“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Meramac
Transit: Metro-Link: Clayton Station. Station is 2 blocks south of the restaurant.
Description: At Mad Tomato we believe in creating one meal at a time. The rituals of farming, preparing and serving food are that of generations and we will continue those traditions. We support local, organic farmers and a sustainable society. All proteins and seafood are anti-biotic and hormone-free and never endanger our environment. We strive to operate our business with the smallest carbon footprint. We believe in the planets future and want to do our part to live green.
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've now been to Mad Tomato 3 times and I'm kicking myself for not having gone more often. This restaurant that's in one of the unluckiest spots in town (I think 4 different restaurants have been there in the past 15 years) is a standout not just in Clayton, but all over St. Louis. Owned by one of the Raccanelli brothers, of pizza fame, this unpretentious spot should not be missed. From the shrimp salad to the pasta with pork ragout, the amazing foccaccia served with everything, the food is outstanding. Everything is made from scratch, the service is attentive and friendly and the prices are actually reasonable. I've only eaten there for lunch and it's never crowded (this worries me as I don't want it to close) but can't wait to check it out for dinner. Forget Pastaria or the "scene" at Libertine and Five Star, do yourself a favor and check out Mad Tomato - you won't be disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Lisa M

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“Amazing food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Mad Tomato instantly became one of my favorite Italian restaurants in St. Louis. While not typical traditional Italian, this restaurant has an incredibly homey feel. Despite us not having a reservation on a busy weekend, the host went out of his way to make sure we got a table as soon as possible and helped to make us comfortable at the bar while waiting. Our server was extremely accommodating, knowledgeable, and personable. The complimentary focaccia bread was delicious (most places don't even serve bread anymore!), and everyone in my party was 100% satisfied with their meals. Lastly, the white chocolate raspberry tiramisu is out of this world. Reasonably priced and nicely decorated--very cute but professional. Must-go!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Anna G
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Quality food, attentive servics”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Downtown Clayton is not known for its lack of nice lunch spots. Perhaps because if the many area options or because Mad Tomato is tucked between a pedestrian zone and government buildings, I had missed this gem until just this year. Don't make my mistake -- check it out now!

Mad Tomato is an energetic but professional environment. The lunch menu offered an array of options which made two St. Louis locals and an east coast guest quite happy. The menu included a heavy emphasis on local, fresh ingredients and a balance of lighter and more substantial options. All three of our meals -- entree salad, toasted ravioli, and a sandwich -- were thoughtfully prepared and plated. Even the pickle accompanying the sandwich was memorable.

The wait staff are also quite with mentioning. This is not the location for a highly confidential conversation -- largely because the Mad Tomato staff are so frequently by to ensure you have everything you need, are loving your meal, and to top off your beverage. They are upbeat and well-informed on the menu.

The only downside to this place is finding it then securing parking. If you go for lunch, head over a little before noon to ensure you get a nearby parking spot. And bring your change so you can make use of one of Clayton's many metered parking spot.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank M M
“Off the Clayton grid”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Youll find this hidden gem. Small and casual, the food is very good to excellent.
We went to another restaurant in town that serves a similar menu and found it to be a 1.5 hr wait. Sorry, life is too short for that. A few blocks to the southwest we found Mad Tomato. Excellent service, mostly locally sourced ingredients made for a memorable dinner. Pizza, mussels, house salad, Eggplant Parm, pasta, veges, desssert, etc all very good to excellent. They also give a generous pour on wine by the glass. No scrimping here.
I will recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a "let's not cook tonight but where do we go?" place.
I'm smitten!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank dmshaner
loopgrl5
“Ask for Melanie!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I have gone here several times and I really only enjoy it when we get Melanie as our server. She knows the food and drink list inside & out, has a great attitude & goes above and beyond. Other times we've had 2 different guys and they barely talk to us, we feel like we are intruding on their day and that we certainly aren't welcome. Sadly I think one of those guys is related to the owner.

Get a pizza, try the great original cocktails made w fresh ingredients, and save room for dessert. Desserts there are some of the best in the city.