“Simply Wonderful”

St. Louis Symphony Orchestra
Ranked #35 of 275 things to do in Saint Louis
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I love the variety that's presented by SLSO annually. Last season, they presented the music of Michael Jackson. Also, generally once a season, they will show a movie and play the score (i.e. Psycho or Star Wars). My parents exposed me to the SLSO as a child and I've been hooked since. I'm looking forward to my next visit.

All reviews
in 23 reviews
"tribute"
"composer"

Reviewed January 2, 2012

I have nothing but praise for this wonderful institution.

Reviewed December 31, 2011

We've heard some wonderful symphonies here. The STL Orchestra is talented.

The hall is rather elegant with grand circling white wood staircases and Christmas red carpet lining the halls and stairs. There is a drink bar and a snack bar where they sell some pretty tasty cake. It's expensive however ($5/slice).

It's a popular past-time for business people and symphony lovers. However, socially speaking, there aren't very many young people to talk to or blend with, which is a little discouraging. If you aren't grey-haired you may feel just a little out of place. Many other goers are not friendly or social, but rather clique-ish.

The hall has good accoustics. You can hear the symphony well wherever you sit. We usually sit close to the stage just so that we can see the performers up close.

The tickets run anywhere from about $40-80bucks per ticket on average. Sometimes they have specials on the tickets. Not usually. I recommend that you sit in the center front parquet, especially if you are first visiting. Ask for seats that are in rows A-J.

The Selections: The program directors do a good job of intermingling classical favorites with quality unknown selections. Occasionally, you'll have to suffer through an undynamic. monotonous piece to get the better selections.

Should you visit the symphony, I hope you'll enjoy it.

Reviewed December 28, 2011

a great orchestra in a great Hall - one of the jewels of St. Louis, and one of the finest in the country. Great programming, too.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 25, 2011

The SLSO is my favorite orchestra in the U.S. I Live in the New York City area and I'd rather see the St. Louis Symphony orchestra any day.
While attending college at Washington University in St. Louis I took advantage of the student rate tickets at Powell Hall on many occasions. Even if you don't get a student rate ticket the cost of tickets is quite reasonable in comparison to other major city orchestras.