“Great experience!”

Missouri Civil War Museum
Ranked #12 of 271 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Missouri Civil War Museum is housed in the old 1905 Jefferson Barracks Post Exchange (PX) and Gymnasium building, formerly part of the Jefferson Barracks military post, which is still an active military installation to this day. Renovations began in 2003, and were completed 10 years later in 2013, with an opening date of June 29, 2013. During the Civil War, the property which this museum is located upon, contained various hospital ward buildings, where suffering and death occurred, thus making this sacred ground, and a most appropriate location for a Missouri Civil War Museum, honoring our soldiers of the past and present.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Visited for the first time today with my wife and really enjoyed the experience! lots of things to see and the history really comes alive there. Amazing that they were able to create such a wonderful museum and fund it 100 percent with private money. Can't wait till the Library and research center next door opens in around 24 months! This is a must-see if you are in the St. Louis area.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

This new museum has wonderful artifacts and pictures from the Civil War. Its next door to a wonderful St. Louis County park, and if it had been a warmer day we would have packed a lunch. The docent at the door was more than willing to answer all of our questions.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

I grew up in J.B. when I was about ten years old we used to sneak into the building. We called it the old court house because of the two lamppost at the entrance of the steps. What we discovered it was really a gymnasium for the military at one time we were surprised . Also it was supposedly haunted. Enough of my reminiscing. Just two weeks ago I entered through the front door for the first time in my life. I am now 68 years old,and what I discovered is it is now truly haunted with the history of the Civil War. From the short film on the history of J.B. at the entrance of the museum, to the many facts that led up to the Civil War. Their is more civil War memorabilia than I ever imagined. If you are coming to Saint Louis or if you just live here be sure you visit this magnificent museum. If you don't you will be missing what I consider to be a great new attraction to our fair city. Also you will be walking into a building I walked in when I was a kid.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This museum, wholly funded by private donations, is a diamond in the rough and well worth a visit. While still a work in progress, it is beautifully laid out in a timeline format with a wealth of artifacts on display-weapons, uniforms, personal items and much more-many with a personal connection to a Missouri veteran of the war. Highly recommended for school groups, history buffs and anyone who wants to learn about a deeply divided Missouri, where pro and anti slavery forces clashed years before the Civil War broke out. A library facility is planned as a resource for students and scholars.

Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Great location, with lots of history. Adjacent to an active military base. Wonderful renovation of a military building with lots of history associated with the building. Very classy museum including displays of period items acompanied by media displays to tell the story of Missouri residents during the Civil War decade.

Other small museums are on the grounds of the historic area along with a military cemetery. Including views of the Great River from lookout points and plenty of areas for large or small group picnics. Museum is located on the grounds of a St. Louis County Park.

We enjoyed a lunch at a nearby cafe. This was a great way to enjoy a vacation day with my dad.