“HUGE Cockroach”

Ranked #69 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Beecher, Illinois
“HUGE Cockroach”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

First let me start by saying the staff was extremely friendly. That is the only good thing I will say about this hotel. I knew this hotel was designed to be historic, but I didn't realize that beyond the lobby everything is just old! We could not get the air conditioner to work. We were messing with a knob on what we thought was the air conditioner (could have been a heater - who knows it was so ancient) and could not get it to work. Then we tried an old knob on the wall across the room which also didn't turn on the air conditioning. I would think being in the middle of July with high humidity they would have it running already for their guest. As I was searching the room for an available outlet (never found one) a HUGE cockroach ran across the bathroom floor. The body of the cockroach was 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. I was not about to step on it for fear of releasing eggs I might take with me and would not stay/sleep in this room for fear it or more would crawl in my suitcase. At midnight we were walking around downtown St. Louis looking for a new hotel. I will say the staff looked horrified when we showed them the picture we took on our cell phone and they were quick to refund our money. Look elsewhere. You might pay a little more but it's worth.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Zach F, Rooms Manager at Missouri Athletic Club, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. While I am pleased to hear that our staff was friendly and responsive, it is very upsetting to hear about your experience. I cannot express how deeply sorry I am that we fell so short of your expectations.

I apologize for the air conditioning was not working properly in your room. I am someone who gets extremely uncomfortable if I’m too hot and can understand how frustrating this can be. We have a preventive maintenance program in place with our engineering team as well as a room inspection process with our housekeeping staff to ensure the room is completely clean and in working order. With that being said, we are still human and are certainly capable of making mistakes or missing things. It is also possible that something went wrong with the air conditioning between inspection of the room and your arrival. Regardless, we have an engineer on duty 24/7 that is always ready to react and assist in any way that they can to resolve these type of situations. In the rare case that our engineering staff comes across a problem they are unable to fix immediately they will work with our guests and the front desk to find the best possible solution to accommodate the needs and comfort of our guests.

It is unsettling and disappointing to learn that there was a roach in your room. I assure you that we take thorough preventative measures to treat all areas of the club and hotel for pests through a contracted professional pest control service. Overall, those services have proven to be effective in keeping our building free of pests, however the experience you encountered proves that it is still possible for an unfortunate situation such as this to arise. No matter what we do to prevent these things from happening, it does not excuse the fact that it did happen, and that what you had to go through is completely unacceptable.

I understand the enormity of the situation and you have my sincere heartfelt apologies for what you experienced during your short time with us. As you mentioned, the front desk team immediately issued a full refund to you, but if there is anything additional that we can do to try to make this right for you then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you again for your candid review and for complementing our staff. We welcome you back to the hotel and hope you will allow us another opportunity to show you we can provide you an exceptional stay.

zfreeman@mac-stl.org

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 23, 2013

As a frequent business traveler, I have stayed at my fair share of 'next to the highway' type hotels. It was great taking the opportunity to spend a few nights at the MAC. The staff was incredibly friendly and very helpful. The lobby was exquisite with lovely art work and large spaces for meeting friends or just hanging out.The room in which I stayed was large, very clean and very comfortable. The bathroom was small and a bit worn by today's standards, but certainly functional. I also had an opportunity to use the weight room and cardio equipment which were dated but very adequate. I loved the downtown location and the covered parking garage was priced competitively. I look forward to coming back to the MAC for business and with my family.

Room Tip: While I had an inside room (no view of the city), it was quiet and very large.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DaveB54046
Zach F, Rooms Manager at Missouri Athletic Club, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your review! I am very pleased to hear you were able to enjoy more of a unique experience in our historic building than the typical road warrior hotel. We can't wait to welcome you back to the MAC for business and/or pleasure so please come back and see us soon and thank you again for the positive review!

