“Duck lovers will enjoy this place!”
Review of The Shaved Duck

The Shaved Duck
Ranked #17 of 2,890 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Tower Grove
“Duck lovers will enjoy this place!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Although it was over 90 degrees outside and their AC was out, we enjoyed our dinner. Started with a duck confit(very good) & a duck & blue cheese flatbread, then a duck breast in cherry sauce. Great beer selection. Very good service & very attentive. Nice for a casual dinner & prices very reasonable.

Stevenson Ranch, California
“unappetizing name for a restaurant with the best barbecue ever!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I guess "the Shaved Duck" is in fact a name you will not forget. When we drove up the line was ridiculously long and we were ready to give up. Placing out name on the list we went back after a half an hour to find ourselves at the top of the list with a table.. What we found was a unique, interesting menu with traditional barbecue items with a new twist. I had the beef brisket sandwich, which absolutely melted in your mouth. Never had brisket quite this good before. When it was taken to the table to be honest, it did not look all that appetising due to how the food was placed on the plate, but I have to say the food itself was amaxing. My daughter has the pulled pork which was equally amazing. Sides included cornbread (a bit dry but still good), Beans (not bad) and I believe mac and cheese which was also great. A must try restaurant if you are in the neighborhood, definitely worth the wait.

Visited August 2013
Fairview Heights, Illinois
“If your not good with small talk go for the Music!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We had a musician that played jazz music and the music was great; but it was so loud you couldn't talk to each other at your own table. For such a small place I don't think it's necessary to have it up so loud. My ears are still ringing. We went for my son's 36th Birthday and he wanted to go here because he saw it featured on the triple D. He ordered the meatloaf and really loved it; I tasted it and it had an unusual taste but I thought it was good too. The baked beans were great, they were red beans with some shredded pork and in a delicious sauce. I had the baby back ribs and it was smoked to perfection and the rub is so good you don't need to put a sauce on them. My only complaint is they don't come back to refill your drinks. You have to catch them as they go by and ask for refills. Our food came fairly quickly and the salad with dried cranberries and goat cheese with a vinigarette salad dressing was delicious. The restaurant was packed; but basically the service was great. My daughter-in-law is on a strict diet and they accomodated her with no complaints. My grandson had the porksteak and ate most of it and loved the mashed potatoes.

Princeton, Illinois
“Where's the duck?”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

After missing the lunch service by a half hour, we decided to return the next day. This is a small place, probably 12 tables at the most and a bar with 10 stools. We were welcomed by a less than pleasant greeter and told to stand in the bar area. It was clear she wasn't very happy to see a family with kids. We couldn't even get the bartender to get us a Coke while we waited. (That being said, the guy was totally over-worked and stressed out.) We got to our table and then discovered that there is NO DUCK on the lunch menu. None at all. The menu on-line looked pretty interesting, so be aware that at lunch the menu is seriously limited. My DD (13) had the pulled pork flat bread and she enjoyed it. DD (7) had the soup of the day. DH had the brat which was nothing special and I ordered the smoked meatloaf sandwich. My meal arrived at the table a mess. Not a slab of meatloaf, but a chopped up pile of bits. Totally impossible to eat and very unattractive. The server sent the bored greeter over and she brought me another one. Ugh! And to make matters worse, it was a boring meal. Nothing tasty or exciting. I could do better at home on a Tuesday night.

The service was seriously lacking. Seriously. This may have been the servers first day on the job. She didn't know any of the beers on tap. She didn't know about how the sides were prepared. She never cleared even one plate, even when she brought the check.

You can skip this one. There are too many other interesting places to dine in St. Louis. Guy got this one wrong!!

Bentonville, Arkansas
“Dirty Dishes!!!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Came here after hearing wonderful things about the food.
The beef brisket was very good but the sauces are gross. My son ordered the chicken sandwich and the chicken was dry. My daughter ordered the pulled pork sandwich and again, the pork was great but the sauces available were gross.
BUT, the worst part about this visit wasn't the average food, it was the terrible service.
It took over 10 minutes for our drink order to be taken. Once the waitress finally came to the table, we were ready with our food order as well. She brought out small plates for our appetizer, which was ok- the crab cakes, but two of the plates were very dirty! Two of the plates had dried on food and looked like they had not been washed. When I pointed this out to the waitress, she went and grabbed two more plates. Guess what?! One of those plates was dirty. I finally told her not to bring me another plate. She seemed completely taken aback that I would be upset by dirty dishware.

All in all I would say that there is nothing that will ever bring me back to this restaurant.