“The Best Staff In The Business”

St. Louis City Center Hotel
Ranked #91 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Clinton, MS
“The Best Staff In The Business”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a few times, and I've never met a more friendly and helpful staff anywhere. The rooms are always perfect and I always get the rest I need. The breakfast buffet is very nice, and the parking is simple and easy.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the interior atrium are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
John O, Food and Beverage Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful comments! It is always a pleasure to hear that our team members are making lasting impressions on our guests. We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Taylor Ridge, Illinois
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here for two nights for a business trip. My meetings were in the Federal Building which is right next door! The hotel is rather large and stately but definitely dated. My room was spacious, clean, and quiet. The furniture was worn. My view was of the interior atrium. The bed was comfortable. The WiFi service was spotty while I was there so I was not able to use it. The parking garage is nice but a bit spooky at night.

I arrived rather late on a Sunday evening and there are NO resturants nearby that I could see. I didn't feel safe wandering around looking for a place to eat. I ordered a burger from room service and it was good. I also ate the breakfast buffet (free to SPG members). The food was standard buffet fare but the restaurant staff was very attentive and polite.

I will definitely stay here again even though the hotel is nothing special because the proximity to the Federal Building makes up for the average quality of the rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Courtney D, Front Office Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We are aware that some of our facilities are in need of updating. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you will be staying with us again in the future. We look forward to connecting with you in the future and providing you with exceptional service.
Saskatchewan
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 3 days and 2 nights. We booked the suite at this hotel and when we walked into the room, we could not believe how spacious the room was. You could honestly fit 4 people in the suite that is how spacious it was for us. There was a small table and sofa bed in there as well. When you open the curtain, you have a little terrace (but cannot go onto) to look out a little sitting area underneath. With the room being spacious, it could have used some updating such as the couch, a paint job and carpeting.

As this hotel is located downtown, you can see the hotel from the interstate. The hotel has " in and out" parking privileges as a hotel guest for $17, unless you want valet for a little bit more. When you go into the parkade there are elevators to take you up to the lobby and or you level which your room is on. It is close to the "rest" of downtown and amenities such as the Gateway Arch and the park. It is approximately a 20 minute drive to the Anheuser-Busch Brewery and other attractions depending on what you would like to see/do.

Just the one thing I did not like about this room was there was no "WI-FI" the WI-FI was either located in the lobby or another room located on the 13th floor I believe.

Overall I was satisfied with this stay and probably will stay again if I am in thee St. Louis area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Courtney D, Front Office Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you very much for your response. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our location. We do provide wireless internet in all of our guest rooms, in the lobby and on the 13th floor. We look forward to connecting with you upon your next journey to St. Louis.
Columbia
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband, my daughter and I stayed here for an event at the Fox Theater in St. Louis. I got the rooms from Hotwire, and I when I saw the reveal I was skeptical, but though it would be okay. I thought, it's a beautiful hotel and the price seemed right, so, why not. I'll tell you why not.

When we arrived, they were having some type of convention whose attendees were arriving at the same time. It took us 45 minutes to park! Then we went to check in. I requested an outside room and told them I would pay for the upgrade, but they said they had nothing available since there was a convention. Okay, I could deal with that. I also read that you needed your card to get to your floor, but that was not necessary when we stayed here so I guess security was no longer a concern. Our room smelled of old cigarette smoke and the carpet was filthy. They knew there were three of us in the room, I requested a room with two beds, they gave us a room with a bed and a sofa sleeper. The sofa sleeper caved in the middle! And the room had towels for two guests, not three. They had nothing else available.

The rooms were spacious and the beds were nice, but, the rooms looked out into a courtyard and atrium with what was supposed to be fountain, no fountain there, just empty space. Hint: If none of your rooms look outside, perhaps you should keep the inside looking nice.

Also, being a large old hotel, no wifi in the rooms. I asked my daughter to go downstairs (she's a grown woman, hence the issue with the sofa sleeper, had she of been a child, I would have put her in bed with my husband and I), anyway, I asked her to go to the bar and have a drink with me so I could check my e-mail, etc. So, we proceeded to go have cokes in the bar. After almost finishing her coke, she noticed LIPSTICK ON THE GLASS!. OH gross, she didn't have lipstick on! ewwww! Anyway, we then knew we weren't staying in for dinner! duh!

