“Wonderful Christmas present!”

Forget-me-not Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 27 Saint Louis B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here as part of my Christmas gift. We live in the St. Louis Metro-East area and he decided to stay here because of its location to the Missouri Botanical Gardens. We went to the Garden Glow at the Gardens and dined at Zia's. We checked in and were warmly greeted by Chuck and Magretta. She gave us a history of the home and Chuck showed us to our room. We were not disappointed. The accommodations were wonderful and the breakfast amazingly delicious. We enjoyed our time at this B and B and would recommend it to all!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 13, 2013

There is little I can add to the many glowing reviews. Magretta was very kind about letting me reserve a room on short notice. This historic home is beautifully preserved. There are so many charming architectural and decorative details throughout, yet it still feels like a home and not a museum. We were made to feel very welcome by Magretta and Chuck (and Spike and Haley). My daughter and I were very comfortable in the Bissel Tower room. Breakfast was delicious! I was only in St Louis for one night, but I hope it was the first of many stays at this lovely B & B. It couldn't have been better!

Room Tip: If steps are a problem, the Grand Tower room would be best.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Very pleasant B&B experience. We were there for 3 nights in early October, 2013. I will not duplicate the review by BobandJan66. Rather, I will add to it and subtract from it. My husband and I also stayed in the Bissell room on the third floor. Yes, it did have narrow, steep stairs from the second floor which could be a concern if one is out of shape or overweight or carrying too much luggage. I found the staircase to be part of the charm of the place (and I did huff and puff a little--no "gasping for breath", being in my mid 60's and not in the best of shape) and a pleasant reminder of my youth when I visited my aunt and uncle in a row home in Reading, PA. The room was small and quaint. I didn't even notice that the room had a TV until I read BobandJan66's review. We don't go on vacation to watch TV. There was another couple staying in the other 3rd floor room across the hall from us. Never heard them in the room. Old homes have much better walls for privacy. The small window air conditioner was on and made the room a pleasant temperature despite the outside temps in the mid 80's. Margretta cooked sumptuous breakfasts, even providing delicious, unusual foods for my gluten intolerance needs. I never felt neglected or deprived. She would sit and chat with us over breakfast if we were interested. And we were. Although breakfast time is announced as being between 8 and 9, Margretta was quite willing to change the time if you request it. I love little nooks and crannies so I was charmed by the smaller rooms---the library and the sun porch---not put out by their size. They were cozy. And if I am going someplace with my husband alone, I want to be cozy. Margretta has collections of things, china and coffee mugs and old children's books that were interesting to look at and photograph. The woodwork is spectacular. The bathroom door squeaked the first night and the small vanity was lacking a soap dish, both of which Margretta fixed the second day. The B&B was close to most everything we had planned to visit---St. Francis de Sales Oratory, the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis, Tower Grove Park, Crown Candy Kitchen and the Shaved Duck. If we ever return to St. Louis, we will definitely stay at this B&B again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2013

It is a lovely old home in a convenient location. The breakfasts are excellent, and the proprietors try very hard to make your stay a good one. There is no problem parking. I would definitely return when in St. Louis.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful B&B! Great meals, lovely hosts with huge shoulders, wonderful unspoiled home. Fresh herbs from the garden for breakfast. The Finnish pancake is the best! Loved it. Be back with the husband next year.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We liked the two nights we stayed here - mostly for the convenient location, the delicious breakfast, and the wonderful owners, Chuck and Magretta, and their staff. But there were a couple of issues. Our room (Bissell) was up two flights of stairs, most of which was steep and narrow (old servants stairs.) Another of the three rooms is also at this height. The Grand Tower Room is the only one on the second level, but still requires numerous steps to reach. So ... if you have a problem with stairs or heights, or have more than one piece of luggage per person to carry, you will not like checking into this B & B. We are reasonably fit, but we packed too heavily, and thus perspired heavily, and gasped for breath mightily, before getting settled into our room. Even checking out was a similarly difficult task.

Our room was clean, but small, and nicely appointed overall, but with just a small TV on a corner table, not viewable from the bed. Views out the windows were limited. The room had a ceiling fan, which was adequate to keep it cool while we were there, but you may need the small window air conditioner in warmer months. We did not try it.

Our breakfast was sumptuous both days, and we feasted! Delicious in every way, and served in a lovely dining room, with a tea and coffee service table. Breakfast is only served at seating times of your choice between 8 and 9 am.

Some nice touches are a 2nd floor library room (books and magazines, and a small refrigerator for your use), and a back sun porch, but both are quite small, with just barely room for two people.

The house is easy to find, and there appears to be plenty of parking on the street in front, for unloading, but there is also parking behind it after unloading is done. The area around it is beautiful for walking, with lovely brick houses, and tree-lined streets, especially along Longfellow and Hawthorne streets. You are within short driving distance of downtown St. Louis, LaClede's Landing and more. Walking distance to St. Louis University.

The owners are very nice, and helpful in almost every way, but there is probably not a lot that they can do about making this beautiful old "painted lady" a little easier to get into, and get around in. Their dogs, Spike and Haley, were a special treat, no bother at all, and considering that we are not pet owners, this is high praise indeed.

Room Tip: Pick the Grand Tower Room (2nd floor) unless you like climbing steep, narrow, creaky stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Magretta was a wonderful host! Before our trip, she was great at communicating via email and was sure to promptly answer any of our questions. The evening of our arrival, she was very welcoming, gave us a tour of the house, and provided great information about local restaurants and sights in St. Louis.

The house itself was quite large and well located within driving distance of all the St. Louis sights. The room we stayed in, the Bissel Tower Room, was the smallest of the three rooms Magretta rents out in the house, but it was still spacious, well decorated, and clean. We enjoyed the comfortable bed, hot shower, and nice bath products provided.

The best part of our stay had to be Magretta's amazing breakfasts. Over the two days we stayed she offered delicious bacon, sour-cream and onion eggs, fruit cups, homemade gingerbread scones, Finnish Pancakes, etc. It was difficult to leave the table, the food was so good. We very much enjoyed our stay and highly recommend this place to others looking for a cozy Bnb in St. Louis.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple