“Worth the trip” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tavern Kitchen and Bar

The Tavern Kitchen and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Tavern Kitchen and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 2,874 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Big Bend
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Worth the trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

We ate here because we had a gift card and have heard great things about it. We actually tried to eat here a couple weeks ago but when we called on a Saturday for reservations that night they said that to get a table we should have called on a tuesday, so that is what we did this week. The place had a great atmosphere even though it is in a strip mall. I think that is a benefit because there is ample parking. Our waitress was awesome and had great suggestions. They split a salad for us and looking back we could have done without it due to the volume of food we had. We each had a plate that had 4 small plates of different entrees of their menu, which we split too so we both had 8 different types of food to eat. I judge restaurants by their carrot cake and was not disappointed in theirs. It came out warm and gooey with fantastic cinnamon ice cream on top. We had a bottle of wine, one salad, two entrees and dessert which came to $160 with tip.

Visited May 2013

Saint Louis, Missouri
“A pleasant surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I was skeptical...small place, a name like "The Tavern"...I wasn't sure what to expect. We were the first to arrive for the evening - everyone was nice. As the crowd came in I felt a little under dressed in my jeans and blouse...others were in cute dresses, slacks and some men in jackets and I also noticed it seemed to be somewhat of an older crowed BUT we were there early (5:00 on a Friday...) The food was amazing! Very good. It's a place you have to go and try for yourself - be prepared for higher prices but I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Richmond, Virginia
“Fab food in upscale strip mall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Some if the best food I've had images. Huge portions. Sunday prix fix gives you three courses for $30. You can easily share with another person. Lovely, hip, warm place

• Visited April 2013
St. Louis, MO
“Amazing Experience in Valley Park (Who Would Have Thunk)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I live in Fenton and have been to The Tavern Kitchen and Bar several times years ago. I just recently returned before catching a show at the Fox Theatre with my partner and gosh I forgot HOW GOOD this place really is. I rarely review local restaurants, but I feel compelled to praise this place.

First of all it is in a strip mall in Valley Park. I know, not where you expect fine dining. But don't let that fool you - the place is amazing. The interior set up is dark and classy, yet casual. All the waiters seem to be attractive young guys (at least from each time I have been there) and each we have had have been phenomenal. Years ago we had a young guy named Wade who provided wonderful service each time we were there. This most recent trip we were served by Alex and I will say it probably was some of the best service we have ever had anywhere. Kudos to Alex (if anyone from the Tavern is reading this). So my first recommendation would be to ask for Alex if possible. But now on to the food...

I have had several different things over the years, but I have to recommend one appetizer and one main course specifically. For the appetizer, the Pigs Under a Blanket was outstanding. The chorizo was actually spicy and had a kick to it. YUM! For the main course I have to recommend the Oak Plank tasting board (I think it had meatloaf, pork tenderloin, chicken, and filet). This was simply astounding. It offers you a sampling of some of their most popular items and each is just delicious. I cannot recommend this enough for any meat lovers! Not a meat lover? They have a seafood style tasting board as well (have not had it though). Desert on the other hand I must admit I am not as impressed by, I have not had anything there that I would order again. Nothing was bad, just nothing was memorable. So I would fill up on salads, apps, and dinner!

So obviously I would recommend this place to anyone thinking of trying. Again I cannot say enough great things about it - from the set up, to the service, to the food... It all works and is superb! It really is some of the best dining I have had in St. Louis!

• Visited February 2013
Saint Louis MO
“Good food and service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

We enjoyed our meal, the service was very good and interior is warm and inviting. However, the quality of the food is not in alignment with the prices. Definitely overpriced.

• Visited April 2013