“Not disappointed with second visit.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cheshire

The Cheshire
Ranked #34 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Lubbock, Texas
“Not disappointed with second visit.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

In order to be close to Washington University for graduation, I booked our May stay the previous December. Prices for graduation time were tripled. (I experienced this same practice in New Haven, CT a few years ago) I booked the corner king suite looking for more space for a five night stay. Besides check-in/out, we didn't have any interaction with the desk staff. The 4th floor suite really did have lots of space with the bedroom separate, but, the layout produced a much smaller bathroom, with no counter space. The closet is in the living room. The room and furniture is starting to look a little worn, will soon need renovation. We like being able to open the window overnight. The complimentary breakfast can't be beat with a different hot item every day. The days the hotel was full, it was hard for the staff to keep the breakfast items stocked and I heard guests complain of an empty coffee urn daily. Complimentary internet was appreciated. I wonder if both elevators were working since we really waited when in the parking garage. And always rode in only one of them. We love the onsite pub...serving a wide variety of scotches, We ate in the pub our last night with a terrific server who went out of her way to make sure I had the pate that was advertised on the plate but not served. She compted our dessert when she found out our daughter had just graduated. At check out I informed the desk staff that I had not been charged for the five days of parking. In shock at my honesty, they thanked me for my stay and didn't alter my bill. We knew exactly what to expect at the Cheshire for our second stay and weren't disappointed.

Room Tip: We liked the fourth floor corner suite and that we could open a window. The suite offered lots of n...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear jlcintexas,
Thank you for your great review of The Cheshire! I am so glad that you chose to celebrate a very special graduation with us! I am so glad to hear that the team such great care of you all while you were here! I truly hope to see you again soon!

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

We would like to thank Justin at the front desk who allowed us an early check in. He didn't act like we were putting him out or that he was doing us some huge favor, he just said, "SURE, let's see what I can do." Thanks to him, we were able to rest after our long journey and be ready for our fathers open heart surgery in the morning. We happened upon this hotel. It was like stepping into another country. We were greeted at the door. The staff was SO kind and welcoming. The room was great. We will stay there again!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Love2plant,
Thank you so much for the kind words about The Cheshire! We really are truly so lucky to have amazing members on our team such as Justin! Everyone here is so passionate about hospitality, and it really shows! I wish your father a speedy recovery, and do hope that you stay with us again the next time you are in St. Louis.

Beardstown, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

I can honestly say that I wish we had stayed at a chain hotel; The Cheshire turned out to be the "downer" on our trip to St. Louis. My husband and I booked two nights at The Cheshire for our first vacation in almost two years -- and I feel like it was a complete waste of money. We have stayed at hotels of all types (from 2-5 "stars") all over the U.S.; this was, by far, our worst experience. I'm not sure exactly what was renovated, but parts of the hotel look shabby and worn.

I booked our room in advance and then called a week ahead of time because I saw on Facebook that there was a charge for parking. The parking charges are $7/night; according to the desk clerk, this is standard for St. Louis. I have stayed in other hotels in St. Louis (downtown) and not been charged a separate parking fee.

I called to confirm the parking charges and also to double-check to make sure a refrigerator would be available (couldn't see any in the pictures, but most hotels have refrigerators in each room). We have a baby and had milk that needed to stay cool. The desk clerk who took my call said that refrigerators were not in individual rooms, but that I could request one -- but that there would be no guarantee I would receive one when we arrived. I explained about having a baby and that I would like to reserve the refrigerator; the clerk said that he would add that to our reservation. When we arrived at the hotel, the clerk said that "they didn't do that" (meaning reserve refrigerators in advance) and that he was not sure one would be available. He was slightly sarcastic about the matter. FYI, the hotel charges $30 a night extra for "incidentals" that is held until you checkout. I've only stayed in a few other hotels that did not do that at the time of booking. Why wait until your guests have arrived to spring extra charges on them.

