“Upscale Hotel Next to Busch Stadium”
Review of Westin St. Louis

Westin St. Louis
Ranked #20 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago
“Upscale Hotel Next to Busch Stadium”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night, on business.
The location of the hotel is directly across from Busch Stadium. Coming from Lambert Field – St. Louis’ main airport – it is very easy to take the Metrolink. This is St. Louis’ light rail public transportation system. The stations in the airport are at both terminal 1 - American & United, among others – and terminal 2 – Southwest. The fare from the airport is only $4. Going back was only $2.25 on a Saturday. Tickets are purchased from automated kiosks located at the airport and at the stations. Don't forget to validate your ticket after purchase. The validation machine is right there. The station for the Westin is called the Stadium station. It is literally right in between Busch Stadium and the hotel. As with all public transportation in large metropolitan areas, I might not take it late at night, but Metrolink to this hotel is very convenient.

I had a very large, modern, well –appointed, spotlessly clean, king room, with a large flat screen TV. There is an upholstered chair with ottoman; a work desk and comfortable desk chair.
Unfortunately, there is no refrigerator without using the minibar. There is an in-room safe that was big enough for my Ipad, but may not have fit a large lap top.
There is a coffee set up in the room on the large L shaped work desk. Two Starbucks coffee pods are supplied; one regular and one decaf. Additional coffee pods are available for purchase. I guess they decided that having someone like me have two cups, or take a coffee pod home, was cost prohibitive.
There is a very large bathroom with both a large shower and a tub. The shower has a very interesting shower head that is positioned very high [great for tall people] and provided ample water pressure in a directly downward direction. I believe some manufacturers would call this a rainforest shower head.
There were only two difficulties with an otherwise very pleasant stay. First, when meeting with colleagues in the hotel bar, there was a small issue with fruit flies, which required that we cover our drinks with a napkin or risk have a tiny fly swimming in our cocktail. I found this very odd considering both the time of year and the fact that the rest of the hotel was spotless. The second issue was that there was no automated wake-up call provided on the phone menu. There is a clock radio with alarm in the room. I called guest services and requested a wake-up call. The call never came. Fortunately, I had actually figured out how to set the clock radio as a back-up, and my meeting was not until 10am. I did mention the missed wake-up call upon check out. The front desk staff individual was very proactive and not only apologized for the error, but additionally indicated that she was providing me with additional Starwood points as an additional way to make up for the error. This was a very proactive and guest service friendly thing to do; and was much appreciated.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed and candid comments from your recent stay in St. Louis, and with us here at the Westin! I sincerely apologize for the difficulties you experienced, and have personally addressed our management staff who will ensure these kinds of difficulties do not happen again in the future.
I am delighted to know our front desk associate was proactive and able to provide attentive, friendly service. We look forward to the opportunity of hosting you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Columbia
Reviewed April 4, 2013

As others have noted, as a premium Starwood you get use to most Westins since they start to all feel the same. That's not the case with this one. This is one of the nicest Westins I've stayed in the US. The carpet feels new, the design fresh. I will stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for naming us one of the nicest Westins in the US! Having just completed our guest room renovation, the carpeting is indeed new. Thank you for sharing your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Spooner, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My boyfriend actually booked the hotel for a night in the city after I flew in for a visit. He said when booking he just kept coming back to the Westin so decided to book it. The parking was confusing at first when you pulled up but the valet staff were very helpful. I love old warehouses converted and I think that the Westin did a FABULOUS job of converting it, it was beautifully decorated and I'm glad to see other reviews on the bathrooms, because never have I enjoyed a shower so much in a hotel and my boyfriend made the same comment. When we woke up the next morning we decided to stay another night and had no problem booking another night and they let us keep the same room, unfortunately when we came in later that night our keys didn't work but with some ID checking at the front desk we were up and running again. The bar was really nice and we enjoyed our bartender, a young guy who was eager and nice to all the patrons. The location to the sights were great, we enjoyed being within walking distance and we both will stay here again and hope to go to a game in the near future. Great place, one of the better places I've stayed in awhile!

