“Excellent location”

St. Louis City Center Hotel
Ranked #92 of 122 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 3, 2012

For getting around St Louis this hotel is ideally situated, the metro station is directly opposite. Downtown St Louis is a 10 minute walk, 20 min to the St Louis Arch. Clean, well presented rooms, complimentary water much appreciated. Loved the pool. For breakfast try and sit at one of Larrys tables. Nothing was too much for Larry, he was attentive and even though busy took the time to know us and give advice. He is a great asset to the Sheraton and we very much appreciated his efforts. If only all hotels had staff like him. Otrher staff members were friendly and courteous. On this trip i was with my father and brother and hope one day to return with my family.

Room Tip: For large groups it;s handy to know that the sofa beds are very comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Courtney D, Front Office Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate the kind words that you had to say regarding our team especially your glowing remarks regarding Larry. He is a valued asset to our team and we are thrilled to hear that he helped make your stay a memorable one. We look forward to connecting with you upon your next journey in St. Louis.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,065)

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This hotel is centrally located to all the sports arenas in the city, but there isn't much of anything else in the area besides the main train and bus station across the street. The main attractions are about a 20 minute walk from the hotel.

The staff isn't the most outwardly friendly I have seen, but they get the job done. The lobby is a bit dark and has an old feel to it.

The hotel layout is very strange. Rooms start on floor 5 and has two indoor courtyards that look into each other. I guess this is good if you have an interior room so that you can see the sun when looking out your window. We had an exterior room that overlooked the nearby highway overpass.

The room we were in had a separate living area with a couch, desk, and TV. The bedroom was was comfortable as well. The toilet and shower were separate from the sink, that was right outside the restroom, so it's easy for people to get ready at the same time.

The pool is a bit deceiving. It's an indoor pool that reeks of chlorine. It's on the top floor of the hotel, but the views are blocked by the room walls.

Overall, this hotel is okay. Not sure we would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate all of our guest’s feedback as it really helps us to improve the service that we deliver. We are disappointed to hear that our team was not as friendly as they should have been. We pride ourselves on delivering exceptional service and there is no way to do that without being friendly. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our location and we hope that you will give us a second chance to impress you with our service.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Hi,

Stayed at this hotel for the second time and it was even more amazing than the first time.

When I arrived I was extremely tired after my 12 hour flight around the world and being harrased by the TSA. Came to the hotel and got a wonderful welcome from Mr Courtney at the reception, he checked me in with the speed of lighting and even arranged a later checkout for me without hesistation. Being as exhausted as I was I completely forgot my suitcase at the reception which he then brought all the way too my room. He just went above and beyond for me.

Then I went to the restaurant downstairs where Tom arranged my take away for me, he was really sweet and helpful. I was expecting to get my food in nicely arranged foam bags with 1 ketchup and 1 mayo and some plastic cutlery. But I was beyond blown away when I noticed Tom put a beautiful plate in my bag as well as a cotton napking steaknife and a couple of ketchups and mayos. I was so happy, since I am from the Caribbean I love sauces and he didn't go all cheap on me like most other do. I have never encountered someone that put so much thought and care in a take away even for a hotel guest, WOW. If you are reading this Tom You made my night!!

Then there I was the next morning with another challenge hahah no toothbrush or toothpast, called the reception and Bre answered and was so nice to send that up in less than a few mins to my room.

The gym, pool and Jacuzzi are fabulous as well as the sun roof. The room was huge which I love and had everything you can imagine!!

I just love this hotel and the amazing staff.

I would highly recommend anyone to stay here, and this is coming from someone that does not only travel a lot but has also worked in this industry for over 10 years all around the world. So this is in the perspective of a guest as well as a Professional in the industry.

Thank you so much for everything everyone!!

Blessings,

Mariana Hilker

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Courtney D, Front Office Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you very much for your response. We are thrilled to hear that our team as a whole was able to make your stay a memorable one. We pride ourselves on delivering exceptional service and we are happy to hear that you received that. We look forward to connecting with you upon your next journey to St. Louis.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

nice hotel, people working there were pretty nice and helpful. but there is no wireless internet in the rooms. wireless is available in the lobby, which isnt the best place to work, but better than nothing. location for sports and the arch is fantastic. walk to all. dinning is limited in the area.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your response. We are aware that some of the features of our hotel are in need of an updating. We do our best to try to impress all of our guests with superior service. It is disappointing that you did not receive this during your stay. We pride ourselves on the service that we deliver and hope that in the future that you will give us the opportunity to show you our exceptional service.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Positives: If going to a hockey game it's a short walk. If you are traveling with dogs, it's pet friendly. Huge pool and hot tub on the 13th floor. Great water pressure and hotter water than most hotels. The toilet and shower was seperate from the double sink. Most of the staff was not UNfriendly...but not friendly and hospitable like most hotels I've stayed at. Starbuck coffee.

