“Does not deserve to be a Starwood Hotel”

St. Louis City Center Hotel
Ranked #92 of 122 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My husband and I recently moved to St. Louis and were looking to do a Staycation in the city. I had hotel points so we decided to redeem them on a night at the Sheraton. I read mixed reviews but thought--what the heck!? it's "free". In hindsight, we wish we would have just stayed home and saved the hotel points.

Like many of the other reviews point out, the carpet is pretty disgusting. We stayed in room 692 and there was a huge stain on the floor when you walk in and the wall had black streaks on it. I was afraid of walking around barefoot. The tub was pretty subpar and the water did not drain well so you have to shower in about three inches of tub water.

The grossest part was when we pulled back the sheets. There was a brown stain in the middle of our sheets. I called housekeeping to see if they'd come up and re-make the bed... and about ten minutes later a man in a maintenance uniform walked up with two top sheets and dropped them off. I had to walk the sheets down to the lobby to request a bottom sheet.

Everything about the hotel seemed old--- from the fake green plants outside the hotel rooms, to the hair dryers in the room with a nasty stickyness and the gym mats that looked like they'd never been cleaned.

I've written over 50 reviews of hotels on Trip Advisor (five hotels in St. Louis) and rarely give low scores. I will never recommend this place to other visitors and am surprised that Starwood Hotels has not sold this hotel off to another brand. Nothing about the service, hotel or amenities was outstanding.

I work for a large company in town and often am asked to make hotel recommendations. Here are my top picks:

Top Tier:
Chase Park Plaza in the Central West End
Ritz Carlton in Clayton
Four Seasons

2nd Tier:
Hilton Downtown (the bar on top is pretty incredible)
Seven Gables Inn in Clayton (Boutique Hotel)
Park Ave. Mansion in LaFayette Square (Bed and Breakfast)
Crown Plaza in Clayton

3rd Teir:
Parkway in the Central West End
Homewood Suites in Clayton

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JustCallmeTourGuide
Courtney D, Front Office Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are aware that some of our facilities are in need of updating. We make every attempt to ensure that our guests are always satisfied. We pride ourselves on delivering outstanding service. We thank you for the feedback as it is a useful tool in helping us improve the guest experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,065)

Reviewed August 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on my birthday on a weekday. This hotel was older and the rooms could definitely use updating (the TV were not even flat screen models, but boxy small 28"!), but it was clean and has nice amenities. There is a huge pool and also a hot tub on the rooftop along with a nice workout room. The mattress and pillows were very uncomfortable and the agents at check in were very slow. It is conveniently located within walking distance of major city attractions. Very quiet and the room has nice darkening blinds. They seem to charge you extra for everything... parking $20.... wireless access $10.... I think these things should be included for the price of the room. We actually got a flyer under a door that said they were beginning room renovations that week.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Courtney D, Front Office Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us here at the Sheraton City Center. We have begun updates on some of the features of our guest rooms and we are pleased to report that all of our TV's have been upgraded to the flat panel models. We look forward to your next trip to St. Louis so that you can checkout some of our new amenities.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I booked this room through Priceline for a week for my daughter's birthday present. From the moment we arrived, the friendly staff took care of us every step of the way. I called the week before we got there and Courtney was nice enough to upgrade us to a suite; my daughter was very impressed! Zach at the front desk was terrific and got us into the club room for our stay - we had a nice light breakfast there every morning and enjoyed the snacks at dinner time. We were also able to go in and use the microwave for popcorn during our stay.

The parking lot next door, which is not under the hotel's control, charges $8 a day for parking. You may think this is a deal until you realize you have to come out at 12:01 AM and pay for another day of parking! Rachael at the front desk pointed this out to me and was nice enough to give us complimentary parking in the hotel's ramp for the remainder of our stay. Wow! I've never been at a hotel that was so friendly and polite to its guests.

We took advantage of the hotel's deal to decline housekeeping in exchange for a $5 daily voucher; we used these to splurge on a big breakfast at the hotel restaurant on our last day. It was very nice - homemade waffles, bacon, potatoes...the works! We were very satisfied.

Yes, there is room for improvement: the furniture and carpet were a bit worn here and there, the wallpaper was peeling in some places, and the pool area isn't quite as nice as the pictures may lead you to believe. However, the staff did such a great job for us that we were able to easily look past these few items and have a terrific time in St. Louis.