Room Tip: When rebooking they gave us the option for $40 more to have a view of Busch stadium, seemed like a w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We're thrilled you decided to stay another night, and thank you for taking the time to share such great comments! Our historic building has indeed been transformed into a modern, yet classic space which allows for the perfect escape. I have personally thanked our bartender, Andy, for providing such attentive service. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed April 1, 2013

As Starwood Platinum members, we've stayed in plenty of Westins over the years and generally love the brand. But we rank the Westin St. Louis at the top of the U.S.-based properties. The recent renovations to the building make it an outstanding space. We were delighted to be upgraded to a spectacular suite (one of our all-time favorite rooms) and to receive complimentary breakfasts. Each staff member went out of their way to assist us, especially the valet attendants. Top notch service! And with a view of the Cardinals stadium, we could just imagine the fun of being there on a game night (sadly we missed Opening Day by a week!)

Room Tip: Our suite was on the 2nd floor. Don't be disappointed by the lower floor, we had a fantastic vie...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood, and especially to us here at the Westin St. Louis! Naming us the Best Westin in the U.S. makes us very proud, and I thank you! Our recent renovations have transformed our historical building into a modern, yet classic space. I have personally thanked our staff for going out of their way to offer such personalized, attentive service. Again, thank you for your loyalty, as well as taking the time to share your comments. We stand ready to serve on your next visit!
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband booked a surprise, overnight getaway for my birthday (that I was none too excited about):-) He chose the Westin because he knows it is one of my favorite hotels. It is a clean, comfortable hotel with modern decor and spacious rooms. I would LOVE to have the bathroom in my own house! I made sure to take advantage of the perfect tub for a nice, hot bubble bath. The only thing missing was my kids banging on the door asking me where something they misplaced was. Lol All the staff we encountered were friendly. My hubby had booked a spa package for me in the hotel's Solera Spa & Health Club. Apparently, he and "John" had worked out all the details prior to our arrival. Adrianna, the massage therapist, did a wonderful job on the massage, body scrub, and hand rejuvenation. No more winter alligator skin for me! If only I lived closer! The hotel has its own restaurant or there are many to choose from within walking distance. We've eaten in their restaurant before and always had good food and excellent service. We chose to try Joe Bucks, but wished we would've stayed at the hotel. Upon returning to our room we found room service had delivered a complimentary dessert for my birthday! Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce and whipped cream...delicious! I enjoyed a nice long slumber in their "Heavenly Bed". Our stay couldn't have been any better...well maybe if it would've been longer! It was just exactly what this first grade teacher, working on a master's degree, wife and mother of two, unexcited about her 40th birthday needed!

• Stayed March 2013
Happy Belated Birthday! We are thrilled to have been a part of your much needed getaway and celebration! Our staff truly enjoys what they do, and I'm delighted it shows. Our spacious guest bathrooms are the perfect place to excape for some tranquil alone time.
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your comments-- we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed at this fabulous hotel only one night and I wish we could have stayed longer. Gary greeted us warmly as we arrived taking our luggage and giving us his most beautiful smile. The front desk check in process was again warm and friendly. Our room was fabulous, we have stayed at many hotels, but they thought of everything at this hotel. The lighting in the room and bathroom was perfect, the shower was exquisite, the bed with many different sizes of pillows was fantastic. Everyone we had contact with went above and beyond our expectations! You all deserve more than a five star rating!

Room Tip: All rooms the way they have them set up would be fine
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We certainly wish you would have stayed longer too! Thank you for naming us a 'fabulous hotel' and for recommending more than 5 stars-wow! Our historic building allows us to offer spacious guest rooms and guest bathrooms, and our Heavenly Beds leave one with a feeling of renewal. I have personally thanked our staff for being so warm and hospitable, and thank you for posting a review!
Brownsburg, Indiana
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We recently took a short weekend trip to St. Louis and wanted to stay near downtown. The Westin was located perfectly for us. When the lady at the reception desk found out it was my birthday and we wanted a room with a view, she upgraded us to the executive suite! Absolutely every hotel employee we encountered was pleasant and extremely professional. The food in the grill was outstanding. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We are thrilled to have been part of your special celebration! I have personally thanked our front line staff for being so personally attentive, as well as our culinary staff for adding their personal touches to our food.
When availability allows, we're delighted to give upgrades to assist in making your stay even more special. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments!