“Neat place, Needs updating and a new cleaning staff.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cheshire

The Cheshire
Ranked #38 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Grand Rapids, Mi
“Neat place, Needs updating and a new cleaning staff.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We arrived later in the evening to one of
the specialty suites. We found the room to be dusty. Behind the bed stands there were clumps of dust and a dirty fork. The bedside stands had food residue like they hadn't been wipes off after the previous guest. Each day of our stay, new towels were randomly tossed on our bed, but it was hit and miss whether the dirty towels were taken away. Additionally , the hallway carpets
are very worn throughout the hotel. I dis discuss the cleanliness issues with the housekeeping manager. He dis his best to remedy the situation, but it never met our satisfaction.

The positive points of this hotel are the friendly front desk staff and the great pool with wonderful bar staff.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Buzzzz4
Dear Buzzzz4,
Thank you so much for staying at the Cheshire! I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced in with the cleanliness of your room and I am happy you brought this to the attention of our management. I certainly hope you will give us another try to improve on this stay in the future.

Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Baltimore, MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

We had originally booked The Seven Gables, via a coupon deal, but the day we were due to arrive, they contacted us and told us of A/C woes and moved us to the Cheshire, their sister property. We had no idea what to expect when we pulled in, and at first I was a little put off that there appeared to be no bell service. We had a trunk full of luggage. I loaded the cart up myself, but miraculously a porter appeared as I was trying to push it through the door.

Our room was lovely upon first inspection, very spacious and comfortable. My only real complaint was that for some reason, there was no A/C vent in the bedroom portion of the mini-suite. This is a really bad design oversight. It was the hottest weekend St. Louis had seen in a while, and the pedestal fan they had placed in the room did little to alleviate our discomfort. It was also especially dusty, so for the first half hour after we turned it on, I could see dust flying through the air. We cranked the thermostat down to 63, and the bathroom was quite cold, but we couldn't get any air at all in the bedroom. It should really be the other way around.

We enjoyed the pub and had dinner there the first night. Also appreciated that parking was free and we didn't have much trouble with it though the garage is a little tough to navigate in a larger vehicle.

The pool was nice, and we liked the lounge space, but the kids in the pool were out of control, diving and running around the deck. Their mother was with them but just kept saying "you're not supposed to be diving..." instead of STOP DIVING. We got out of the pool after almost being hit in the face with a tennis ball they were throwing. There was no drink service while we were there.

Breakfast... was a nice thought. It was crowded. They ran out of the hot sandwiches, though they did replenish after I asked. We skipped it the second day and went out for breakfast.

Housekeeping didn't empty our trash after our first night. I thought that was odd.

I would recommend it, but not a mini-suite in the heat of the summer, and not if you want a place without unattended children.

Room Tip: Mini-suites don't have A/C in the bedroom portion.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear TravelingSum,
Thank you so much for staying at the Cheshire! I am happy to hear you enjoyed our property and apologize about the A/C. With an old building that is historic we did our best to update the rooms but leave the bones of this amazing property intact and with that we do have some unique room layouts and with the heat of the summer I can understand your frustration. We do take these comments serious as we grow. Thank you so much for you input and we hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Overall, I was happy with our stay, but I noted several things that could be improved, especially considering the price we paid to stay here.

The location is great, especially if you don't want to stay right downtown. Plus, parking is free in the underground garage.

I enjoyed the decor of the hotel, especially the public spaces. The furniture, pictures and wall hangings, carpets, woodwork, lead glass windows, fireplace and other interior decorations looked authentic and fit the tudor styled inn. The pool area is more modern with a variety of furniture and cool (huge!) planters. Regarding the interior of the hotel, I did not feel like I was in England though, as another reviewer suggested.

The breakfast was nice. Great assortment of fresh fruit, juices, and nice teas. There was also cereal, an assortment of pastries and muffins, bagels and sliced bread, plus breakfast burritos two mornings and breakfast biscuits another morning. Yogurts, milk and granola was also available. The hotel was sold out the weekend we stayed (Aug 3, 4, and 5, 2012) and the morning we went to breakfast at 9 am the place was packed out and crowded. We brought our food back to our room since there wasn't any place to sit. The other two days we went to breakfast at 8 am and had a better experience. The food is located in a very small area which makes it difficult to navigate when there are 5-10 people in line for the buffet.

We booked adjoining rooms on the first floor (rooms 108 & 110). I was surprised by how small our rooms were. Very crowded and all of us banged our legs on the bed posts at leasy once during our stay (I ran into them three times!). I was disappointed with the quality of the towels. For nearly $200 per night (35 of that being taxes), I expected a quality above what I'd get at Motel 6. The bath products are Aveda, but the bottles are very tiny (about 4 tablespoons of product).

