The Cheshire
$140
Hotels.com
$87
$81
Best Western Kirkwood Inn(Kirkwood)(Great Value!)
$108
$85
Agoda.com
Quality Inn Florissant(Florissant)(Great Value!)
$71
$52
Agoda.com
Clayton Plaza Hotel(Clayton)(Great Value!)
$95
$90
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfox and houndsforest parkthemed roomsliterary themejames bond suitetudor stylebathroom lightclayton roadscavenger huntwood burning fireplacecontinental breakfastfresh fruitboutique hotelunderground parkingwashington universityart museumcommon areas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 3, 2013

It is hard to describe this property because it is so unique. I loved my time in St. Louis and coming "home" to the Cheshire!

The décor was great. I felt like I was truly in an old English Inn. There is a little dark pub inside the Inn that magically transports you away to England. Order a Boddington and sit by the wall to ceiling Hearth.

The rooms are named after famous Authors. Each room is unique in layout and design. Mine as a little on the small side for the price ($150/night) but it was very clean and nicely appointed.

The pool was not yet open as I was there in early April but it looked like a great place to hang out and have drinks.

The staff was simply excellent! They were friendly, greeting you as you come and go. They helped with advice on local attractions and with directions. I left an expensive jacket in the closet after I checked out. By the time I realized it, I was home. The manager called me and asked if I wanted him to ship it. They sent it out right away! What excellent service.

I borrowed a bike and spent the entire day biking all over nearby Forrest Park (HUGE) and the zoo. It sort of feels like "central park".

The continental breakfast in the morning was nice; sit out on the garden patio. Unfortunately this is right beside a busy street but that can't be helped.

This Inn is a short 10 minute drive into downtown to the riverfront. I really enjoyed the restaurants and bars along the river. I visited the Arch and some of the local museums. What a nice city! Also be sure to visit one of the little villages surrounding the city like the HIll, the Loop, ect.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kyle A
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Day one... We show up for a family member's wedding... my son was in the wedding and we were told there would be a gift bag for him... the front desk clerks looked twice - it was no where to be found. They gave us someone else's because they believed they switched them by accident. Sounds harmless, but his grandma loaded up the bag with goodies for him... Next, we run into his cousins who did a great scavenger hunt -- Huh? This was never offered to us.. Then... After the wedding, the entire immediate family was going to a great Pizzeria --- Kudos for Katie's - BUT - the hotel could not find our rental car for 25 minutes - so needless to say - our family was quite upset because they had to wait for us and the pizza was cold. I actually had to ask to be comped the valet charge for 14 dollars a day - Good customer service would have been for them to offer that to me. Oh, and one more thing.. they seemed to forget to clean our room. Just missed it - I guess... They did send up someone to tidy up after I asked them to.

On a positive note, the free breakfast surpasses most hotels I have ever been to. Great fruit and cheese trays, juices and pastries. Everything was very fresh.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kroberts27
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I came for a conference in downtown St. Louis, and this hotel was only 15 minutes from America's Center where the conference was held. The decor is wonderful and the rooms are named for British authors. I felt like I was at an old English inn! I loved it! The room was clean, i were on the first floor with not much of a view, but that didn't matter too much. There were some black scuff marks on the bathroom door, nothing a good Magic Eraser couldn't take care of, just saying.
Anyway, the bar was wonderful, there was live music on Friday and Saturday, and the food was delicious. Free breakfast was provided each morning, so awesome!
To sum up, I loved it and would stay here again in a second! The staff was friendly and calm during some rough weather my last night. I can't say enough great stuff about it, I only wish I would have had time to take a dip in the pool!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Cheshire in St. Louis for two nights. Upon arrival I liked the look and feel of the hotel. It had a fence and security guard walking the parking lot when we arrived which was around 1:30am. However, after only two hours of sleep, we got a call from the front desk telling us we needed to come speak to the police because someone had broken into our vehicle by breaking the back passenger window (which cost 250.00 to replace). My bill for those 2 nights was over 400.00 and they ran my card for the incidentals even though there was no damage to the room. When I spoke to the front desk she didn't know why the 30.00 charge was removed and then put back onto my card. I felt like we should have been offered some compensation for all the trouble with the theft and having to find a place to replace our window on a Saturday morning. I don't want this review to be all negative because there were positives about the hotel....the beds were comfortable, food was great, and last but not least....The bar and the bartenders were awesome!!!
So in conclusion I felt the hotel was over priced and had a false sense of security, but the ambience and food was great.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank wilcmm
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Check in appeared to be smooth until I got to the room, opened the door, and someone else's things were in the room and t.v. was playing. Went back to lobby, got another room, upgraded. There was a used coffee filter still in the coffee pot. A ball of hair was on the entrance floor when you walked in. And one of the towels had stains on it.

The lodge theme is interesting with the historic author/art decor, but lobby smelled of old, too. The room was a little more modern, but had the problems stated above. Bathroom is very small. Aveda products were a nice touch.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business