Since the room smelled like smoke and was stuffy, I had turned on the air the first night we got there. We returned from dinner on the 2nd night and although the thermostat was still set for 72, it was 85 degrees in the room!! Ahhhh, I am a middle aged woman! We cannot stand the heat!! I called down and they told me they had nobody there to look at the thermostat, they had all left for the day?!? Left? isn't this a multi-room, multi-story hotel in downtown St. Louis? What did they mean, nobody to look at it. They called back and said they would send someone up soon to take a look, then they called again and said they were sending security up to move us. Never, ever in my life have I stayed in a hotel that when it was the fault of the hotel did I have to move my own stuff in the middle of the night! I have stayed in motels that they moved your things if you had a problem in the room, even if I only paid $50/night. Anyway, we were moved (moved ourselves) to a new room, down the hall, and did I say the carpets were dirty? Our new room with the same layout, but thank goodness air conditioning that worked, had blood stains on the carpet in the bathroom. Ugh, when the poor security guard who "helped" to move some stuff asked me if he could do anything else, I told him, shampoo the carpet? He thought I was serious. Honestly, to run a large, supposedly elegant hotel and to have carpet that looked the way this did, is a disgrace. If the stains were not removable, the carpet should have been replaced. I don't believe that it was even shampooed, maybe ever.

The parking was standard for this hotel. It cost about $17 night. However, it was cold outside so all the smokers were by the elevators in the garage smoking. Which meant that every time I went to the car, I had to be bombarded with smoke.

Obviously they couldn't return our money because we had used Hotwire (I won't do it again), but I don't believe they would have even if they could have, but I won't stay in this hotel again either. It was a shame that such a lovely old hotel was so dirty and in such disrepair. And I think they would keep someone on staff that knows how to repair a thermostat in the middle of the night, or at least pretend to.

The staff, although mostly friendly, was obviously not customer service oriented. To not tell a customer, "don't worry about your things, we will move them for you" I think is a fairly standard rule in the hotel industry. Apparently not for this hotel. I was extremely disappointed with this hotel, and I won't be returning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank findingutopia
Thank you very much for your review. We pride ourselves on delivering outstanding service. We are disappointed to hear that we were not able to deliver that during your recent stay with us. We try to ensure that all of our guest needs are met during their stay and we hope that you give us an opportunity to impress you with our service in the future.
usa
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This hotel is dated. Our windows were of an absent atrium. Great garage access without going outside or through the lobby. My husband would not let me take out the dog because of the bus station and its patrons next door.I have learned over many years to trust him on safety issues. Se

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your response. We appreciate all of our guests taking the time to write a review. We are aware that some of our facilities are in need of an update. We do have many guests who love the view of our atrium. We do take pride in providing all of our guests with exceptional service and hope that you will allow us to impress you with that service in the future.
Nashville, TN
Reviewed November 26, 2012

To be honest, it is a little better than a 3, but not a 4.
The customer service was acceptable. The location was excellent, and the room was huge.
The bed was pretty comfortable.
But that is the end of the good.
The room smelled a little off.
The window was to the inside, and people from the elevator could see in to our room if we left the window open.
Everything was dated.

I did like the bed. Not as comfortable as the Westin we stayed at immediately after in Kansas City after leaving St Louis.
It was comfortable.
If the room was a little cheaper, I would give it 4 stars just because the bed was comfortable.

Would I stay here again? Yes, IF I really needed a down town location and it was cheaper than most of the others. But otherwise, no, I wouldn't.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper during your stay with us. We are aware that some of our facilities are in need of an update. We work very hard to provide our guests with the best service possible. We hope that the next time that you are in St. Louis you will allow us to impress you with our service.
Godfrey, Illinois
Reviewed November 23, 2012

happy with the room, the restaurant personnel and food, the comfort of the room and absolutely all of the staff. Impressed! Great to walk out and head across the street to concert at Scott Trade Center. Restaurant food also exceptional! Shout out to Stacey our waiter at the Bistro!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found the food in the restaurant to be exceptional. We are very happy to hear that our team especially Stacy were able to take such good care of you. We look forward to connecting with you upon your next trip to the St. Louis area.