“Very tasty, but too pricey.”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #110 of 2,978 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 4th Street
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had our 1st Ruth's Chris experience on 7/6/13 in St. Louis. We were a party of 6 adults; Mom, Dad, Kids and their significant others. After all the hype that I've heard I was expecting big things. For the most part they delivered, but I would be lying if I didn't say I was somewhat disappointed. The steaks were pretty tasty and as others have said, the sweet potatoes were divine, but the fact that they initially brought one mini loaf of bread for 6 adults, having to ask for more so everyone could have some, no bread plates so eating like cavemen, and last but not least an insect in the $20 cocktail my son ordered left us wanting a little. For the most part these were little things for sure, but at the tune of roughly $100 per person, I expected better. At that price I expect the server to anticipate my needs and really not have to ask for anything.The service was good, but not spectacular, especially for the price. I'll certainly consider other options in the future.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I've only been to one other Ruth's Chris (Georgia) and it was a long time ago, so since we were staying at the Hyatt and this was super-convenient, we decided to give it a try.

We visited on the Fourth of July, between the last air show at the Arch and the beginning of the fireworks. There was a pretty good wait but the bar was open, so my husband and I sat at the bar. There was a very nice gentleman who was one of the bar managers who greeted us and made sure we got our drinks. From that point on, it was downhill. To set expectations, the bar was NOT busy. There were two couples having drinks, and one couple eating, but the bar probably had seats for about 30, and there were three bartenders plus the manager.

The food was very good. My husband had a Caesar salad and I had the mozzarella and tomato salad; He ordered a filet for his main course and I wanted just a baked potato. We'd asked the bartender who was assigned to us, her name started with an N, to have the salads come out together and then my potato to come out with his steak. After she took our order, I watched her break down a box bottom, lift the top of the stainless garbage can cover, and stuff the cardboard in with her bare hands, then lower the cover back down. She then circled the bar, picked up a couple of dirty glasses, poured out their contents in the sink to our left, then put them in the washer tray. She then went around and wiped down the bar top where patrons had been sitting, grabbed bread plates and napkins and brought them to us. This was all without a hand wash between the garbage, used glasses, and our plates.

At this point I was just watching and figured that N had just missed the basics of handwashing trying to get things done about the bar. So at this point we're waiting for our salads. His salad came out, and then ten minutes later when N came back to check on us I asked where mine was. She said that she'd misunderstood and was very sorry that mine was coming out with my potato.

Luckily only ten or fifteen minutes passed until the rest of dinner came out, but during this time our glasses were empty and needed to be refilled. Again, we're sitting at the bar and they were not busy - so I could not understand why we didn't have drinks. The potato was just how a potato should be - hot and steamy and creamy with butter, and my husband really enjoyed his steak.

After a bit she cleared our plates and we were just people watching at the bar, talking to the guests next to us who were having sangria, and observing the couple across the bar who had clearly had a little *too* much sangria, but they were entertaining.

A waiter had put in an order for a red wine of some sort, and our bartender N was handling it. I watched, in disbelief, as she opened the second glass door under the center bar, pop the cork, drop it, pour the glass, reach behind her, and re-cork the bottle with the cork that had been on the floor. (collective ewwwww!).

It was too much. Luckily the gentleman bar manager came back by, and I relayed what I'd seen; he said that was No Bueno! and he appreciated our bringing it to his attention.

I know stuff happens at restaurants. I know that this is probably not a big deal. But I am glad it was not me drinking red wine! :)

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Every single staff member was wonderful and very nice from the hostess to the busboy. Food was delicious as always.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've been to Ruth Chris all over the U.S.
On this particular day we were dashing around & just really needed a bit of quiet time with great food. This one is in a hotel & is absolutely gorgeous! I would normally never go into a restaurant in jeans & tshirt but we didn't have a minute to spare before our next adventure. The hostess seated us in the bar area in a beautiful booth with our own small t.v. This particular bar area was huge. It had a beautiful view, lot's of open seating & really chich booths that were a bit private. I wish that all Ruth Chris's were like this one!
The waitress provided great service. And the food was good as usual.
We were thankful for another great meal!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

While others in my party ordered steak I feel I can only comment on what I actually ate, the salmon. It was over cooked, dry and farmed raised, not wild as is served in most fine dining establishments. I would think the piece of fish I was served put them back, at most, a whole buck, and I expect something at least cooked properly for the thirty dollar price tag.
The sides, offered separately, were over cooked mush. We had the au gratin potatoes, asparagus, and au gratin broccoli. The potatoes where in a thin white paste like sauce topped with what looked like thick hard nacho cheese you’d buy from the grocery store. Someone should tell them the sauce should go throughout the potatoes, perhaps they should tune in the food network while they are working. No flavor could be detected even in the cheese. The broccoli looked and tasted like it had come out of a low priced steam bag, florets were smaller than a quarter, cheese was a watery mess. The asparagus was not up to par, the hollandaise was extremely thin with no spice detected at all.
The only good thing about this location was the location and ambience, very classy and upscale, but still no excuse for rushed, cheap and neglected offerings. We were looking for this meal to be the topping of a once in a lifetime very special event, and sadly it just left us feeling we should have went elsewhere for our special occasion. Of course, we will not be going back.