Dimondale, Michigan
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We research hotels in downtown St. Louis for our recent family vacation to the fabulous City Museum (the one on Washington), and stumbled upon this gold mine! Booked rooms directly through the MAC by phone. Rates were reasonable, and service, atmosphere, location, accommodations were close to excellent. We found all of the staff to be very helpful with our day trip planning and general "how do we get around" questions. They made us feel like we were members of their club while we stayed. No tipping, good food and drink prices. Only problem was the second bed in our room was really squeaky. That box spring was in need of being replaced, but the kids slept just fine regardless. It is a very old, ornate yet comfortable old hotel. Highly recommend it for your next stay in downtown St. Louis!

2 Thank Brewphy1
Thank you for your review of the MAC! The City Museum is definitely a unique place and great for the family. I'm delighted that you found us and that we were able to be part of your family trip! Please accept my apologies for the box spring. I'm happy to hear that everyone was still able to sleep well and I thank you for letting us know about it. Thank you also for recommending us and complimenting our staff! We hope you will come stay with us again during your next trip to St. Louis!

Illinois
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My family stayed here for a night and went to a Cardinals game. The first floor is fantastic! It's an historic building and really shows off the lobby and other rooms. Henry took us on a tour of the building and also recommended the Jack Buck Grill for dinner. The food was good there and the tour was very interesting. It makes you feel like you are living in the city 60 years ago. The location of the hotel is excellent too.

The room was average. It was a bit small and pretty outdated. Not a lot of room in the bathroom. We found the historic atmosphere to make up for the room though. A special thank you goes out to Ricki, one of the staff who helped us jump our vehicle when our van wouldn't start. He was very helpful and refused to let me tip him for his trouble. The staff was extremely kind and courteous. A nice stay and find in the middle of St. Louis!

1 Thank Midwestguy1
Thank you for your review! We receive a lot of great comments on our historic building but I'm thrilled Henry was able to spend some time showing you around the club and telling the story of the MAC. We will be certain to thank and reward Ricki for his efforts in assisting you with your van. Both of these team members have been with the club for 20+ years and have an unmatched dedication to servicing our members and guests. It is fantastic to have them mentioned by name. We would love to have you back soon - maybe next time for some playoff baseball at Busch Stadium?! Thank you again for your review!

Lebanon, Indiana
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I must say the hotel is a little outdated but the rooms are nice and clean. The staff though is with out a doubt world class. They have been so helpful and friendly our entire stay. Catherine at the front desk is so friendly and helpful. Also we had a issue where I accidentally locked my keys in the car and the front desk sent out the hotel technician (Allen). He was so helpful getting my car unlocked. I can not say enough about the staff here. I can not wait for next 4th of July so we can come and enjoy this hotel again!!!!!

1 Thank gastonglock22
Zach F, Rooms Manager at Missouri Athletic Club, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and for the kind words about our staff! Both Katherine and Allen are great assets to our team and we will be sure to celebrate the success of their service with them. We would love to have you back even sooner, but if not then we will definitely look forward to seeing you again next year for the 4th! Thank you again!

Columbia, Missouri, United States
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Came here after a ball game. Loved the bar room. They let us smoke cigars and they served great drinks while we hung out. Great time! Awesome location close to Busch stadium, the casino, and everything else downtown.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Andy B
Zach F, Rooms Manager at Missouri Athletic Club, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your review! We love having fans stay with us while in town for games or sporting events, and love to hear that you had a great time with us! We hope the MAC becomes your home away from home when you come back for a game or just to get away. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We found the Athletic club in Trip advisor under B & B. It is the most wonderful old building with fantastic staff both on reception and in the bar. It's the perfect place to stay and our room overlooked the Mississippi river. The food at the bar was excellent. The hotel is only a short stroll from the Gateway Arch which is fantastic and a definite must see.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JuliaH1
Thank you so much for your review! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our historic building, the view from your room, and the food in the Jack Buck Grill. Most of all, it is wonderful to hear that our staff treated you well during your stay. It sounds like you had a nice trip to the Arch as well, which I must agree - it is certainly a must see while in the city. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to St. Louis!