“Great tapas in a great and unusual environment.”
Review of Sanctuaria

Sanctuaria
Reserve with OpenTable
Sanctuaria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #616 of 2,980 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Boyle
Transit: Metro Bus Stop outside front door of restaurant.
Reviewed November 24, 2011

This might be my favorite restaurant in St. Louis. First rate southwestern and south American influenced tapas is served. The service is excellent as well. They have a great wine list and a high end cocktail club. It is located in The Grove neighborhood so other fun night spots are in easy walking or driving distance. I can't recommend this place highly enough!!!!

Reviewed October 15, 2011

So I go to Sanctuaria every week...yes I said every week. As part of the Cocktail Club I am working on my list and I must say finding this place and joining the club is one of the best things I have ever done! First the place is amazing, wonderful decor that get's you into that "Day of the Dead" mood. It is always clean and always full of people. No sports bar here it is all about meeting new people and how to make awesome cocktails. The patio is awesome in spring, summer and fall complete with a nice couch if you choose and fountain to relax you. Friday nights they have a nice DJ to spice up your life. However I choose to sit at the bar why well because you might just learn something. First of all let me tell you there is not a better group of bartenders around! Matt, Joel, Lindsey, Ryan and Tim know there stuff and are fun to be around. Just ask they will tell you why they are making your drink this way, or suggest to you a cocktail that is sure to please your taste! The cocktail list is just amazing if you join the cocktail club for a small fee of $20 you get access to a list of 150 amazing drinks! Plus you get a bonus at the end you will get your card and every 3rd drink is free! Being a member is great they do Cocktails by Candle light every few months and it gives you a chance to meet other members and taste some awesome drinks and food! Plus you will never be alone or not know someone at the bar as we like to call ourselves a "family". You can take notes in your book and check off on your "score" card as you go. Matt has done an amazing job of making this place so much more than a "bar" he will always welcome you, smile and speak with you....well and that also goes for the rest of them!
Now on to the food. I have yet to have a bad dish here just remember you are eating Tapas which means small portions for you to share! The ribs are just amazing smokey and full of flavor, the cheese cigars oh my I have dreams about them. The raisin sauce on top goes so well with the cheese, don't miss these! Chips great for those night when I just need a snack to go with my drink, fresh, different and the blue cheese dipping sauce AWESOME! The wicked shrimp is another favorite VERY spicy, but just awesome! I always use the bread and finish up that sauce! Shrimp are always cooked perfectly and this really is an amazing dish. For the fall season the pumpkin empanada's are truly a special dish for the season. Light, full of pumpkin and again comes with a wonderful whip cream dipping sauce! The regular empanada's I like to call liquid gold. They are just amazing and you will not be sad you ordered them! The shredded pork on mashed pots awesome! I could just go on and on! There is plenty to choose from and something for everyone I am sure you will enjoy anything you get I have yet to have something I did not like!
So take a step on the Wild Side and come on out to this little gem, have some great eats and adult beverage treats! Heck you might just find yourself becoming part of the family and joining the cocktail club! They also have happy hours AND on Friday and Saturdays there is the Late Night happy hour with specials on drink and certain tapas are HALF PRICE! Then there is the Night Owl Happy Hour which goes till 3 again more specials on drinks.
I see myself coming back every week even after my list is finish. A changing menu with seasonal items will keep me coming back that and the WONDERFUL staff. St. Louis is very lucky to have this little gem.
Side note: They were nominated for World's Best Cocktail Menu, Joel Clark won the STL area competition for his Cocktail Bollywood Nights, Matt is only one of 4 people in the country to hold one of the top "degrees" by the USBG, they have won best tapas and best cocktails in the RFT polls And so many more honors I am sure I am forgetting something!

Reviewed October 14, 2011

Great Spanish tapas menu, some selectons deliver on expectations better than others. Unique libations made with homemade and fresh ingredients. A gem in the Grove.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

The tapas are very tasty and interesting just to look at. The restaurant has a very cool interrior best appreciated at night. The back patio is large and recommended it on a cool or warm night. Excellent Service and friendly staff!!
Reasonable prices.

Reviewed June 1, 2011

My wife and I went here after spending the afternoon roaming Shaw Botanical gardens. It's not very far.

We didn't get any drinks but we did dive into the main menu. Everything was very good. Some items didn't seem like a good value (small quantity for the price). In the end we were very full for about $75 including tax and tip.

I'm not a huge fan of spicy food. The shrimp were a bit spicy for my taste. That being said, even though my mouth was on fire, I got some bread and ate every last drop of the sauce. Spicy or not, it was SO GOOD!