“Wonderful stay in St. Louis”
Review of The Cheshire

The Cheshire
Ranked #45 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Our family, consisting of mom, dad, 10 year old, 12 year old, and 2 small dogs, really loved our stay at the Cheshire. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. We liked being close to Forrest Park, the Loop, the zoo, all the major highways, and downtown. The continental breakfast was great for our needs, and I loved having hot tea available at all hours! The pool was nice, the grounds were lovely, and I really enjoyed the English country inn feeling of the hotel. The hotel was very pet friendly, though there was only a little patch of green space on site. We walked our dogs on the sidewalk in front of the hotel, though, and got along great. I would have liked a fridge in the room and a sink outside of the bathroom, but overall we were very happy and would come back for another visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
B_kelly_cheshire, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear fanoflizzy
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with everyone on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased that your family was able to take advantage of our convenient location and wonderful amenities. In addition, we love to hear that you enjoyed the English charm that is The Cheshire. From our rooms being named after British poets, playwrights, or authors, our 24 hour coffee and tea service or the general décor, people often comment how much they enjoy all of it. We hope that your family will come back to visit us soon and wish you all the best.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

As a former St. Louisan, I was familiar with the Cheshire and its location near Forest Park and Highway 40/64. It had been many years since last staying at the Cheshire and what a refreshing renovation it has gone through. I had two recent visits and each room was very comfortable and quiet. One room had a large walk-in shower and the other had a regular tub/shower. Both had good lighting and space. Aveda products were a nice touch.

Service was excellent! At the first visit I was greeted at the front desk by daytime manager, Mike Rodgers who was very thorough in explaining info about the hotel amenities, restaurant, etc.. Saw him later in the hall and he asked if my room was comfortable, etc.. I thought that was courteous and although he was quite busy, he acknowledged guests. The rest of the staff was also very helpful.

With the location, remodel, and great staff, I will definitely return to the Cheshire!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
B_kelly_cheshire, Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear cfrango,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent trips at The Cheshire. You can tell that you are a St. Louisan by referring to I-64 as highway 40! We are so happy to hear that you were familiar with us from the past and had a wonderful couple of trips. The Cheshire underwent numerous renovations a couple of years ago but have done a great job maintaining the history and charm that has become synonymous with our name. We take great pride in all of our team member’s attitude and customer service, making sure that everyone is as comfortable as can be. We look forward to your return back to St. Louis and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed at the Cheshire in early July with our two small children. I would really rate this at 4.5 only because of some trouble making our reservation. Their reservation call center is not on site and run by a 3rd party so I suggest making your reservations online if possible. The phone service is not very helpful.

That being said - The front desk took care or our reservation issues promptly. This hotel is family friendly. The pool is small but nice, especially for children. We stayed during the week and I got the feeling that weekends were more adult/couples oriented as they have a bar and a band/DJ every Fri-Sun. During the weekdays the pool is very quiet as most guests spend the day touring St. Louis. There is also some nice covered outdoor furniture poolside.

We stayed in the Romeo and Juliet room with pool access. We were very excited to be able to walk 10 steps to the pool. One suggestion I would make is that the hotel place a mat or rug inside the door as the floors are very slippery if your feet are the least bit wet. The Decor is old English with a literary focus.

The room is clean and comfortable. There are a few reviews that discuss the loud AC etc. Yes, the AC is noticeable but did not bother our sleeping. We did have trouble with the automatic bathroom light as it stays on for 5-10 minutes after entry, which is a little annoying in the middle of the night.

There are no refrigerators in the rooms, but you can request one be delivered. Ours arrived about 10 minutes after speaking with the front desk. We did not use a crib, however I noticed a few other people had one delivered to their room and I also saw a pack and play being delivered by housekeeping.

They have a wonderful complimentary breakfast with various fruits and pastries. I suggest getting there early as the selection would become a little picked over. They serve Kaldis Coffee which is local and very good. Skip the room coffee maker and enjoy a cup from the lobby!

The hotel is very close to many St. Louis attractions including Forest Park, museums, and the Zoo. If you need any other personal items etc., the hotel is only a few blocks from a major grocery store. It is a very convenient central location. Parking is also very easy in the parking lot below the hotel.

There are 4 restaurants on the property. The Restaurant at the Cheshire, Basso, Fox & Hound, and the Market at the Cheshire. We were able to take our kids into The Restaurant at the Cheshire. It is a bit more upscale, nice wine list and the food was good. I tried The Market for lunch as they had nice deli sandwiches. Basso had an Italian menu and the Fox and the Hound has pub fare. We did not get to try either place but the menu looked good. I ordered one drink poolside and it was pretty good. I was able to charge the drink to the room, but I did not have any cash on me and would have liked if they had you sign for your food/drinks poolside so a tip could be left for the server.

