“For those who love 'character' in thier hotel.”
Review of The Cheshire

The Cheshire
Ranked #45 of 122 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I recently stayed at The Cheshire Hotel on a business trip and was delighted with my stay in this charming "Old World" style hotel. My arrival was delayed till late at night, but their reservation service made late check in easy and the night clerk was well aware of my arrival. The Tudor architecture impressed me as I drove up, and the interior relects a full realization of what the exterior architecture promises. Imagine my delight to find that each room is named for an English writer -be they poet, playwright or novelist- with a portrait, biography and copy of one of their prominant works in the room! And while each room features luxurious old world design funishings, the bathroom and electronics are fully 21st century. I slept well in the very comfortable bed, and next day found a delicious complimentary breakfast buffet at my disposal. There is also good coffee provided in the room. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and would readily return. If you seek character, and Characters, in your hotel stay, this is the place for you!

Room Tip: I would suggest one of their specialty suites like the Ian Fleming "007" Suite, or the Sha...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear James M,
Thank you for staying at the Cheshire. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and our British literary theme! We work very hard to break the mold of what most people think of as even an overnight business trip and offer some additional ambience. We hope you will keep us in mind for your next trip to the St. Louis area for business or for pleasure!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We really enjoyed this magnificent hotel. The hotel is still under alot of construction, but the main building is complete. Great decor, my daughter thought she was in Britain. Friendly staff took care of our needs. The air-conditioner in our room was above the bathroom and made alot of noise, it kept me from some sleep. The front desk would have given us a different room but the rest of the family was asleep, so I toughed it out. The courtyard and pool were beautiful.

1  Thank FunFour67063
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Dear FunFour67063,
Thank you so much for staying at the Cheshire! We do take all of our guest feedback very serious and appreciate that you brought this to our attention. We are happy to see overall you and your family enjoyed our property and liked the extra attention we spent to make our hotel feel like a getaway to a British Bed and Breakfast! We certainly hope you will keep us in mind for your next visit to St. Louis

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Interesting hotel, section next to hotel is under construction but did not cause difficulties. Pool area nice but not huge. The breakfast was fresh, staff were nice, and our room was clean. There is lots of antique appearing furniture here and being British I guess, you drive on the opposite side of the ramp going into the garage. Try to park on the first level you drive down to because the lowest one does not have an elevator. The beds were very comfortable. We just so happen to be in St. Louis for a recorded breaking heat wave so walking the block or so to the park was not an option for us. It is a bit further to the metrolink than we thought so rent a car.

1  Thank CFek

Dear CFek,
Thank you so much for staying at the Cheshire. We are happy to hear your enjoyed your stay at our property even through those rough 100+ degree days! We certainly hope you will give us another try and we will try to pull some strings with Mother Nature to get it a bit cooler so you can at least take one of our house bikes for a ride around Forest Park! Please keep us in mind for future visits to the St. Louis area.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

My family stayed here July 6-8 and could not have been more pleased. My children (8 and 12) are already begging to go back. The location is great! It's right next to Forest Park and about 10 minutes from downtown. The pool area is beautiful with cabanas, tables, and couches and there is food and drink service available. The ladies were great about checking on everyone. Kids receive Royal Kids Club bags with a coloring book, crayons, and coupons for the zoo and science center. My kids loved doing the treasure hunt throughout the hotel.

It does get crowded at breakfast because the area where the food is located is small, but they kept it well stocked. It did not take long at all to get through the line. They have tea forte tea bags and hot water (as well as coffee) available all day and the teas are delicious. I highly recommend the black currant.

Thank you, Billy and the rest of the staff for making our weekend getaway relaxing and memorable! We will definitely be back!!

1  Thank Super_Mom777

Dear Super_Mom777,
Thank you so much for staying at the Cheshire. We are delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and our Royal Kids Program! We hope to see you and your family back soon for more family fun, ask about our Family Retreat package for your next visit to ensure you and your family have plenty of space to relax! We hope to see you and the family back again soon!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed the weekend at the Cheshire. We booked a mini-suite, and while the size was smaller than anticipated, we thoroughly enjoyed the sitting room and one of the most comfortable beds we've slept in! The sleeping area was a little stuffy, but the hotel at provided a stand fan that kept the air moving. Our room was clean and quiet and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was pretty typical continental breakfast foods and it can get crowded, so go early. Otherwise, we had a very pleasant stay and will stay at the Cheshire again in the future!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Jacki F,
Thank you so much for staying at the Cheshire! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and our amazing beds. We have a lot more to come later this year and into next year and hope you will come and experience that as well. Please keep the Cheshire in mind for your next visit to the St. Louis area.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

My wife and I took a trip to St. Louis for the 4th of July and landed on The Cheshire mainly due to its relatively low rates, boutique hotel concept, and honestly, the free parking. We were very very pleased with our stay.
The first thing you notice driving in is the construction going on out front. Obviously, construction and renovations are inconvenient for everyone involved, but other than seeing it when you arrive, the construction will not affect any part or your stay in any way.
The front desk staff went totally above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of in every way possible. This was our first trip to St. Louis and they were great when we asked questions about where to go and what to do and they were full of great recommendations. Every time we called down with a request they were on top of it and made it happen. True professionals. Billy and Mike were great!
The pool was the next thing that totally shocked us. We did not expect to see such a great pool atmosphere at an English style hotel, but it worked and was great. Had great cabanas and just a great place to have a drink and cool off.
The Fox and the Hound was a nice little place to have a drink and get some great traditional English food. It really felt like a proper English pub and the staff was great and food was quick and fantastic.
Also, I have to mention how great the beds were. My wife and I both loved the bed and hated to get up in the morning because it was so comfortable. The pet friendly part was also pretty neat. We stayed for 4 days and I saw only a couple of dogs. No barking, and they were all very friendly. I am a dog person, but unless you have a big problem with being around someone else's dog, then it really shouldn't be a problem for those that may be concerned.
Overall, the folks at The Cheshire took great care of us and I would be happy to recommend this hotel to anyone that visits St. Louis.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrandonT117

Dear BrandonT117,
Thank you so much for staying at the Cheshire! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed our property as well as the wonderful amenities we offer on-site and in the area. I am also glad to hear our staff was able to make you feel at home and offer some great local suggestions to only improve your visit. As you can see we still have much more to come later in 2012 such as adding banquet space and a fine dinning dinner restaurant to only add to the amenities we offer for our guests on property. We certainly hope you will think of the Cheshire on your next visit to St. Louis.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Spent hot July night at the Chesire in The Death in the Nile suite, hotel was so lovingly restored, all the art work and orignal touches are still in place, pool nicely done with Cabana's and wait staff bringing food and drinks from the Fox and the Hounds bar, spent the evening in the pub listening to Jazz music from wonderful duo, our waiter "Joe" was a blast and took excellant care of us, too hot to walk over to Forest Park, but on nicer evening would be wonderful location to use as a base for exploring park and museums. We loved our suite, bathroom well done with a huge tub, nice little decorating touches in the suite as well. Only complaint we did not get our complimentary chocolates, but we were full from the bar by the time we got back to our room. Fun place, great location.

Room Tip: suites were very nice, friends stayed in king room that was well done as well, all rooms named for E...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Dear mdvn,
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Cheshire. I am happy to hear you beat the hot July heat with us and got to enjoy a lot of the great entertainment options we offer right on site! Between relaxing poolside for drinks and food to listening to Jim Widner in the pub sounds like a nice way to relax and I am glad to hear Joe took good care of you! We are always looking for great couples activities to be available and check out our event calendar so you can plan you next couples weekend at the Cheshire around some of our upcoming specials and packages.