We were finally granted a refrigerator and made our way through the clichéd seating area to the elevators and up to our room. The music from the pool area was playing so loudly that it could be heard as we exited the elevator. We got to our room and...disappointment all around. It was nothing special. It was smaller than most of the chains we have stayed in and certainly smaller than ALL of the destination / boutique hotels we have visited over the years. The bathroom was the worst part - tiny and awkward. The worst part about the bathroom was the "motion sensor" lights. Every time the air conditioning kicked on, the lights in the bathroom would come on. This happened all night long -- waking us up each time (super fun when you have a baby in the room). We did not get a restful night's sleep either night -- between the lumpy bed, the pathetic pillows, and the delightful bathroom lights. My husband actually unscrewed some of the light bulbs in the bathroom to try to improve the situation.

According to Facebook, this hotel features a "heated pool" -- but this must mean something different to the folks at The Cheshire. The pool area was pretty, but the pool itself was really nothing special -- it was the same type of pool you can find at almost any chain hotel.

The website said that we would receive complimentary chocolates from a local chocolatier... we did not receive any chocolates upon arrival or at any time during our stay. I ended up going down to the front desk to request the chocolates. Also, the "British Tea Service" is just hot water and tea bags. I was expecting something a little more traditional.

Our room was clean enough, though the bathroom could have used more attention (walking in to find someone else's hair in the bathtub is not appealing).

I'm sure part of our disappointment comes from the fact that we were expecting so much more out of a "boutique hotel." The Cheshire was a huge disappointment in that regard. If we had booked a room at a Super 8 then we would have expected something similar to our "Cheshire Experience." The bright spots: Ariana and Sare at the front desk. Ariana, especially, was so cheerful and wonderful. Unfortunately, we did not get to eat at the restaurants at the hotel -- I heard from another customer that Basso was wonderful; however, she had the same problem with the overly-loud air conditioner in her room and said that she could barely sleep.

My point: We would not go back to The Cheshire. I cannot understand all of the high reviews other than people not wanting to admit that it was a mistake to book into this hotel. Save your money and go to a Best Western or similar.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jerris C
Dear Jerris C,
Thank you for taking time to provide us very valuable feedback. I am extremely disheartened to hear that your stay was anything but perfect. As a AAA Four Diamond rated hotel, we take great pride in creating amazing guest experiences. While we do not have refrigerators in every room, we do have a few available ion request and can usually work to accommodate any needs our guests may have. We also monitor our parking charges to keep them in line with our competitors, and in most cases we charge much less. I would be very grateful to have an opportunity to discuss your stay in depth. Please feel free to contact me at 314-647-7300.

front Office Manager
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I had been so excited to stay here for our anniversary. We splurged for the Treasure Island Suite. The hotel itself is stunning - lots of character. But that's about as far as the positivity goes. When we checked in I noticed the nightstand was placed awkwardly so I moved it to discover the housekeeper placed it there to hide that something had been spilled on the floor instead of simply cleaning it. The giant jacuzzi tub had a dark ring of filth around it and pubic hair lying in the bottom of the tub. The shower had also not been cleaned and had a giant wad of hair in it. The housekeeping staff must be allergic to wiping things down because pretty much everything has dust on it including the lamps and bed frame. Even the window slats had dust on them. I actually used a cue tip to write "clean me" in the dust under the sink where the hair dryer is stored. The rugs were not swept prior to us checking in either. Honestly the sheets were the only clean thing in the room. They definitely never move furniture to clean under (just to hide a stain on the floor). The AC and other noise I assume was the pool filtration system was so loud it was very difficult to sleep. Our toilet seat was loose and it didn't look like they cleaned the inside of the toilet bowl either. We really debated about going somewhere else but were exhausted and didn't want the hassle. Despite paying over $250 a night for our room we had to pay $14 a night for valet parking (however non guests who simply ate at the restaurant got it free) and over half of the time we could not find the valet driver plus they apparently aren't even there 24 hours. Also non guests who spend a certain amount at the pub get free access to the pool. So instead of guests getting to enjoy being by the pool it was a drunk fest of pub customers. My husband and I avoided the pool entirely. The housekeeper had the hall almost entirely blocked by stacking her laundry cart in front of her cleaning cart. I had to squeeze between the two and while doing this she threw dirty wash rags out the room she was in and almost hit me in the face. She looked at me yet never apologized. A guest down the hall with a dog checked out the day before and housekeeping left the dog bed and bowl lay out in the hallway and was still there when we checked out the next day. The fire alarm also went off in the morning (good thing housekeeping didn't have the hall blocked then, huh?).I think the breakfast bar staff may have burned something? I avoided the breakfast anyway considering how low the cleaning standard seemed. When going to check out I struggled with the luggage cart getting stuck on the mat then trying to get it through the heavy wooden doors and two guys working the front desk just stood and watched without offering me any help. My husband and I travel a lot and I worked in the hotel industry for 4 years (cleaning- maybe I should train them how?) and have never been so disappointed in a hotel. We stay in St. Louis frequently and I had hoped this would become our regular place - NO CHANCE.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda D
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Amanda D,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Cheshire. I am extremely disheartened to hear about the issues you had regarding both service and cleanliness. As a AAA rated Four Diamond hotel, we constantly strive for perfection. Anything less is unacceptable. I would love the opportunity to further discuss this with you. Please feel free to contact me at 314-647-7300 at your convenience.

Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed at the hotel May 27th and loved it. It is a delightfully appointed historic inn with attractive antiques. The room was large well appointed and had a great bed.
Can't beat it, particularly since we booked it via Priceline at a very competitive rate.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear memgb2000,
Thank you so much for your very kind words about The Cheshire! I am so happy to hear that you had such a wonderful time with us! The antiques throughout the hotel are truly unique and give the property a lot of added charm! I still find new things when I walk the halls! You will have to come back soon and explore some more!

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

From our welcome by valet to our final filling breakfast in the charming nook, The Cheshire was by far my best hotel experience. The classically adorned halls and lobbies set the scene for our weekend getaway. Our spaciously comfortable royal king pool view room upheld the hotel's classic yet modern vibe. The only thing I would have changed about the room were the motion activated lights in the bathroom which could not be overridden for night time use. We were delighted to find our room windows swung open to the pool area below. The cabanas and other comfortable pool furniture, complemented by the waiter service made relaxing poolside irrestible. Nightly music poolside added even more to the atmosphere.

If planning on visiting anything at Forest Park, The Cheshire is the place to stay. For our three nights we capitalized on the park's proximity by enjoying walks to the zoo and art museum on two different mornings. Although we walked to a nearby brewery one night for dinner, our last night we enjoyed the Fox and Hound in the lobby only wishing we had tried it sooner. The food was some of the best pub eats I've had and again the place was nicely themed. Classical live music raised the experience to new levels.

This was a great romantic getaway and although we didn't expect this to be a great choice for families, we saw many happy parents and children. We now plan to visit again and recommend to anyone visiting Saint Louis.

Room Tip: Book online for the best rates.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear JWhyJ,
Thank you for you very kind words about your stay at The Cheshire! Our location right across from Forest Park is almost unbeatable! I am also so glad to hear that you loved The Fox and Hounds so much! It's really such a charming pub! We cannot wait to see you again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

My family and I came to stay for a few days and we absolutely loved it! Where to begin...

First off, the theming and decor was lovely. Immersive and true to the British theme, there were charming displays everywhere. The furniture in the rooms and elsewhere were awesome! One detail we loved was that each room seemed to be named after a different British author. We stayed in the 'J.R.R Tolkien' room, and there was even a copy of 'Lord of the Rings' on one of the tables.

The food was also great and we loved that our room was on the first floor and led right out to the pool. which led to a couple relaxing evenings keeping the door open and going in and out.

The staff was very friendly and helpful throughout the duration of our stay, especially Julian at the front desk.

There was also a silly but nonetheless fun scavenger hunt my daughter and I participated in.

Everything from the ambiance to the feeling we got while staying there was fantastic! Highly, HIGHLY recommend to anyone in the area.

The only drawback I can mention is that since we were close to the pool, something about the filtration system I think was noisy during the night and kept one member of my family awake. The others slept fine. This worked out okay for us since we were only staying a couple nights. Everything else was truly remarkable and will surely be remembered fondly. I hope we can stay again!

Room Tip: If you can sleep through a bit of noise, the floors on the first level near the pool are incredible!
Dear Eilesh,
Thank you for the kind words about your stay at The Cheshire! We truly loved having your family here with us! I am so glad you had fun with your Poolside King Bed! The Scavenger hunt is also a favorite of our guests! I really hope to see you again soon!