“Enjoyable Meal But Overpriced”
Review of Farmhaus

Farmhaus
Ranked #317 of 2,971 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Lindenwood Park
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Overall we had a good time at the Farmhaus. Most of the items tasted great, but they were over priced for the quantity of food. I would consider it a tapas style dining experience as none of the entrees would fill up a normal person. The portions were small even though sharing was encouraged.

We enjoyed the casual feel and the napkins gave us a good chuckle. The service was amazing, no issues there. It was very crowded and loud, but we still were able to talk without screaming.

We ordered the following items: The Roasted Ozark Forest Mushroom Salad ($13) and the Fried Chicken Oyster Salad ($12) both were just okay. Nachos ($10) probably the best value on the menu, we really liked them and would recommend them. Sea Scallops ($25) just okay and for only 3 of them WAY overpriced! Our favorite item was the Berkshire Pork ($20). It was excellent and would highly recommend it. Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf ($19) it was just okay, would not order it again.

The Scallops, Pork, and Meatloaf were maybe 1/3 of the size that a normal restaurant would serve so the prices for the quantity was a little ridiculous. I would understand the prices if they were in a high end area or a really expensive retail area, but they aren't. I would understand if they offered a nice, relaxing dining area, but they don't. We do not have an issue paying a good amount for a decent meal or a upscale dining experience, but sadly they fell a little short. The Pork was worth the $20, but the meatloaf and scallops were not!

With a large selection of places to dine in the St. Louis area we probably won't be back. I debated only an average rating because of the value, but overall we did have a good time and enjoyed most of the items.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We went to the Farmhaus Restaurant at 8 pm on August 16, 2014 as a celebration of our Wedding Anniversary. The dress is clearly casual (we saw jeans, shorts, etc.). The place was packed and crowded and there were a few tables outside in the front but the weather was threatening to rain. We were shown to a table and began perusing the menu.

The place was so noisy and loud that my partner and I had to shout at each other across a very small table which also wobbled. As we read the menu I found that I was looking desperately trying to find something that sounded very appetizing. I was selecting a dinner by a process of elimination rather than trying to find something that sounded delicious.

Everything seemed very expensive for a small, store-front restaurant. Nachos were $10, a pork (who knows what kind) was $13, fried green tomatoes were $11, a red snapper was $25 (!), a bacon wrapped meatloaf was $19, and a New York strip steak was $41. There was a butcher's plate of various meats and cheeses including pork pie, chicken heart terrine, smoked hog's head, chicken liver mousse, gouda and cheddar for the whopping price of $28.

After about ten minutes the loud noise was wearing me down and I suggested to my partner that we leave and go somewhere else. She agreed and as I started to stand up the wobbly table wobbled enough to spill a glass of water, some of which spilled on her dress.

We were so glad to get out of there. The food did not look that great (although we never had any), the food was very expensive for what they offered, the table was wobbly and the noise was incredible. I can't understand why chefs and restaurant owners don't think about their customers comfort and the ambiance of their restaurant. We will never go back.

1  Thank john07_11
Reviewed August 2, 2014

While you can order plates as entrees, sharing amongst everyone at your table is the way to go. Do not pass up the Butcher's Plate of meats and cheeses. The chilled corn soup was delicious, so fresh. We also enjoyed the mushroom salad. The farm vegetable salad was good, but not spectacular so I would opt for another dish. The porchetta bao Korean sandwiches were fabulous but the homemade kimchi was too spicy; several bites of it would have ruined your taste buds for the rest of the meal. The grouper was so good we ordered a second.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

New to TripAdvisor, and I have been back to Farmhaus so many additional times, but I wanted to review my experience here from last year, as it was my first time, and this is why I have returned multiple times!
I dined with a group of friends, and I was blown away! The food was amazing and the staff were beyond amazing! We ordered about 18 different items between the four of us (two of which are chef's) and none of us could decide on an exact favorite. It's a unique dining experience, a fun way to try new foods and we absolutely loved it! The power went out during dinner, and they didn't miss a beat. I was completely impressed. It is a little on the pricey side, but totally worth every penny, we will all be returning. Well done Farmhaus!

Reviewed June 20, 2014

We celebrated my son´s college graduation at the Farmhaus with my family & friends and it was amazing. From the service to the meals themselves, everything was perfect. It was my son´s choice and it could not have been better. Their menu is constantly changing because they use organic and seasonal ingredients from local farms and the selection of dishes depends on what the chef is inspired with on that particular day that you visit. We all ordered different items and tried each other´s dishes and they were all delicious! Their wine list was quite good as well; not to mention the desserts which were different from the norm and yummy. If you are in St. Louis and want a memorable meal, I definitely recommend the Farmhaus. I also recommend that you make reservations. It is somewhat pricey, but with the quality and taste of the food you are getting, it is well worth it.