The Cheshire
$186
$160
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
The Hotel Majestic St. Louis(Saint Louis)(Great Value!)
$138
$134
$159
$143
$162
EmbassySuites.com
  • Pool
Clayton Plaza Hotel(Clayton)(Great Value!)
$100
Hyatt.com
Moonrise Hotel(Saint Louis)
$229
$179
All reviewsfox and houndsforest parkthemed roomsliterary themejames bond suitetudor stylebathroom lightclayton roadscavenger huntwood burning fireplacecontinental breakfastfresh fruitboutique hotelunderground parkingwashington universityart museumcommon areas
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We lived in St. Louis in the late 90's and my mother grew up there in the 40's and 50's. The Cheshire is a landmark - and until recently - a neglected landmark. Now - it is truly a gem. The renovations are stunning. The service is impeccable. The location is simply perfect for anyone wanting to enjoy all the wonderful things St. Louis has to offer.

What was once dark and dingy is now bright, charming and still old world English. The literary theme is so very fun. Teach your kids about famous authors as you stroll down the hall to your room or to the complimentary breakfast each morning.

A stone's throw from Forrest Park, The Saint Louis Zoo, Downtown, Central West End, Clayton, Cardinal Baseball, Rams Football, Blues Hockey, you name it - you are about 5 minutes from everything.

I love the art... the China...the decor. Family friendly, cozy and fun.

Did I mention the service? We checked in - went to our room - my husband showered - and then we decided that the alley was too accessible to our window. Well, they moved us - no questions asked. "No problem - sure!" was the answer from the apparently empowered people working the front desk. (note to other hotels - the little things like that make loyal customers for life).

Another example... it was about 10:00 p.m. and we went into the Fox and Hound bar for a snack and a drink. It was packed. The server let us know right away that she would be with us shortly. During the brief wait, we decided to go out for desert instead. While waiting in the lobby for my husband to bring the car around, the server came out and found us to make sure everything was ok! I assured her that we just wanted cake and coffee - and it wasn't personal. How cool! She was concerned that she might have offended us in some way - and she followed through. Again - empowered employees make a HUGE difference.

We will go back. We will book there probably each time we visit Saint Louis.

Thank you - for bring back the Cheshire in all its glory (can't wait for the restaurant to open), for empowering your people to provide excellent service, and for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LisaCWilliams
lbarrylhm, Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Dear LisaCWilliams,
Thank you so much for staying at the Cheshire. I am very happy to hear you not only enjoyed our unique ambience but also our friendly staff! We are very proud of our team and work hard to ensure our guests feel the wonderful comforts of home with us along with being right in the middle of as you said the best part of town for most of the best attractions in St. Louis, many of which are free of admission! We look forward to your next visit and please check out website to see what is planned on our event calendar also! We are now able to offer live music on property 4 nights weekly during the summer! We look forward to your next holiday in St. Louis!

Reviewed June 1, 2012

We only stayed for one night, but the Cheshire was perfect! The room was cozy, nicely decorated, and COOL (I find most hotel rooms never get as cold as you'd like). The hotel is whimsically decorated. We stayed in the Junior Suite, and I was secretly hoping we'd get upgraded to one of the novelty suites since it was my boyfriend's birthday...no such luck, but maybe next time?

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Acouple4MO,
Thank you so much for staying at the Cheshire and spending a special occasion with us! We do have some great romance packages that may only improve your next visit available on line and also be sure to check out our events calendar on our website to ensure you get to enjoy live music on your next visit either in our pub or for the summer out on our pool deck! We look forward to your next holiday in St. Louis and who knows we may have a novelty suite available for an upgrade!

Reviewed May 30, 2012

We liked the rooms, but thought they could do more with their themes. They were very friendly, helpful, and accomidating. The location is great for the zoo or Science Center. Don't bother eating in the pub, it was poor quality and we had to go to the bar to tell them we wanted to order anything. Overall it was a pleasant stay that we'd go back to (just not eat there).