Negatives: Lobby isn't bad but once past that- it is dark, dingy and oh so outdated. We went through hotwire so we got what we got, it must of been a suite. One king sized bed that practically took up the whole bedroom and a living room (dirty, very uncomfortable pull-out sofa), a wet bar, desk and tv. There was 3 of us and after seeing that we had only one bed, we asked to be moved to a room with 2 beds, but they said no since we booked with Hotwire.

No wifi. Really? In this day and age? Hotels with a lesser rating offer free wifi. The internet connection was zippo as there wasn't good reception in our room. This was a HUGE negative!

The wall paper was coming off in some areas of the room and I have never stayed in a hotel where it was so dark, even with all the lights on. With the curtains opened the bed area was better but rest of the rooms were dark.

Our room had a stanky smell to it as if it was a smoker's room even though the hotel is smoke free.

Pool was huge but needed algae remover or something. There was plenty of chlorine as it was very strong smelling but the pool bottom was slick. The hot tub didn't look very sanitary either.

No restaurants or much of anything around the hotel. Close to the hockey stadium and 4 1/2 blocks from the Union Station (which is very dissapointing in the last 15 - 20 yrs), but the immediate area of the hotel is isolated and a bit itimadating. Lots of homeless people hanging out in the park we walked by to the Union Station. Bus station across the hotel.

Other costs involved: $17 for parking per night (which, I suppose is normal for downtown). $14.50 for a burger or sandwhich with fries. $6.50 domestic draft beer. $9.00 for a kids' meal. $9 cab ride for 4 1/2 blks (the ride back from Union Station).

I will continue to use Hotwie but will hope that I don't get this Sheraton again.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere unless you are bringing your dog and going to Scotts Trade Center. If using Hotwire o...
1  Thank moxieme63
Courtney D, Front Office Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for your review. We appreciate our guests taking the time to write these reviews as they are a great way to help us improve the service that we provide to our guests. We strive to make all of our guest experiences great ones. We hope that upon your next trip to St. Louis that you give us the chance to show you our exceptional service.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

The hotel sort of sits on its own and there is not that much nearby - plan to drive around. The rooms feel dated. The suite I stayed in was only one room and had an odd layout though larger than a typical room. The room was along the interior courtyard which is loud as voices echo. The pool is big

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank you for your review. We are aware that some of our facilities are in need of updating. However we do attempt to provide the best service possible. We hope that upon your next journey to St. Louis you will allow us to impress you with our superior service.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

My husband and I recently moved to St. Louis and were looking to do a Staycation in the city. I had hotel points so we decided to redeem them on a night at the Sheraton. I read mixed reviews but thought--what the heck!? it's "free". In hindsight, we wish we would have just stayed home and saved the hotel points.

Like many of the other reviews point out, the carpet is pretty disgusting. We stayed in room 692 and there was a huge stain on the floor when you walk in and the wall had black streaks on it. I was afraid of walking around barefoot. The tub was pretty subpar and the water did not drain well so you have to shower in about three inches of tub water.

The grossest part was when we pulled back the sheets. There was a brown stain in the middle of our sheets. I called housekeeping to see if they'd come up and re-make the bed... and about ten minutes later a man in a maintenance uniform walked up with two top sheets and dropped them off. I had to walk the sheets down to the lobby to request a bottom sheet.

Everything about the hotel seemed old--- from the fake green plants outside the hotel rooms, to the hair dryers in the room with a nasty stickyness and the gym mats that looked like they'd never been cleaned.

I've written over 50 reviews of hotels on Trip Advisor (five hotels in St. Louis) and rarely give low scores. I will never recommend this place to other visitors and am surprised that Starwood Hotels has not sold this hotel off to another brand. Nothing about the service, hotel or amenities was outstanding.

I work for a large company in town and often am asked to make hotel recommendations. Here are my top picks:

Top Tier:
Chase Park Plaza in the Central West End
Ritz Carlton in Clayton
Four Seasons

2nd Tier:
Hilton Downtown (the bar on top is pretty incredible)
Seven Gables Inn in Clayton (Boutique Hotel)
Park Ave. Mansion in LaFayette Square (Bed and Breakfast)
Crown Plaza in Clayton

3rd Teir:
Parkway in the Central West End
Homewood Suites in Clayton

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JustCallmeTourGuide

Thank you for your review. We are aware that some of our facilities are in need of updating. We make every attempt to ensure that our guests are always satisfied. We pride ourselves on delivering outstanding service. We thank you for the feedback as it is a useful tool in helping us improve the guest experience.