“Expected a lot more for the price”

Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre
Lancaster, Ohio
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Expected a lot more for the price”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I read the reviews before we went and I knew that the area was not in the nicest neighborhood, so I took that into consideration. When we arrived, the home was really run doen, even though it looked like they were working on the exterior. When we entered the house, it looked really run down and smelled musty, like an old house. That may be acceptable for a house that has set vacant, but not for a house that is used on a daily basis for food service and theater. I thought that it was going to be a little more than what it was...it really only had two actors and the reset was made up of the people in the audience. There really wasn't much acting or a mystery, just an old script that really didn't mesh well together. The food was just ok, but certainly not what I would expect for the price. Most murder mystery dinners that I have been at in the past had a more extensive cast, plot and better food. My only regret is that I lost an evening in St Louis, where I could have been exploring someplace better, but that is the chances that you take. The one advanntage ws that they had a security guard watching out for our cars, while we were inside. Unless they change what they are offering to the public, my guess is that this place will not be in business a whole lot longer.

Visited June 2013

Webster Groves, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Are you serious.”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Holy cow what a DUMP. Do not waste your time. The service is a joke the one young man with blonde hair was screaming like a fool before the show started about us arriving early. Excuse me for trying to be on time to a place that I have never been. Then lets talk about the food, YUCK! So overpriced. Smells like people were smoking right before we walked in and last time I checked that is illegal. What a waste of a night this was. NEVER AGAIN.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Lydia J
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The worst!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I went to this dinner theater about 2o years ago and enjoyed our evening so when our daughter turned 21 we took our family there and asked for her a starring role.What a mistake to pay good money for that! Very bad part of town. When we arrived at 6:30 (like it was recommended) we all stood outside waiting for the door to be unlocked so we could go in. First were the appetizers....not very appetizing for $52 a person. It was more like what you might expect at a fraternity party. The dinner was what you might expect at a hospital or on Amtrak. Very thrown together and low quality. Then the play began...it was HORRIBLE!!!! HORRIBLE!!!...they should have paid us to sit through that. It was not at all funny; it was crude, rude and so old fashioned. As I look back I deeply regret that I did not stand up when it was my turn to give my line and speak up. I would be shocked if anyone actually enjoyed the evening. We were so looking forward to it and have apologized profusely to our daughter, her friend, our 18 and 15 year old sons and my sister who had come from out of town. It ranks as our family's worst "entertainment" experience.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank Judi V
bschepker, General Manager at Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Hi Judi,

When did you attend the dinner show? Was it recently? The reason that I am asking is you mentioned the appetizers. The appetizers we serve are homemade Crab Rangoon, toasted ravioli, potato puffs, homemade cheese ball with homemade zucchini bread, and a fresh vegetable tray. Are these the same appetizers that you referred to in your review?
Do you remember what show you saw?

Did you complain to anyone that night that you did not like any of our food, nor the show, nor the neighborhood? Did you say anything to the actors, the servers, or the manager that evening?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
North Liberty, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome Mystery Dinner”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My 16 yr old son and I went for our Birthdays. We both enjoyed this so much were looking forward to doing it again. The guests are all invited to play a part (which had my son nervous) but we both laughed hysterically and had fun playing. The dinner they provided was also very good. Great entertainment and well worth the $.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank LisaMct
bschepker, General Manager at Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you for your great comments. I really hope you come back and visit us again.
Saint Louis, Missouri
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“great for a bachelorette party”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

we did this as a stop in our bachelorette party and it was a blast. we all had our own roles to play and get involved. We had a blast and laughed like ther was no tomorrow

2 Thank neatcmom
bschepker, General Manager at Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thanks for attending our interactive comedy mystery, "Nursery Crimes." We really enjoyed entertaining you and your other guests. And I think your guest of honor, the bride-to-be had a starring role in the show. You are always welcome here at the Bissell Mansion!

Travelers who viewed Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre also viewed

Been to Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre? Share your experiences!