Overall it was a very nice stay and I would suggest this hotel to friends. Feel free to message any questions if you are planning a stay with your family in St. Louis. I will happily provide tips.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Allison b11
Thank you so much for your stay with us and your wonderful review! It is clear you got to really experience all that we have to offer and it thrills us to know that you really enjoyed yourself. From our central location, four restaurants, pool, literary theme, and friendly staff, we are happy to know you got to take it all in. We hope that in the near future, you come back to visit us and see us once again
Hotel Managment

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Chesire and would check into it again if I was visiting St. Louis. There many reasons why I liked the Chesire. First of all, the location, it is located within 15 minutes from almost everything in St. Louis; Washington University, Forest Park, the Delmar Loop, and the Gateway Arch. Also the pricing is very reasonable for what they have to offer. The rooms are well decorated, have very comfortable beds, and are very quiet. The place itself is no ordinary lodge it has a vintage look to it and is furnished with traditional English sofas and tables,which gives the place a cozy feel to it. The food there was fantastic; the breakfast buffet had various items to choose from and there are four restaurants in the same facility as the lodge. I only tried the food at the Fox and Hounds Tavern, which was excellent considering its main function is a bar, but I bet the food from the other three restaurants are just as good if not better. The Wellness center has professional equipment there and is open 24/7. The same is with the pool, which was surrounded with beautiful furnishings as well. The room service was timely and complete. Most importantly the staff was very friendly and courteous; Bill and Annie took care of anything I needed during my stay. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting St. Louis.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear abdalla1622
Thank you for your recent stay at The Cheshire! Your warm review was perfect. As you mentioned, our English furnishings mesh with well with the overall English theme and we hear a lot of positive feedback from guests all the time. Our central location and 4 restaurants have been a big hit with people and we hope that you come back soon to see for yourself. Finally, thank you for mentioning our staff by name. We take great pride in our hospitality here and love to hear that they made your stay, that much better.
Sincerely

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and the staff is excellent especially Benjamin, Sergio, and Annie. Thank you to them for making my visit to STL even better. I would recommend anyone to go stay at the Cheshire.

• Stayed: July 2013
B_kelly_cheshire, Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Dear BG1221
Thank you for your kind words upon your recent stay with us here at The Cheshire! Obviously you were able to have some great interaction with Benjamin, Sergio, and Annie and we just want to say thank you for mentioning them. Everyone here takes great pride in their work and all of our team members are constantly striving to make sure that our guests are having a wonderful experience. We invite you to please come back and visit us soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked a block of rooms at the Cheshire for my daughter's wedding. Lauren Barry was wonderful to work with from first contact through the wedding weekend itself. Many family members and friends stayed at the hotel including myself and the bride and groom. It was a great place to gather the night before the wedding. The boardroom was nice for the hair stylist and the make-up lady used my room, the Beatrix Potter room, for all the girls make-up. I loved that room! The bride and groom stayed in the Romeo and Juliet suite following the wedding. It was very conveniently located to Forest Park where the reception was held also. Lauren and all the staff were very pleasant and helpful! Thanks for a wonderful weekend!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
B_kelly_cheshire, Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear dian611,
Thank you so much for staying us recently at The Cheshire for a wonderful weekend. We are so please we were able to contribute to the special weekend. We are conveniently located next to Forest Park and we are delighted to hear our mini-suites, suites, and boardroom were available to you for preparation on The big day. We do hope that you will come back and visit us soon to share in some other great moments

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Charming place to stay if you are looking for something a little different! Our king size room was perfect size for the two of us and the bed was super comfortable. The bathroom was a little small, but not a big deal in the big scheme of things. My favorite part of the hotel was the Fox and Hound Tavern. Nice place to sit and enjoy drinks...would be great in the wintertime because of the fireplace. What I did notice about this hotel is there were people mingling in the lobby at all hours of the day. There are so many chairs and sofas throughout that it seems to beckon visitors to sit down and just enjoy each other's company. We typically stay in downtown St. Louis when we visit for Cardinals games, but I think we have found a new place to stay from now on. Easy access to downtown, but closer to all the things we enjoy...looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear FoodLoverinOB
Thank you for your recent trip to The Cheshire and your wonderful review! We constantly get compliments of how comfortable the Serta Presidential Pillow-Top beds are and we are pleased to hear that you too enjoyed them. You are correct in noticing that people do mingle throughout the lobby and take advantage of the cute English charm. We hope that you get to come back this winter and see for yourself just how cozy the Fox and Hounds, as well as the lobby, can be during the winter with our fireplaces going.
Hotel Mangment