“Jefferson Barracks Kid”

Missouri Civil War Museum
Ranked #12 of 258 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Missouri Civil War Museum is housed in the old 1905 Jefferson Barracks Post Exchange (PX) and Gymnasium building, formerly part of the Jefferson Barracks military post, which is still an active military installation to this day. Renovations began in 2003, and were completed 10 years later in 2013, with an opening date of June 29, 2013. During the Civil War, the property which this museum is located upon, contained various hospital ward buildings, where suffering and death occurred, thus making this sacred ground, and a most appropriate location for a Missouri Civil War Museum, honoring our soldiers of the past and present.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Saint Louis, Missouri
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Jefferson Barracks Kid”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I grew up in J.B. when I was about ten years old we used to sneak into the building. We called it the old court house because of the two lamppost at the entrance of the steps. What we discovered it was really a gymnasium for the military at one time we were surprised . Also it was supposedly haunted. Enough of my reminiscing. Just two weeks ago I entered through the front door for the first time in my life. I am now 68 years old,and what I discovered is it is now truly haunted with the history of the Civil War. From the short film on the history of J.B. at the entrance of the museum, to the many facts that led up to the Civil War. Their is more civil War memorabilia than I ever imagined. If you are coming to Saint Louis or if you just live here be sure you visit this magnificent museum. If you don't you will be missing what I consider to be a great new attraction to our fair city. Also you will be walking into a building I walked in when I was a kid.

Visited March 2014

• Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Festus, Missouri
“Missouri Civil War Museum tells a compelling story”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

This museum, wholly funded by private donations, is a diamond in the rough and well worth a visit. While still a work in progress, it is beautifully laid out in a timeline format with a wealth of artifacts on display-weapons, uniforms, personal items and much more-many with a personal connection to a Missouri veteran of the war. Highly recommended for school groups, history buffs and anyone who wants to learn about a deeply divided Missouri, where pro and anti slavery forces clashed years before the Civil War broke out. A library facility is planned as a resource for students and scholars.

Visited March 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Enjoyable, Relaxing Day”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Great location, with lots of history. Adjacent to an active military base. Wonderful renovation of a military building with lots of history associated with the building. Very classy museum including displays of period items acompanied by media displays to tell the story of Missouri residents during the Civil War decade.

Other small museums are on the grounds of the historic area along with a military cemetery. Including views of the Great River from lookout points and plenty of areas for large or small group picnics. Museum is located on the grounds of a St. Louis County Park.

We enjoyed a lunch at a nearby cafe. This was a great way to enjoy a vacation day with my dad.

29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“What a great museum! ”
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed the way the museum was put together and the fact that it really told the story of in the civil war. Was a weekend getaway for my husband and i we will be bringing our kids back to visit soon.

Arlington, Virginia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“A must see hidden gem!”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I took my 16 year old son for a day trip. The museum is small but you can easily spend several hours reading and looking at everything. They had a movie in the basement. It lasted about a half hour. I would definitely recommend watching it. Very educational, especially if you are from Missouri or a Civil War buff. Don't miss this new museum. They have a nice little gift shop too. The grounds of the park are lovely and it's nice to meander through and see the old buildings. There are a couple other small museums that you can go in as well. It cost $7 for adults kids are free. We got a free music CD because we gave a donation.

Visited January 2014