“Anglophile Heaven!”
Review of The Cheshire

The Cheshire
Ranked #44 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The British style of this hotel was absolutely amazing...especially to find right in the middle of America! I have been to the U.K many times, am married to a British husband, and was in town for the Paul McCartney concert!! So you might say, finding a hotel like this to spend the night in, was really my cup of tea!!! My only regret is that after the huge breakfast I was too full to have the bangers and mash for lunch!!!! And, my only complaint: there was no complimentary limo service which would have been helpful considering the distance from the city center. That in itself we could understand, though, since it was a small hotel. HOWEVER, twice we called for directions (before and after the show) and neither of the people we talked to was able to give us satisfactory directions. In fact, they were completely contradictory! If we had not met this angel of a woman on the Metro who gave us a lift to the hotel, well after midnight mind you, I fear we would have never found our way, and in the pouring rain!!! Still...once we were there and saw our room...all was forgiven!!! Pictures didn't do it justice. We were in the Jane Austen room, and it was simply amazing:) Can't wait to return and, this time, have time for an evening in the pub (& a meal of those bangers & mash!!).

Room Tip: Go for the poolside king...the headboards on those beds are to die for!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tony D, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Doylenova,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback from your stay. We were very eager to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and the décor. We were glad you were able to have such an amazing time and hope you come back to visit soon!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Great location -- close to all the cool bar/restaurant areas.
Friendly help -- everyone very polite and very competent
Great place - quirky motif but fun and clean
Great bar - the bar in the hotel is hopping and fun.

We had to leave early and there was no hassle. We will be back!

Room Tip: Don't have a clue. Get one of the funky suites if you can afford it!

Dear Mark P,

We were glad you were able to enjoy the location, service, décor, and tavern in regards to the Cheshire hotel. We can’t wait to have you back and guarantee you will have another stunning stay with us!

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I had surgery at Barnes/Jewish hospital and needed a hotel close by. The Cheshire
was perfect! It was only 7 minutes away from the hospital. But that was not the best feature. The hotel was great. The old english decor was so inviting and cozy. The hotel, as well as our room, was very clean and spacious. I was very comfortable in my room while resting from surgery. The restaurant in the hotel was also very good.
The staff was very friendly and accomodating. We would definitely stay at The Cheshire again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Tony D, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Glaucia P,

We were extremely pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel and the accommodations. Thank you for staying at our facility, and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I just adored the amazing, BritishThemed decor that also had a quirky fun elegance. Each room was named after a British author or poet. A book mark with the author's name is included with the room. The eclectic meetings/Parlor had an enormous stuffed grizzly bear, large stained glass windows, cozy fireplace, incredibly carved gothic wood furnishings that made me feel as if I was in a castle! There were ample computers in the study and a free breakfast (ie..toast, bagels, fruit, coffee, tea and breakfast burrito and cereal). In the evening, the facility came to life with an artsy, professional crowd at The Fox N Hound Bar. The staff was friendly and helpful, especially the doormen. Now the best part of this quaint hotel was also the location! The St. Louis Zoo is the only free zoo in the country. It was within walking distance. There is a new Sea Lion enclosure where you walk through a tunnel and watch the sea lions swim overhead! the chimpanzee, orangutan and gorilla enclosures are a site to see! A family can literally spend the whole day at the zoo alone! The zoo is located in the beautiful Forest Park, where you can rent bikes, run the numerous trails or go for a boat ride on the lake. The hotel is also convenient to shopping, theatres, museums, the Loop, Washington University...just too many to mention. The newly remodeled restaurant had a wonderful wood oven scent with a large crowd however we had dining plans with family members elsewhere. Now the only downside was the house keeping. The rooms were basically clean however housekeeping just remade the bed and did not change the sheets. We were there for three days. The sheets were a bit scratchy however the mattress was comfortbale. There was also dust on the shelves that housed the toiletries. I wanted to give the hotel a totally superb rating! The customer service was amazing, loved the theme, food, mattress, and location! My husband and I will stay there again however do hope management addresses the minor housekeeping concerns.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Shawn M

Dear Shawn M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback from your stay. I was
very delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the British theme, helpful staff, and of course location. We will definitely address the minor housekeeping concern that you encountered, and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We strive to give each guest a wonderful experience and I was glad that we were able to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here for a one night get away with my wife. 1st impression when walking through the door was what have I gotten my self into. It's very old English, kind of dark. Not like a Weston or high end hotel. I have never stayed at a boutique hotel before. We stayed in the James Bond themed room. Room was neat the bathroom was amazing the tub was about 4' deep the wife loved it. The beds are to die for lots of pillows, two TVs, lots of seating. Bathroom was as large as the bed room with mirrors on all walls, double sink and shower. When we first walked in the room I noticed dirt under the couch but that was it. We went down to the Fox and Hound tavern it was crowded so didn't stay it looked romantic though. Parking they do charge $7.00 to park in the garage and you can come and go as you like that was cheap enough. Now the garage is small not for large SUV's (suburban) I made it into the garage barley but getting out, I couldn't make it with out hitting these orange poles. When we came back I asked if I could park in the vallet area and they let me and commented "I bet you had a hard time getting out." Well yeah, wish they would have told me that in the first place. Overall we would go back and try other themed rooms to compare them.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Jeff K,

We are grateful for your response and were very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel and your novelty suite. You will definitely have to come back and try out one of the other rooms, they are all amazing! We are in the process of making some adjustments in the garage to make it easier to come and go, so we do appreciate your concern on this. We can’t wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Had a wonderful time at The Cheshire and would definitely go back. Its so different from any chain hotel, and the staff and the rooms were great. Aveda hair products were definitely a plus! Cool little bar called the Fox & Hound that apparently is a place that the locals also like to stop by. Very cozy, fireplace, and jazz music made it that much more unique.

Room Tip: check the website for specials-
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Tony D, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear BjR,

We were happy to hear that you had a wonderful time at our facility. We try to set ourselves apart from other hotels with service, décor, and atmosphere. Thank you for taking the time to post a response for us, and we would definitely love to have you back!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Check in was a breeze. The location of this hotel is perfect. Right off the highway and very close to the Loop. We were in STL for a concert at the Pageant and it was very close. Which is an awesome neighborhood. We did not take advantage of the free breakfast or the bar. But the room was very clean and comfy. The parking garage is very tight but very convenient to get you right to your room via the elevator or stairs. I was very pleased with everything!