“Was looking for a park where my kids could play... had amazing experience in museum instead!”

Missouri Civil War Museum
Ranked #16 of 275 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Missouri Civil War Museum is housed in the old 1905 Jefferson Barracks Post Exchange (PX) and Gymnasium building, formerly part of the Jefferson Barracks military post, which is still an active military installation to this day. Renovations began in 2003, and were completed 10 years later in 2013, with an opening date of June 29, 2013. During the Civil War, the property which this museum is located upon, contained various hospital ward buildings, where suffering and death occurred, thus making this sacred ground, and a most appropriate location for a Missouri Civil War Museum, honoring our soldiers of the past and present.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Suzanna was our highlight! She answered question after question for over an hour and now I'm excited to research and study even more civil war history.

We loved the presentation of maps, words, and videos that all went together and allowed for many different types of learning styles. My boys are 10 and 7 and they were fascinated!

They don't really teach civil war history in school anymore, except a small section about Lincoln wanting to end slavery. I had no idea MO was at such a forefront of the war! So many emotions playing into each side.

The cost is minimal and this being a start-up museum I understand they don't have everything they want yet. I felt it an honor to give them a few $ to help the cause. We need the rising generation like me and my children to care about and understand the lessons learned from this history.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"visiting st"
"mississippi river"

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Wonderful place..A must see-very impressed..The staff was friendly and very helpful.. Love learning about history -love MO history..

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We were impressed by this new museum. It was well organized and attractive. The videos provided much history to the events leading up to the Civil War as well as the battlefields located in Missouri. Its location in Jefferson Barracks puts it near many other historic sites. It was definitely worth the time we spent there.

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

This is a wonderful museum for all ages. I am only 15 years old and I loved. They did a great job portraying the truths of the Civil War the the events before.

1  Thank andrewgregory27
See more reviews
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My wife and I are local history buffs (her great grandfather was a St. Louis architect of note) and we had high expectations for our visit to the museum on the 4th of July 2014. It was quite obvious from the start that a considerable investment went into restoration of the building and this was the highlight of the visit. After watching the film in the lobby where it was stressed "that no tax dollars" were used in the museum's development we payed the entry fee. (Most, museums of note in St. Louis have no fees and ask for donations due to the local commitment to fund through taxes and our belief that our heritage is a gift for all.) The curators would be well served if they could have followed the excellent example of the the Missouri History Museum in Forest Park that presented an exhibit: "The Civil War in Missouri" where real life historical events were brought to light. Most of the exhibits (swords, pistols and rifles) in this museum are labelled "unknown" although the origin of the manufacturer was listed on some. The state of Missouri has a very unique place in our Civil War due the status of the freemen and slaves living adjacent to the free border states but you will not grasp much of this in the current state of the museum....The directors would do well to review the material presented in "Civil War St. Louis" and breath some life into a Civil War experience away from the over-documented, battles and skirmishes....or at least provide more details of the the major battles.

7  Thank honeybb53