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lewis Carol room. It was nice. For the price we paid, we've stayed in nicer. It was a nice splurge and fun place to stay, but not as cool as we thought it would be. It was really nice to be able to go right out to the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Tony D, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Dear Philvertpv,

Thank you for staying with us at the Cheshire! We were excited to hear how you enjoyed the location, rooms, and the staff! I am sorry to hear that you received sub par service in the bar area. This is not the kind of service that we provide and we appreciate your feedback so we are able to learn from this and create a better level of service. We hope you come back to visit us soon!

Reviewed May 29, 2012

When we arrived to the hotel around noon, I asked to have a room assigned since we were planning on spending the whole day in the city and wouldn't be back at the hotel until 11pm that night. The front desk clerk refused to do that and I had to argue for almost one hour to simply get a room number. Mind you, I didn't want to check in at the time or use the room. I'm a light sleeper and simply wanted a room away from Clayton Rd.
When we finally got to the room aroudn 11pm, I realized that the room was dirty. There were peanuts and old gummy bears on the floor. Also, the neighbor's kids were yelling, jumping and throwing themselves at the wall. I called the reception and expressed my displeasure about the cleanliness of the room and the noise. Sara, the front desk supervisor, promised to send housekeeping over and call the family next door. Well, 10 minutes later, the noise continued and Sara called again. I was told that housekeeping was already gone for the day and that instead, I would be given a partial refund in the morning. Again, she promised that people next door would quiet down.
In the morning, the breakfast was crowded. The setup is not very well thought out, so there is always a huge line in front of the buffet and they kept running out of everything such as plates, silverware, sandwhiches, half and half, etc. Needless to say, we were late. The most disgusting thing was the fruit. The strawberries had mildew on them and tasted expired.
When I went to the checkout, the front desk clerk did not offer me the promised refund. In fact, I had to ask him for it. He didn't know how to do it since I paid though Livingsocial. He asked his manager, who was equally clueless. After asking me what I wanted, I replied that I wanted a refund. Well, I was told that they wouldn't be able to do that and that it would be a matter for the General Manager, who wasn't there. They didn't offer to contact him or help me out at all.
I honestly can't say a single positive thing about this hotel. I have travelled 100% for my job and practically lived in various hotels all over this country for 3 years straight and have never experienced such lack of professionalism, cleanliness and customer focus.
The owners should be ashamed.

Room Tip: Beware of the beds. They have raised bed posts that are covered up by a blanket. Because I didn't realize that there was hardwood, I bumped against the hidden bed post and now have a bruise the size of a tennis ball.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank bobbyandspunky

Dear bobbyandspunky,

I sincerely apologize for the level of service that you received during your stay. Our goal is to provide a four diamond level of service to our guests, and unfortunately you did not receive that. You(the guest) are the highest priority to us, and for you to leave unhappy, is dissappointing. As we have discussed, I would love for you to give us another chance so we can show you the type of service that you deserve. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other concerns, and we hope to see you back here again soon.

Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Chose this hotel because of trip advisor review. We arrived around 5.30 and the room was not ready. "Liz" told us to come back in 30 mins. We waited in the lobby for 30mins and came back to check again. She said it still not ready and we had to wait another 30 minutes.

I expressed my displeasure but there is no apologies or effort to fix that. I left the hotel and came back in 45mins. The room was ready. Again "Liz" did not apologize for the wait.

Came into the room, and it was still dusty. Tht glass on the night stand was displaced clock not set. Coffee maker still had coffee stain.

Really, for the price I paid, i expected better service. Never going to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank thedjo

Dear thedjo,

I am sorry to hear that your stay was disappointing with us. I assure you that this is not the level of service that we strive for here at the Cheshire. There is no reason or excuse that your room was not ready in time, and some sort of empathy should have been communicated to you for your inconveinence. I hope that you would consider giving us another chance to rectify the experience you received. Please feel free to contact me directly to make this right for you. We hope to see you again on your next trip.