“from the glamour days of travel”

Missouri Athletic Club
Ranked #68 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Mississauga, Canada
“from the glamour days of travel”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Looks are deceiving…from the outside, the Missouri Athletic Club looks small and worn down, but once inside, the building reveals itself! Lots of wooden paneling, original paintings, crystal chandeliers, rich carpets, beautiful statues…there is so much to look at that it takes a minute to adjust your eyes and find your way to the check in desk.
Time has stood still; the reception area looks like something out of an old black and white movie-right down to the little cubbyholes for the room keys. Service was prompt & friendly, my room was on the 8th floor, an interesting set up…renovations were obvious. I think this was 2 single rooms converted to accommodate a king size bed and bathroom. The room was dated but very clean and spacious with real windows that opened! I was staying for a few days and on the second day; I went to look at the room next to the lobby to admire the room. A gentleman cleaning noticed me and offered to take me on a tour of the building: wow, the building houses several ballrooms, several floors of athletics facilities, several dining areas, a library…but best of all was Henry, who gave me the tour. He told me stories of the weddings, the music events, the athletic awards and functions and of the celebrities who have passed through. He took pride in his work and in the building he took care of. I tried to tip him but he refused, he just wanted me to see the building.

This facility is not for those who want the hotel experience that is the same in every city; this hotel is for those who admire craftsmanship and old fashion charm; this is for those people who appreciate first class service, not because it’s their job, but because they take pride in providing the best experience for the traveller. Just like the movies, the staff even greeted me by name…

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank cj888jc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 13, 2011

The lobby is beautiful and the people that work at the MAC are super helpful and very friendly. There is a large workout facility. The rooms are old though--torn wall paper, thin towels and old windows that don't do a good job of keeping out the noise from the freeway---it was LOUD!! We went to Target to buy a white noise machine because there isn't an option to have a fan setting in the room (something to possibly drown out the freeway noise). Once we got our little machine we were fine (with ear plugs). The bed is VERY comfortable and the shower had good pressure. I think we only paid 100.00 for the room so we didn't feel ripped off but I'm not sure we would stay there again,

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank barbiflys_11
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We booked online and got there.. The lobby looked promising but we got to our room, very dated and smelled. Crazy small and windows have not been cleaned in years. We opened a door thinking it was a closet and it opened to another room. There was no lock. I went down and complained the lady was very kind and moved us to a suite which was way bigger and a bit nicer. Would not stay again. Great location to Football Dome.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank doubled2010

Travelers are raving about these Saint Louis hotels

Owatonna, Minnesota
Reviewed September 23, 2011

My stay at MAC was not what I had expected, the rooms are not aging well. The lobby is very nicely decorated and the attached main floor rooms are really neat to see for history, but as far as staying there, I wouldn't do it again. They have a dress code which I feel is fine for restaurants, but we were reminded that the dress code applied to the hallways and elevator as well. This may suit some people, but the snobby attitude wasn't for me

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank FLSTC08
Geneva, Illinois
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I thought the "MAC" was really nice, even though it was aging. I would stay there again even though it needs a few renovations. I got room 1019 and it had a wonderful view of the river.

Room Tip: get a room on the outside
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 10, 2011

When you first walk into the lobby of the building it is like a step back in time. The oak paneling and well dressed ceilings were amazing. The staff were help and friendly.

I went up to my room and it was just okay. I am not disappointed. I read the other reviews and knew what to expect. Here are my criteria: 1. Will I be safe? 2. Is it clean? 3. Is it affordable? 4. Does it have a hot shower? The answer to all of those was Yes. I don't need to stay in a hotel with fancy this and that. I need a clean bed and a hot shower. The MAC was just fine.

I visited the restaurant on the 4th floor. It too had a step back in time feeling. I sate at the bar and had a beer while I checked some email before heading back to the conference at America's Center. The bartender was nice and helpful. Unfortunately, they did not have any ice cream, so they were not able to make a shake (even though it was on the menu).

The hotel is a short walk from everywhere. I walked to the Arch, landing and America's Center (conference center). All were very short walks ( ~5 minutes) away.

In summary: it's a neat old building that has a clean efficient room in a great location at a great price. I liked the "old school" charm of the place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank pmdockins
Murphysboro, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Great location, within walking distance of the Edward Jones Dome, the Landing, the Arch, Busch Stadium, Lumiere Place, and the old Courthouse. The lobby feels like a boys' club, with dark wood and the sort of decor that made me picture wealthy old men in smoking jackets. Our room was clean and slightly larger than average. The bathroom could use an update, but was also clean and worked well. If you're looking for a place with a gym, the MAC beats the pants off any other hotel - it has services comparable to a YMCA, including a full gym, raquetball courts, an indoor running track, and more.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple