“Great Unique Hotel”

Ranked #40 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Illinois City, Illinois
“Great Unique Hotel”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Stayed here for a Wedding, it was a very pleasant stay love the outdoor areas and restaurants connected to the hotel enjoyed great lunch at Market Cafe.
Staff at hotel was very friendly! Also enjoyed Continental breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Sandals011,
Thank you so much for taking the time to say such wonderful things about your stay at The Cheshire! Weddings are such an important celebration, and we are so happy to hear that your family and friends had such a wonderful time. We are truly very lucky to have so many passionate and friendly members on our team! We truly hope that you stay with us again the next time you are here in St. Louis!

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Alligator, Mississippi
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Our stay at the Cheshire was simply wonderful.
All the service staff were really excellent, from the bellman and the valet to the front desk, they really go the extra mile.
The Chesire is a boutique hotel, in the style of an English Manor, and is situated at the southwest corner of Forest Park, (which is huge and fun) and is very close to everything we wanted to see and do in St Louis, the Park, downtown, the Arch, the Delmar Loop.

The hotel itself is simply charming. Dark wood and carpeting, with antiques abounding, and the rooms are all named for British authors.
We stayed in one of the novelty suites, and it was well worth the difference in price. Our room was "Treasure Island", complete with pirate and nautical themes. It had a HUGE tub, with overhead dimmable lighting for most romantic decadent baths. The bed was huge and soft, with high thread count sheets, and thick comforter. The suite was very spacious, with sitting area, huge bathroom, and shower, and Italian toiletries, including Acca Kappa White Moss, my favorite spa product!
Our room was right across from the pool, although from the way the blurb on the website was worded, we expected it to be direct pool access. Not so! If it says 'easy access' it is NOT one of the rooms that opens directly onto the pool courtyard. Having said that, it WAS relatively easy access, just across the hall, but still. If you want one of the suites that opens onto the pool, maje sure you clarify that. The pool has live music at night on the weekends, and is pretty cool, with a nice crowd and a good bar.
Food: There are multiple restaurants on site. We ate at Basso, The Market and Fox & Hounds, but did not get to try 'The Restaurant', but will definitely, on the next trip there.
Basso's pizza was awesome...but the Provel cheese takes a bit of getting used to.
The Market had great sandwiches, and pretty much everything we tried from the Fox and Hounds was good, but their crispy chicken wings were outstanding. All their food comes from local suppliers, and everything is fresh. Eating here is a treat.
Breakfast was good, but we sure would have liked room service, which is not available for breakfast. Oh, well...they make up for it with having a great breakfast buffet, and some truly good coffee.
Overall, we highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Choose the novelty suites if you can get one. Romantic and charming. Use the valet. The parking gara...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear GritsAndGucci,
Thank you for saying such kind words about your stay at The Cheshire! I am so glad that you enjoyed our wonderful Treasure Island Suite (which you are correct does not open to the pool but does have its own fireplace!) Our 4 on site restaurants truly are amazing, and the next time you stay please let us know so we can make you a reservation at The Restaurant!

We cannot wait to see you again!
Charleston, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed April 9, 2014

What a fun/cozy place to stay! Friendly staff, great food, and wonderful decor. We truly felt like we were staying at an English Manor. The rooms were named after English authors with a book of their works in the room. Enjoy the fireplace and the main lobby.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Cassie T,
Thank you so much for saying such nice things about your stay at The Cheshire! I am so glad that you enjoyed the unique experience that we can provide here! Our fireplace is extremely cozy, and the only place that is cooler to hang out is by our amazing outdoor pool that opens for the season soon! I hope that you get a chance to visit again soon.

Colorado
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My wife and daughter had stayed here before on a Washington University college visit. We stayed again as a family on another college overnight stay visit for my daughter, and to spend a couple of days just exploring the area, since the trip was on our spring break.

The hotel has a British author theme with each room named after a British author. The hotel has nice sitting rooms on the ground floor and the Fox and Hound pub in the building, plus three adjacent venues: "The Restaurant" (we did not visit), and "The Marketplace" (we picked up some scones and gelato here) and "Basso" (Italian, we had one dinner here, it was OK). We did eat at the Fox and Hound; it was decent pub food, and they had a good beer selection. The selection of British beers was less than I expected, but they did have great regional microbrews (including some from the excellent Free State Brewing over in Lawrence, KS.) My son really enjoyed hanging out in the Fox and Hound playing chess with me on the chess board tables. One oddity was that the Fox and Hound menu did not have the same selection as the room service menu, which was serviced by the Fox and Hound. I was really looking forward to bangers and mash, but it wasn't on the pub menu.

Our room was very clean and very comfortable. The beds and bedding were very nice. Others have noted the motion sensing bathroom lights. There is a switch to leave them on while showering, but when the switch is off they use motion sensing. The upside is no fumbling for switches in the dark for a person needing to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. The downside is that the bathroom door has frosted glass, so light spills out into the room until the motion sensor switches off the light.

We found the complementary breakfasts to be simple but quite good. Hot and cold pastries, cereal, yogurts, juices. Unlike some chain hotels with free breakfast, their breakfast included a nice selection of fresh fruit. Fitting for the British theme, they had very nice teas. Coffee and tea were available any time.

We were traveling with a fairly young puppy, so a big plus was that this place was very pet friendly. The pet fee included a pet bed provided to our room. Other pet owners were staying too, so the other guests were very friendly to the pets, and the staff was very much so. The only thing lacking was much in the way of grassy areas outside for pet needs.

The hotel is about a mile from the Wash U. main entrance, and right across from the southwest corner of the excellent Forest Park (which was also good for dog and owner exercise). I recall my wife mentioning that they have a discounted rate for parents of current Wash U. students.

One slight negative was that the parking garage was a very tight squeeze for a full size SUV. We used above ground parking to avoid the issue, but that was not possible one night when we got back during peak time for the restaurants on property.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank frontrangeskiier
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear frontrangeskiier,
Thank you so much for taking time to write such a nice review about the Cheshire! We love to see families, including the furry family members, enjoying themselves. Our location near Wash U. makes us a great place to stay, and we hope to see you again the next time you visit your daughter!

Mount Vernon, New York
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I'll start with the reason I felt compelled to write this review. When we received our final bill, it had a $200 charge for "miscellaneous." I inquired about this at the front desk while checking out, and they said that it was a charge for smoking in a non-smoking room. I thought to myself, this will be easy to clear up, nobody in my party smokes, once they realize the mistake they'll apologize and take the charge off.

It was NOT easy to clear up - the front desk staff and a member of the cleaning staff were very insistent and only after a manager (Jeremy Ward, I think maybe the housekeeping manager?) got involved did they reluctantly agree to remove the charge pending an inspection of the room.

I was told that someone on the cleaning staff had observed a fair-haired woman smoking a cigarette out the window of our room. I explained that there were no fair-haired women in my party, and we were not in the room at the time the alleged smoking took place. The housekeeping employee who had made the alleged observation came to the front desk to join in what was now becoming a heated argument. When my VISIBILY PREGNANT wife walked up, the housekeeping employee said she was the one she saw smoking. She does not smoke, not occasionally, not EVER. And who smokes when they're pregnant?! Still the front desk staff and the housekeeping employee conceded nothing. At this point it was clear that they had either observed someone else, similar looking to my wife (but maybe with fair hair?) smoking in another room that they mistook for ours, or else they were just trying to get an easy $200 for the hotel for doing nothing. I suggested the former and the housekeeping employee insisted that she was sure that it was our room (205) and that the woman smoking was my wife.

Finally Jeremy Ward (a manager, I think housekeeping manger, but I'm not certain) came out and diffused the situation. He took the charge off, pending an inspection of the room and gave us a business card.

Very shortly after this exchange took place, the manager spoke to my friend who was staying in the adjoining room (the rooms were booked together) and said that when he went to inspect for any evidence of smoking, on his way to the room he observed a woman smoking out the window of an adjacent room, so it must have been a case of mistaken room numbers. He apologized. I don't know if this observation actually took place, or if they had been caught in a scam and realized it and wanted to set our minds at ease so we wouldn't do things like, say, write this review. Or perhaps it was one of the hotel staff smoking out the window?

Whatever actually happened, it left a horrible taste in all of our mouths at the end of an otherwise uneventful and decent hotel stay.

Since I'm writing, I'll note some other things that on their own would not compel me to write a review.

The bathroom has an annoying motion sensor to control the lights and we could not find a switch to override this in the "always on" or "always off" setting. This was annoying at night when one of us would wake to use the restroom and the light would be on full brightness (too bright) and stay on for a while, shining through the translucent glass bathroom door, into the main room. It was also a problem once or twice while showering - the sensor would not detect any motion because of the shower curtain, and the light would turn off, leaving you in the dark until you move the shower curtain and wave your arm at it. I noticed this complaint in several other reviews.

Sound: In their defense, this is a problem at just about every hotel I've ever been to. This hotel does not stand out as much worse than any other, but it's not good, either. HVAC is noisy - both the fan, and it seems like perhaps the heat pump compressor is somehow located in the slightly dropped ceiling when you first walk in the door. Additionally, just the normal noise that you can hear from the hallway and other people's rooms because the walls are not particularly thick, and there is a little gap under the door.

Breakfast was decent, though poorly laid out so it slowed the process of getting food when there was more than 2 people ready to serve themselves at a time.

Room and common areas were clean. Bed was comfortable. Common areas were nicely decorated. Parking was always available and conveniently located (self park $7, valet $14).

Ha! I was going to say that I appreciated the ability to open the original-looking stained glass windows in the room, but I guess my stay would have been much better if they didn't open!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank John M
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear John M,
I want to start by thanking you for staying with us and taking the time to leave feedback through Tripadvisor. I truly am very sorry about any billing issues and I hope that you were still able to enjoy your time with family. Your comments will be shared with our full team. Please feel free to conatct me directly if you would like to discuss this further.

Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I travel weekly for my job and often hotels blur together in my mind, but not The Cheshire. In addition to interesting decor and fun rooms named for British authors, the staff are some of the nicest, most welcoming people I have ever encountered. Ben and Andrew at the front desk knew my name by my second visit and continue to welcome me back warmly every week.

The rooms are very clean, the beds are comfortable and the water pressure is great in the showers. Also, there are three restaurants on the property that have excellent food. Basically, The Cheshire has everything I could ask for.

I will happily continue to stay here on my overnight trips to St. Louis and highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking to stay in the area.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great, but the themed suites are my favorite.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Misty L
Dear Misty L,
Thank you so much for your kind words about the hotel, my team , and myself! This hotel is really lucky to have a such a strong and passionate team. We also love having you! I am so glad to hear that you enjoy the hotel and our wonderful restaurants. Thank you gain for taking time to leave us such a great review!

We will see you next Tuesday!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed for a whole week and worried about keeping our 5yo son entertained, especially since it's not a large hotel. The pool did the trick. The staff welcomed him with an activity kit during check-in, and a few cool extras like cookies, and a week long scavenger hunt (with prizes at check-out!). The pub has delicious food, and we could even have it delivered to our pool-side veranda outside. The decor was so authentic, we felt like we were back in London. All in all, a great experience!!

Room Tip: Try asking for rooms near the main road so you have something to look at. The back rooms don't...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Hil8,
Thank you so much for taking time to give such a glowing review of our hotel! We love that you enjoyed our unique atmosphere and I am so pleased that your family had such a good time with us. We truly hope to see you again during your next visit to St. Louis!

Thanks again!