“Yum yum yum”
Review of Blues City Deli

Blues City Deli
Ranked #15 of 2,901 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American
Description: This is a delicious little deli that has 77 reviews on Google Maps but I can't seem to find it here on trip advisor. Thought you might want to add it.
Cudjoe Key
“Yum yum yum”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Probably the best deli I've ever visited......enough said! Expect a line, but they move them through fast. I can't wait to go back to St. Louis to eat here again.

• Visited June 2014

Easton, Pennsylvania
“Loved it!”
Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

What an adorable little place. Bluesy decor, friendly people, and delicious sandwiches. We loved all of them. Get the olive spread on everything! Gotta have the taste for local Provel though, we don't. Stick with the fresh mozzarella.

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Try this sandwich shop at least once!”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I am someone who would normally not spend more then $5 on any sandwich alone. The Blues City Deli is worth splurging. My step daughter and I came here on a Wednesday afternoon @ around 1pm. There was no line.. but all the tables were taken on the outside of the shop as well as the inside.. we got lucky as soon as we were done ordering, an inside table opened up. I ordered the special of the day for $5.95 called the Porkalypse (I believe there was a second word but I cannot remember it) It was garlic- peppered roasted pork, pickles, provolone, grilled onions, and something called boom boom sauce served on a pretzel roll. I added a fountain soda (free refills) and a bag of chips for $2.20 more making my total $8.98 with tax. The sandwich was delicious. The meat was perfect and tasted very fresh. The boom boom sauce really complimented the pork, and the grilled onions gave it a hint of sweetness. My daughter ordered the Memphis Stax. A pulled pork sandwich served with your choice of BBQ sauces (STL style or Tennessee style) and topped with homemade cole slaw. It was delicious as well. She said she was so so happy we went there. This is the place to go if you want a really good sandwich. The owner was taking orders and was very nice and answered all my questions about the sandwich selections. Go here for a good, fresh deli sandwich!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jessica B
Oscoda, Michigan
“Great food, free entertainment, plenty of ambiance - what else could you want?”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Did I forget to mention the sandwiches are are real bargain! This is no prefabricated and pretentious franchise folks, it is the real thing - a genuine neighborhood deli right in the heart of St. Louis. The owner Vinnie is usually mingling with the crowd and don't be surprised if you see a good representation of St. Louis' law enforcement community standing in line. Hard to pick a favorite sandwich but there is no way you can go wrong, with a menu heavily inspired by New Orleans cuisine. Make sure you catch the free entertainment on Thursdays and Saturday, especially if you like the blues. Lucky if you live in the Benton Park neighborhood but if you are traveling through town or taking the Budweiser tour the deli is only a few blocks west of I-55.

• Visited December 2013
“Blues on the side”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Normally, I'm not particularly enthused about po boys and hoagies, but the reviews and diner scores were hard for me to ignore. After missing the opportunity to try Blues City Deli on my last trip, I finally went this week with my family for lunch and the sandwiches were delicious.

The menu is very organized and descriptive. I ordered a hot and juicy roast beef dipped in au jus, with a little cup of au jus on the side. My son ordered the Prez Pastrami Reuben (two days in a row), and hubs, the Italian sausage hoagie, (also two days in a row). My other son snarfed his down so fast that I don't know what he had. The beer on tap, Schlafly, was the beverage of choice. They did not have the standard selection of Lays chips, but St. Louis originals. I bought an assortment to bring back to Atlanta. Overall, the prices were good, the food delish, and the place has a lot of character.

The deli is located in a hole in the wall brick storefront. There is not a lot of seating because it is a small place, but, it is in places like this, that you find gems.

Be prepared to stand in line if you are going at prime time. The day after Christmas, there was a line out the door, a cop car at the corner, (they were inside ordering their food), and no one was complaining. The line moved along quickly as there were two cashiers, one of them was the owner, Vinnie Valenza! IMO, one of the hallmarks of a successful family business is when the owner is interacting with the patrons. In doing so, they impart their love for the business and attention to the high quality of their food.

Lest I forget, the owner is a Blues fan and books live performances on a regular basis. The performances are posted on their website. No we didn't have time to see one but I almost want to plan a trip back to eat another sandwich while watching a blues performance.

• Visited December 2013