“Sanctuary. A state of being protected. Asylum.”
Review of Sanctuaria

Sanctuaria
Reserve with OpenTable
Sanctuaria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #404 of 3,067 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Boyle
Transit: Metro Bus Stop outside front door of restaurant.
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Eating is almost always more than the food ingested. Yes, at times it is just about how much food can we get for the least amount of money and how fast can we get it and cram it in. The great thing about Sanctuaria is how one feels once he or she is within. This is a fun place. It is also a little odd and a little quirky which is fine by me. I've had enough mundane in my life already. Get settled in, order any number of creative and delicious cocktails, and get started ordering as many plates as your group might like, 3 or 4 at a time. Keep adding as you eat. Make sure you know what the specials are...we almost missed them. Pass everything around and come up with a good way to decide who gets the last amazing meatball or tostone and watch the winners face light up...ah, what a prize.

We had (among other things), Beggers Purse, Vacca Frita, Perrito de Silencio, Papa y Tochino Torta Frita, Cabrales Cigars (food, not a smoke), and bacon wrapped dates. Nestled within these dishes were savory stewed meats, seafoods, spices, cheeses of all kinds, purees, veggies, sauces, pastes, and jellies. Every dish had something special in it.

When I am offered food and drink that is full of care, full of thought, obviously by people who know what tastes good, even if it is a totally new combination of ingredients and here to for untasted, I begin to feel I have found asylum, protection from ordinary, uninspired eats and drinks. Now, gather some friends, and find your Sanctuaria.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I love tapas restaurants, and this place was no exception. We loved it. We ended up ordering 5-6 dishes since they are small, but they are definitely worth it. Each had a punch of flavor and were filling. One of our favorite were the cheese 'cigars'. They were so cheesy and delicious, I wish there were more on the plate. Also, really liked the Frita Sliders. Just writing this review is getting me hungry again. We will definitely visit St Louis again, and for this restaurant.

1  Thank GrkKookla
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I love Tapas/small plates types of places. Even better if they have a cool, funky vibe that we saw/felt as we walked into the place. Unfortunately that's where it ended. The waiter we had was lost for most of the night. Took forever to get served, drinks or food. The wine list is dismal (as others have noted, an outstanding drink menu). We sampled several dishes that had great potential but disappointed every time.

The lamb/chorizo meatballs were the driest thing I've ever eaten. We then ordered the "st. louis BBQ ribs". After an extremely long wait, the waiter came by and told us it would be soon so we ordered another course. Good thing we did because this course came before the ribs. The ribs were nothing outstanding (stick to Pappy's when in SL). The final course, the Beggars Purse, a "Crispy phyllo dough filled with seasoned pork and monterey jack cheese"...... bland, no hint of cheese and the sauce was uninspiring. Not sure if this was an off night for the waitstaff or the kitchen or both. The waiter did comp us for the ribs which was nice.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The bartenders here are craft cocktail experts and can make you a drink based on your likes and mood. If you're hungry, don't pass up the vaca frita. The Havana bread is arguably the best dessert in St. Louis. They also have a late night happy hour that is a fantastic value. It can get loud, but that's a testament to Sanctuaria's popularity.

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

The exterior appearance is not inviting but you need to go inside. The bar and seating are elegant, eclectic, cozy and welcoming. The back patio is nice and relaxed. The cocktails are top notch and my Lolita drink was complex, refreshing, and satisfying, with a beautiful presentation. Vaca frita, plaintains with guava, tostones were all great. Chicken sliders, meatballs were fine. Staff is top notch.