Housekeeping was hit and miss. Our rooms were not cleaned until late in the afternoon and only after we called to request they be cleaned. Toilet paper was not restocked, so we had to call for more. Paper coffee cups were not restocked either, but the coffee packets were. The white tile in the entry to our room kept getting dirty (even though we removed our shoes upon entering), so perhaps the carpet in our room was dirty? It was dark in our room, so I couldn't really tell if the carpet was dirty since the carpet was dark to begin with. The staff was very nice and friendly though and made you feel very welcome.

My family loves dogs, so we enjoyed seeing the variety of dogs walking through the hotel (on leashes) with their wners. And the hotel plays lovely classical music in the public spaces, so that makes for a nice atmosphere as well. The hotel also provides umbrellas (it rained one day during our stay) and rent-free bicycles and helmets.

Our rooms faced a courtyard that is currently for sale (it isn't part of the hotel), so we had a very quiet room. Although we could hear the beat of the live pool-side band at 11 pm our hallway--I can only imagine how loud it was for those facing in rooms facing the pool!

We used the pool Friday afternoon and evening and it wasn't very crowded, but it is a small pool (no more than 34 sunbathers are allowed at one time), so I can see how it could become crowded rather quickly.

The mattresses and bed linens are amazingly comfortable. The air conditioner is loud, but that didn't bother us.

Staying on the first floor gives you easy access to the pool and the breakfast. The elevators are slow, but you can take the stairs since the building is only four floors. The hotel can't guarantee rooms, but if you book adjoining rooms, they will guarantee you get rooms that connect.

Overall, I wasn't disappointed by our visit and we will likely return, but I do hope the management checks out these reviews and fine tunes some of the issues we reviewers have addressed. It would make the guest experience that much better.

Room Tip: Staying on the first floor gives you easy access to the pool and the breakfast. The elevators are sl...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PAALifeMember
Dear PAALifeMember,
Thank you so much for staying at the Cheshire! I am happy to hear overall you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback so we can continue to improve. We have just celebrated our one year anniversary since reopening the doors after a renovation and hope to continue to add to each guest’s experience and can only do that by feedback from our guests! We certainly hope you will give us another try in the future on your next visit to St. Louis.

Moline, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I booked the Cheshire months ahead of our trip to St Louis and was very excited about what I saw on their website. However, from the moment we pulled in the parking lot it was a nightmare. Parking was our first issue. They have an underground parking garage which is almost impossible to maneuver in and we ended up on the lowest floor where there was standing water and the ceilings were so low that we couldn't raise the trunk of our van all of the way. There is no elevator on this level so you have to walk through the entire garage to get to one. I then went to check-in and the front desk attendant loudly proclaimed that my card wouldn't work. His only suggestion was that I use another card. So I called my credit card company to see what was wrong and when I handed the phone to the front desk attendant for them to describe the error they were getting it magically worked. There was no apology for the hassle and embarassment this might have caused. Next we went up to our room. It was a Mini Corner Suite. We had 4 people booked for this room and I booked directly through the Cheshire's website so they knew this. The first thing I noticed was the temperature. It was stuffy and hot. Then I saw a pedestal fan in the room pointed at the bed. This is because that portion of the room doesn't have an A/C vent, so essentially isn't air conditioned. It is 2012...what "boutique" hotel (using their words) or hotel in general for that matter doesn't have the whole room air conditioned? We called the front desk and the front desk manager came up and somehow fixed the A/C. But it was still too hot in the bedroom area. When we asked for another room he indicated that there was nothing available. During his visit we also found out that the king bed was the only bed space in the suite. The sofa was not a fold-out. So we were expected to sleep 4 people in that bed and that was apparently completely acceptable in their eyes. Not in mine. Their website should not allow bookings of more than 3 people (and that's being generous) for that bed. And you should also be advised that the room is not sufficiently vented to provide A/C. The attitude of the front desk manager was horrible - basically there were no rooms and he looked at me like "what do you want me to do about it?" No apologies. No trying to make things right. Certainly it was abundantly clear that they did not care about my business so my answer for what he could do about it was to refund our money and I booked a different hotel from their lobby computer station. We had a wonderful experience at the new hotel. I would not advise anyone booking a room at the Cheshire. It may have nice decor (the one thing I can say lived up to the website description) but the customer service and room functionality is not up to the standards of a "boutique hotel" or even a 2-star hotel. Never in my 17 or so years of traveling and booking hotels have I had an experience where I refused to stay in the hotel I booked. I think that says something.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Megan L
Dear Megan W,
Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent visit to our property. I am very sorry to hear you did not end up staying. Unfortunately if we were sold out and the room you booked was not large enough we are limited on options. I do appreciate your feed back as we are always trying to improve after just celebrating our one year anniversary of reopening the doors after a extended renovation. Thank you for taking the time to let us know where we can improve for our guests.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Cheshire for our one year anniversary. The parking was an issue so we decided to park on the street. When we got into the hotel the front desk was very nice and helpful. The room was clean and spacious. This is the only hotel that i know of that hassuicide windows (no screen) I thought that was awesome! We went to the pool and there is a bar and a server out there.The pool closed at 10pm but the outside was open till 11pm. It would have been nice to have adult swim from 10-11 but it was still a great experience. The bartender and server were both awesome and was a great asset to our night. I have already called friends and told them to check out this hotel for a KIDS FREE night! My only complaint is the breakfast could have had more options.

Room Tip: Do not get a room that looks to the pool. The noise level will be louder
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Amanda D,
Thank you so much for staying at the Cheshire! We are delighted to see you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate you patience with our limited parking and as construction on our new Cheshire Restaurant and other dinning options is completed we will have that resolved. The Cheshire Restaurant, which will be a fine dinning dinner only restaurant, is set to open in late October and we hope you can plan a KIDS FREE night again this fall!

Little Rock, AR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

This hotel, built in the 60s and with a British theme was overall a very good place to stay. It's very near Forest Park, and it has a nice outdoor pool that the kids loved. Actually, the kids loved the entire hotel. Upon our arrival, they were given backpacks with a scavenger hunt that would take them through the hotel. The lobby decor is a bit kitschy, but our double queen room was nicely updated. Each room is based on a British author, which was fun. The air conditioner worked very well, keeping the room cold even during a record high day. The beds were comfortable with fluffy pillows and down comforters. The bathrooms were of average size, but nicely appointed with Aveda products and good towels. The hotel provides a free continental breakfast, but get there early as the arrangement of the line is awkward and can be challenging during peak time. Unlike some hotels I've stayed at, the staff quickly replaced empty trays, silverware and drinks, and there was plenty of food to be had. There was free wi-fi available throughout the hotel and an area with computers and printers if you wanted to look up something. There was a tavern downstairs that served food and drink, though we didn't try it out. The pool area was nice and the staff closely but politely monitored the hours. Overall we found the entire staff to be very professional and polite. We didn't find the hotel to be any louder than any other hotels we've stayed at. If you like a very quiet stay, I'd recommend that you ask for a room on the back side of the hotel as the front overlooks a busy road and the side overlooks the pool. The parking is free and under the hotel, so if you aren't used to driving in a parking garage, you might not like that. We had no trouble. We came and went at various times during the day and had no issues. It was nice being so close to everything. You are a five minute drive to Forest Park which houses the zoo and other museums, ten minutes from the Galleria, and less than 15 minutes from downtown St. Louis. We greatly enjoyed our stay and plan to stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel are quieter. Large suites are themed but not necessarily able to...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KylesGal
Dear KylesGal,
Thank you so much for staying at the Cheshire! We are delighted to see you enjoyed your stay as well as our Royal Kids program to offer a little something extra for the kids during their stay. We hope to see you and the family again soon for your next visit!

Indianapolis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We recently stayed at The Cheshire, and while it is a nice hotel it definitely has more cons than pros. For starters, our room was covered in dust, the baseboards, corners, hardwood floors, it was gross. Secondly, this place is LOUD, we reserved a pool side suite and it was obnoxiously loud, like, until almost midnight there were people yelling and music playing LOUD. We're in our late twenties, and we like to have a good time and we understand that other people do as well, but the noise was unreal. This hotel would definitely not be baby/small child friendly!! The worst part about this hotel was that they promised on their website to be pet friendly and give you a 'doggie giftset', well, they didn't. We had to ASK them to bring a bed for our dog, and that was ALL they brought, AND it was this flimsy little nothing of a bed. This hotel was definitely a disappointment and I will not be returning or recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tony D, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Kasey D,

I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than enjoyable. Our goal is to provide a clean, comfortable, and friendly place to stay. I apologize that we did not meet up to your standards. We will take your feedback to heart, and will continue to improve our service. Thank you for staying with us and I hope you reconsider coming to our facility in the future so we can rectify the issues that you had. Please feel free to contact me directly on your next stay.

At Your Service,