“Awesome Mystery Dinner”

North Liberty, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome Mystery Dinner”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My 16 yr old son and I went for our Birthdays. We both enjoyed this so much were looking forward to doing it again. The guests are all invited to play a part (which had my son nervous) but we both laughed hysterically and had fun playing. The dinner they provided was also very good. Great entertainment and well worth the $.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank LisaMct
bschepker, General Manager at Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you for your great comments. I really hope you come back and visit us again.

Saint Louis, Missouri
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“great for a bachelorette party”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

we did this as a stop in our bachelorette party and it was a blast. we all had our own roles to play and get involved. We had a blast and laughed like ther was no tomorrow

2 Thank neatcmom
bschepker, General Manager at Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thanks for attending our interactive comedy mystery, "Nursery Crimes." We really enjoyed entertaining you and your other guests. And I think your guest of honor, the bride-to-be had a starring role in the show. You are always welcome here at the Bissell Mansion!
Saint Louis, Missouri
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Terrible experience”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My friend and I were very excited to visit the Bissell Mansion for her birthday. It is not located in a very good area of town, but they did have security at their lot. We love old homes, which this certainly qualifies as, but it is a bit rundown. The service was good to start, and we were upstairs for the show. What made the experience terrible was a large group at a table near ours, who were all heavily intoxicated and obnoxious. We could barely hear the show, and a number of people were upset by them. We spoke to staff, and were told that, "it's uncomfortable to tell people they're being loud." So nothing was done by the staff. My friend walked over and asked them if they wouldn't mind quieting down, since we couldn't hear the actors, or even the others at our table in between acts while we were eating. They used profanity and then heckled her. Several others ended up leaving the show early. There were more terrible aspects to the night, but it would belabor the point- it ended up being a waste of money. I e-mailed the manager immediately after our visit, and received an e-mail that said sorry, this has never happened before, and we should have done something about it. No offer to make reparations for the terrible experience.

Visited November 2012
bschepker, General Manager at Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I would like to respond to the above comment again. I had received an email from the above customer on November 20, 2012 and I answered it on November 21, 2012. In her email she did not complain about the show, the food, or the service from the waiters. Her complaint was about the loud six guests who were seated near her and her guest.

The following was my response to her on November 21, 2012:
First, I want to apologize that something was not said by our staff to quiet the loud group.
Let me assure you that having a group behave in this manner is very rare for us. The
audience is controlled by the actors and if or when someone gets a little too loud during the show
and if affects the show, the actors call out the guilty table and that puts it to rest. If that doesn't
work, then the manager needs to be made aware and step in to tell the group to quiet down or they will be asked to leave the show. If this fails, we do have security - a policeman on site that
could escort the group out. We can't have someone or a table of guests ruining the show for others. We have never had a group before that yelled out profanities to other guests. We were unaware of any use of profanity that evening.

Again, I apologize - we should have handled the situation differently that night.

I take pride in the level of service that we give our customers, but evidently we fell short on Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thanks for letting me know, again.
St. Louis
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Will be going back!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and I decided to go to the mystery theater for something different to do on a Friday night. We were pleasantly surprised especially because of some of the reviews on this site. The Bissell is the oldest home in St. Louis, so yes, it looks like and old home. Because it is. The service was excellent, smiles and great attitudes from all employees. Our drinks were never less than half full. The acting was exactly what you would expect from a mystery dinner theater. The two actors we had were fun and entertaining. The jokes were fun and (mostly) family friendly. The food was great. We both had the steak as an entree and it was cooked as we ordered and seasoned well. It came with a vegetable medley and potatoes.The appetizers were tasty. I would recommend the house dressing on the salad even though it was a tad sweet, but the ranch wasn't the best. The dessert was exactly what I wanted after a full meal, I didn't even want much of a dessert after being so stuffed with dinner. The cash bar had good prices.
Basically what it all boils down to is you get out of it what you put in to it. If you are a bad attitude, no fun sort of person, this isn't going to be the place for you. Have fun at Outback. If you have a good attitude you'll love this place. You can definitely look around the room and tell who is having a crummy time and who will write a bad review. I get that this isn't a place for everyone. But if you think you'd have a good time, you probably will.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank ElizabethH854
bschepker, General Manager at Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
I appreciate your business and you are spot on with your comments. Thanks and hopefully by your next visit the construction company will have made all improvements to our wonderful old building. We look forward to serving you again.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“This was not the experience I expected! Extremely over priced.”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

First off, I would like to say that the murder mystery was "cute" and the actors were great, but almost everything else was horrible. I am not from the St. Louis area, the location was a poor representation of the city. The, what they call a "mansion" is in the worst possible part of town. Houses in the area were boarded up, burned down or just dilapidated and this included the mansion. This place is simply a dump! The wallpaper was torn or peeled up, paint was chipped, they had old carpet pulled up and laying in the parking lot.The restrooms are upstairs and in the basement, yes, I said basement! This place looks nothing like what the website represents. The appetizers were fried and overcooked, the salad was poured from a bag and a very small portion. The main course wasnt bad but was also a small portion. The "dessert" was whip cream on bottom, chocolate pudding in the middle and more whip cream on top. Definitely not a meal and theater worth 52 dollars per person!!! I can say that I will never spend another dime in that place or drive throught that horrible area again!!!! Dont waste your time or money going there!!!

2 Thank lljack
bschepker, General Manager at Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
I am sorry you were disappointed in your experience with us. I would just like to respond to your comments. We are in St. Louis' oldest neighborhood and there is really nothing we can do about that. Our building is currently under extensive rehab, scrapping, tuckpointing, painting
and the signs we have posted address that.

We do, however, have control over the show and the food. I think you enjoyed the show and the actors, but you were not happy with the food. Our salads are made with real iceberg and romaine lettuce, not the salad in the bag. You felt the portions were too small and had we known that night that you were unhappy, the manager could have offered you a second salad or another entree. We respect all of our customers and strive to make them happy. We want everyone that attends our dinner shows to have a good time. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I appreciate your comments, both good and bad.

Travelers who viewed Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre also viewed

Been to Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre? Share your experiences!