“Perfect getaway”
Review of The Cheshire

The Cheshire
Ranked #45 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

This is where my wife and II stayed on or honeymoon night and first year anniversary. My wife had been to Europe once and loved it so that's how I came upon it. I love the atmosphere, the staff is always so friendly and helpful, if only they all had British accents, and the smell of the wood fireplace is amazing, one of the biggest reasons I wanted to come back. The only negative was our room was next to a street and at night was fairly busy and noisy but II can't complain, this place just holds a special spot in or hearts.

• Stayed: December 2012
Tony D, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear cab90,

Thank you for spending your special occasions with us! We appreciate the wonderful comments from your stay, and hope there are many more to come. We hope you come back again soon! (You will have to try out our new Restaurant and Gastro Pub.)

There are newer reviews for The Cheshire

Reviewed December 16, 2012

On the day of check out, I had a lovely conversation with a man who worked on the property. He approached me as I sat in the lobby waiting for my ride. He asked me about my stay, what they could do to improve it and then told me a little of the history and renovation of the Cheshire. Our conversation turned toward the very large bear standing in the corner of the lobby. He said it was common during the hotels' hayday for people to meet by the bear in the lobby, thus the phrase "Meet me at the Bear" was born. I loved that little piece of history and this quaint hotel is full of history. From the individualized rooms, each named after a well-known author to the small, dark tavern that serves as the restaurant.

I was given the D.H. Lawrence room and was more than pleased with it. Impeccably clean, with lush, cozy, bedding, a comfortable reading chair and beautiful architecture, I could not have asked for more. Breakfast in the lobby was fresh and nicely appointed with an assortment of food and drinks, including coffee and several flavorful teas. Quiet, comfortable, clean and reasonably priced, this hotel is must-stay for travellers.

(Unfortunately, the adjoining restaurant was still under renovation so I can't comment on the food, but I plan to return when it's complete: it may be finished at this time).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Vivian e,

Thank you for taking the time to post a response regarding your stay with us. There is definitely a lot of history behind our hotel and I was happy to see how you were able to enjoy this. The Restaurant and Basso(Gastro Pub) are both open for dinner and soon to come is our Market and Cigar Bar. We would love for you to return back and have another unforgettable trip.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I really loved this place! The staff was warm, welcoming and helpful, the breakfast nook was perfect (even the coffee was good!), and the rooms were very comfortable. Best of all however was the wonderful literary theme that wove through the hotel. I really enjoyed that each room was named after an author and I loved the room/author-specific bookmarks! Such a great touch. The framed pieces along the corridors were also really interesting and beautiful. It was so nice to stay in a place that felt original instead of a carbon copy hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Tony D, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Dear Gigi617,

Thank you for noticing the unique style that we try to create with our guests during your stay. We appreciate the great feedback and were delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the staff, rooms, and room/author theme. You will have to come back and try a different author next time! Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I had been lookin forward to our weekend there for a month now. My wife got us a room for my birthday. I was so lookin forward to it because of the new renovation I had heard so much about. I grew up right down the street from the Cheshire and always liked the Fox and Hound bar there!!! The disappointing part of our stay was the room!! It didn't look like it had been redone. I brought my left over dinner to the room to discover we had no refrigerator in our room Huh?? A standard King room for over $200 and no refrigerator?? Not to mention the bath/shower combo looked like the one I grew up with.The room was as bland and booring as they come. I especially was shocked that the bathroom had a motion sensor to turn on the lights and 2 or the 3 were burnt out!!!! Too bad. All the money they spent and we will not return or refer to others!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kut s

Dear kut s,

I am disappointed to hear that your stay was not satisfactory. All of the rooms throughout the hotel have been renovated which we constantly get compliments on. We were able to keep the British theme and décor with incorporating a great number of upgrades in the room. Since we are a boutique hotel, we do not have refrigerators/microwaves in the room like a brand hotel, but we do have some available on request. We have 12 different room types which have a combination of a standing shower and a tub/shower combo. I apologize that the bathroom lights were burnt out throughout your stay and that you did not enjoy yourself. I would love for you to come back and return to our hotel to give us another chance. Please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your next stay is flawless.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

The Cheshire was a gorgeous place to stay. The staff were so friendly and welcoming and the owners were actively involved in the care of their guests. We stayed during Christmastime and the decorations were beautiful and elegant. The complimentary breakfast was delicious as was the food at the Fox & Hound Tavern. My husband is a chef and we're very critical of food. We were NOT disappointed!

The room was beautiful, and the bedding was so comfortable!

We thoroughly enjoyed spending time in the lounge next to the open-wood fire. I highly recommend playing the CLUE game - which is for kids, but a fun way to explore the hotel! There's so many antiques and so much artwork to see, so it's a great way to find lots of "hidden treasures!"

We will definitely be returning and brings friends and family! This was an amazing experience!

Room Tip: The rooms are inspired by British authors, poets or playwrights, so if you have a favorite - be sure...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenni D

Dear Jenny D,

We appreciate that you took the time to provide us with some feedback from you stay. We were delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the breakfast, staff, and décor. We have a truly unique property and we value the comments that you provided. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

The newly remodeled Cheshire Inn was a delight - the "old world" feel and cozy lounge were unique and fun. The courtesy of the staff was a plus, both the valet personnel and in-house staff were very friendly and pleasant.

Breakfast was tasty - nice mix of pastries, juices, teas and coffees, plus the burritos were excellent.

The room was clean and well designed/appointed. One minor nit - the automatic light in the bathroom stayed on too long after you stepped out, but overall a great visit and we will repeat.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tony D, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear kdpurdy,

We are grateful for your response and were very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel and the “old world” feel. We strive to give the best possible service to our guests, so thank you for noticing. We would love to see you come back soon, next time you will have to try out our new Restaurant and Basso(the Italian Gastro Pub which is opening Dec 17th).

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at the Cheshire in July on our back from Florida. We had stayed many years ago, and were looking for a fun place to stay with the kids for an evening. The inn had been updated significantly since our last stay, and our room was clean and well appointed. Our family had a wonderful time around the pool that evening and the next morning, and the breakfast, while not extravagent, was well done. The staff at check-in was very gracious and welcoming.

3 Issues of note:
1. We were told when we checked in that there was restaurant/bar service in the pool area until 10pm. After waiting nearly 45 minutes after our arrival at the pool around 8pm without seeing any wait staff, I finally dressed and went to the bar to see about ordering some dinner and drinks. The response I got was, "Oh. I didn't realize anyone was out there."
2. The layout of the breakfast area made it difficult to get to all the items without bumping into the other guests in the area.
3. We spent the morning in the pool area and put a "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door. When we returned, housekeeping was in the process of cleaning our room. We had to ask them to leave so we could clean up and check out.

These are minor items, but are the difference between a 3 and a 4 or 5 rating to me.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Tony D, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Stephen B,

Thank you for staying with us and I was delighted to hear how you enjoyed your time at the Cheshire. I apologize that you experienced a long wait in the pool area and that your room was serviced with a DND on the door. We will definitely address these concerns and I appreciate you bringing them to our attention. I hope you come back and visit us soon, which I am confident will be a 5 star rating.