The location is great for a ball game, the City Museum, or a quick trolley trip to the Arch. I don't know if I would venture out much after dark, but we were always back in the room by 10 at the latest and never had a problem.

Thank you VERY MUCH to the wonderful staff - my daughter and I had a terrific time and it was all because of your amazing people!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Alex L, Director of Operations at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay & feedback. We are delighted to hear that our associates went above and beyond to ensure your daughter had a great birthday. We will be sure to recognize Rachael, Courtney & Zach for their great attention to your expectations. We are happy to hear that our associates attention to detail overshadowed our need for updating.

We look forward to connecting with you in the near future.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Sheraton improved since my last stay five years ago. The breakfast buffet is tasty and hot. The $5 "green room" coupon for denying room service is a nice bonus. I used my coupon to splurge at Columns bar and grill. The bartenders were friendly and happy. The fried raviolis were awesome. The added soap, scrunchy, mouth wash made the extended stay more bearable. I recommend taking advantage of the gym and pool - very clean. The room furniture is a bit "used" and could be refreshed. Overall the Sheraton is a great place. The location to Busch stadium and the bus, train, and taxi cab stand is another plus.

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you for your recent stay & feedback. We are glad to hear that your experience was better than your previous stay. We continuously strive to enhance the property to ensure our guests expectations are met. Although we are in need of updating, we are delighted to hear that our associates interactions were great ones. We will pass the compliments to the chef and his team as they do show a lot of pride in the product they put out for guests.

We look forward to connecting with you in the near future once again.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

If you like ripped old furniture and stained carpet, this place might be for you! Just like staying in a thrift store! A really musty thrift store. With room service with that straight-from-the-microwave taste.

1  Thank Ssam_slc

Thank you for your recent stay & feedback. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Although our rooms are in need of updating, we are hopeful that the interactions with our associates were pleasant ones. We would like to apologize for the unsatisfactory room service experience. Our culinary team takes pride in the product they deliver and we will share your comments with them.

We are hopeful that you will connect with us in the near future once again.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Three of us were on a barnstorming tour through the midwest and this was our hotel in St. Louis. We all had our own rooms at the hotel.

Check in went smoothly and the lobby was nicely appointed. This property is mixed use. The bottom floors are hotel rooms and the tops floors are luxury condos.

I can see where some of the comments come from about this place needing updating, but the issues I saw were minor and the place is far from being run down. None of the small issues detracted from our overall stay.

The rooms are huge! At least 50 percent bigger than your typical room. After being on the road it was nice to have the extra space to stretch out. The room had everything we needed from a wet bar to a spacious seating area,

The location is also very good. It is across the street from the Scottrade Center where the Blues play hockey and concerts are held and is a 10 minute straight shot to walk to Busch Stadium.

I would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to others.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Alex L, Director Of Operations at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Greetings,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. The space of our rooms are a great attraction to many and their families. Our proximity to the venues make it a great place to come and enjoy our dining venues prior to the event beginning.

We look forward to connecting with you in the near future.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Bid on rooms of 3 1/2stars and ended up here. Arrived by train, Amtrack station just across the street. The Metrolink light rail, and a bus facility across the street also, so public transportation is a breeze! Busch stadium is about a 4-5 block walk. Front desk, and everyone @ this hotel, have service to the customer down pat. From housekeeping to the doorman, your needs are #1. Rooms are a bit dated, clean and well maitained, but large with a seating (living room) and seperate bedroom. Upgraded (20$) to get into the Concierge Room (8th floor), had a Continental Breakfast hours, and an evening Hors d'oeuves hours. Both were good for light meals, and saved me some cash on meals I didnt have to buy. Charlie the Concierge completed the experience. Overall the hotel more and the employees are some of the best I've experienced. They are friendly and helpful, there are an abundance of staff that are there for anything you need, however they aren't in your face and overberingly helpful (good thing, I hate service industry people who think, every move you make, is a sign that you need something). Next trip to St Louis will be for a Hockey game, Kiel Center is within rock throwing distance. I just hope Sheraton accepts my bid again through Priceline.

• Stayed: August 2012
Alex L, Director of Operations at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Greetings,

Thank you for your recent stay & feedback. We are happy to hear the great associate encounters you had during your stay. We pride ourselves on having our associates deliver to our guests expectations. Our club lounge does offer some great value for the price and can enjoy some of our culinary team's foods during the afternoon.

We hope you connect with us in the near future once again.