hotels if you do not have any pets.

• 2 of 5 stars
mwright1973, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Tikac44535,

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel & Suites for your recent hotel visit. Here at the Sheraton, Good or Bad, we believe that feedback is a gift. We truly appreciate you staying with us and appreciate the time you took to provide feedback on your experience. It is valued, conscientious Guests, such as yourself, that provide us the feedback necessary to continue to improve our products and services.

We are a Pet Friendly Hotel and we have Standard Operating Procedures in place to house guests with pets. When notified of pet presence, we appropriately clean those rooms upon departure. Unfortunately there are times when pets are brought into our guestrooms without our knowledge. I want to assure you that your comments have been shared with our Leadership Team, and steps have been taken to ensure that similar situation does not re-occur. As we continue to strive to exceed all guests’ expectations and want every guest to have an exceptional stay; your feedback is imperative for us to better understand the needs and concerns of our guests. Thank you once more for the gift of your feedback.

Once again, we thank you for your patronage and hope that you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to Total Customer Satisfaction. If there is anything we can do further please feel free to contact me directly.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last year and it is favorite. We stay here for a Stay Cation. It is great for walking to the Blues Hockey Games, Taste of St. Louis and other attractions are close by. The staff is pleasant from all. Our rooms were not ready at 3:00 check in. We waited in the Lobby for about 25 minutes. The front desk apologized and we understood. Our room was worth the wait. Very nice.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel for your recent hotel visit. We truly appreciate you staying us; and appreciate the time you took share you experience after your departure. It is valued conscientious Guests such as yourself that provide us the feedback necessary to continue to improve our products and services. It was gratifying to read that you rated all areas as Excellent. Your feedback will be shared with the Team to reinforce the fruit of their efforts.

Once again, we thank you for your patronage and hope that we have earned your future business. If there is anything we can do further please feel free to contact me directly.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The whole hotel staff was very pleasant and courteous. They made excellent recommendations for dining. Loved the hot tub!! Shower pressure was to die for! Loved the Sheraton robe they provided. They provide alot of services for the price and location. Felt very safe in this hotel!! I will stay there again, if given the opportunity! Great Job Sheraton Staff!!!

Room Tip: Loved the view from my room!! North side, great view of the Scotts Trade Center and the Metro-link...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Cphtrxtech

We are glad to hear that our staff was polite and courteous during your visit with us. We strive to provide the best customer service in the St. Louis area. We are also glad to hear you enjoyed the extra amenities that make Sheraton unique compared to other hotels. Come see us again soon, and we are certain we will provide the same comfortable guest rooms, safe environment, and courteous staff you expect from us!
Mattoon, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had an excellent stay at the Sheraton City Center! The rooms were very large and clean. The beds were comfortable and the shower pressure was awesome! The front desk staff was very helpful and pleasant. Hotel is only a block away from the scott trade center!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura M
Laura M,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed our large, clean guest rooms. Our housekeeping and engineering teams work very hard to make sure your experience in the guests rooms is perfect. We are also glad to hear that the Front Desk team took excellent care of you during your visit with us. We are looking forward to the next time you stay with us!
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in eary march and was very pleased. The staff was very friendly answering any questions that I had and every time I needed something they made it happen quickly. The rooms are large with extra furnishings to make your stay more comfy. The beds were very comfortable. The hotel itself seemed very quiet on the guest floors, it was easy to get a good night sleep. They have a super fitness room with lots of equipment and a view of the city while you work out. They also have a nice indoor pool. The location is great with the bus stop and the metro link right across the street and the Scott Trade Center about 500 yards down the street. The only negatives would be that there is no microwave in your room and I thought the bathrooms could use an updating, but the rooms were clean and there was a frig. You have to buy internet use in your room but it is free in the loby. Over all I would recomend this hotel and would easily choose to sty here again.

1 Thank Jeff H
mwright1973, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel & Suites for your recent hotel visit. We truly appreciate you staying with us and appreciate the time you took to share your experience after your departure. It is valued conscientious Guests such as yourself that provide us the feedback necessary to continue to improve our products and services.

It was gratifying to read that you rated all areas as Excellent. Your comments have been shared with our Team to reinforce the fruits of their efforts. As we continue to strive to exceed all guests’ expectations and want every guest to have an exceptional stay; your feedback is imperative for us to better understand the needs and concerns of our guests.

Once again, we thank you for your patronage and hope that we have earned your loyalty and future business. If there is anything we can do further please feel free to contact me directly.