“My New Favorite in St. Louis”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cheshire

The Cheshire
Ranked #35 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Denton, Texas, United States
“My New Favorite in St. Louis”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Truly a great experience at the Cheshire. We loved everything about it. The rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated, while each in a very tasteful unique way. No cookie cutter hotel decor in this hotel. Really very interesting to take it all in, not just the rooms and hallways but the numerous common spaces on the main floor. Very sophisticated, but still warm and friendly. The wood-burning fireplace in the seating area made us feel right at home. To top it off, the staff was very courteous and on the ball. The Fox & Hound lounge & bar is very nice, with a genuine UK pub feel to it, and with a very friendly staff. Kudos to the management of The Cheshire for putting together a very singular and welcome hotel experience in St. Louis. Highly recommended, and I look forward to returning with my family soon.

Room Tip: Be ready for a great night's sleep. The beds were amazing and the pillows were so comfortable I...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Craig M
Harry L, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
I love to share great comments with my team....thus I will glady share this with my team.

I was thrilled to hear that you felt that..."The staff was very courteous and on the ball."

We look forward to welcoming you back (perhaps this summer) when the heated pool will be open with our lovely cabanas. You can also borrow our complimentary "house bikes" for a pedal into Forest Park.

Or perhaps this fall, when our two new restaurants (we are spending $12 million) along with meeting space, and Deli/Market concetp will be open.

Harry Lunt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I stayed at The Cheshire recently, and had a lovely experience. The interior is decorated in an Old English fashion, with modern coveniences. Everything is clean, and the fire in the lobby provides a warm, inviting atmosphere right off the bat. In summary, the Cheshire is a very quiet, tidy and cozy place to stay, and I would stay here again any chance I got. Really one of the nicest hotels in which I have had the pleasure of staying.

1 Thank Gidskid
Harry L, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
I just wanted to thank you for "your summary"...we hope to invite you back very soon!

Reviewed February 24, 2012

I stayed at the Cheshire with a group visiting St. Louis. The hotel staff went out of their way to make us feel at home. They were nice enough to call a taxi for me to go shoppIng for items I forgot at home. The rooms are really a class act and the lobby is a comfortable place to relax. Highly recommended.

2 Thank jwp12345
Thanks for mentioning that we are "Classy".

I think that rather sums it up.
Many comments that I get are: intimate, relaxed, friendly (not stuffy) and professional.

Hope you and your group will have another opportunity to visit in the future.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

The Cheshire is a lovely hotel. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The staff was very helpful, the food in the restaurant is great. The cheshire has a very unique old time inn feel that is very comforting and makes the hotel cozy and comforting while still maintaining 100% up to date facilities and even modernized touches not seen normally in mainstream hotel chains. If you are tired of the usual hum drum mainstream decor of hotels then the Cheshire is for you. The one of a kind feel of this hotel will make your stay in st Louis that much more memorable.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Cheshire for 3 nights, visiting family in St. Louis. We loved it! Definitely lots of atmosphere in the lobby with a fireplace (they make a fire every day!), about a dozen comfy armchairs, paintings on every wall and stained glass-windows. Every room is dedicated to a different writer, with matching decoration. Our room was quite spacious and the bathroom very modern.
Breakfast was included and served in a smallish breakfast-nook. Although the room was not really big, the choice of bread, fresh fruits, cheese, yogurt, cereals, coffee, tea and juice was surprisingly big! And the staff was very attentive and fast. On the second day (sunday), there even was a waffle iron! We just hope, all the bottles get recycled... (going green...).
Best we loved the complimentary wifi-internet and the free and well-equipped gym! We used it twice and were always alone, although there is enough equipment for a dozen people.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Harry L, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Wow..."Definitely one of the best hotels I've ever been!" - I think this quote pretty much says it all...

We have worked on "beefing up" our breakfast so thank you for the kind words. We are now featuring a "hot" item each day, and we change the "hot" offering every day to offer variety for those guests who might be staying with us for an extended period.

Thanks for pointing out our attentive and fast staff. Our team does a fantastic job.
And yes, we have a "single-stream" recycle program, so the bottles do get recycled.

We hope to see you soon.
minneapolis, MN
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We loved the Cheshire. Our room was updated but still had a homey feel. The real fireplace gave the halls a slight woodsy smell that made the hotel feel like home. Great bargain because we didn't have to pay for WiFi, Parking or breakfast. We will be back!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks a million for pointing out that we are, as you say...a "Great bargain because we didn't have to pay for WiFi, Parking or breakfast."

In Clayton or downtown one has to pay $15 to $20 dollars to park.
WiFi is typically $9.99
Breakast is typically $9.99

Thus a $35 to $40 value!

Glad to hear that you will be back!

SW MO
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I stayed at the Cheshire last night for an annual event. Our organization used to hold our event at the Cheshire for a number of years, but relocated to other hotels when the Cheshire's restaurant closed. We returned this year when the Inn reopened, and it was great to see how the new owners retained the "feel" of the Old Cheshire while modernizing the place.

The rooms were very nice, and the staff was overall very welcoming. Our event was also handled very well. My only disappointment was in the $7.00 pint of Guinness in the Fox & Hounds Pub, which was a bit on the steep side for this review.

Overall, a very good experience at this great piece of St. Louis history!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Harry L, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Thanks for all of your wonderful comments.

Glad you and your organization had such a great time.

You are indeed correct, for decades the Cheshire had been the premier venue to host special occasion events. So perhpas next year you can utilize our larger space which is currently under construction.

Speaking of which, the new event space will overlook the new restaurant dining room from the second floor through a glass wall. The flexible event space will offer a divisible room for banquet-style seating up to 130 guests. Four private rooms are planned to offer intimate space for groups between 10 to 25 guests. Ideal for special occasions, social gatherings, board meetings, or corporate events, the renovated event space will restore the charm and elegance the Cheshire is remembered for.

FYI...I'll get with our Beverage Manager to make sure that our beer pricing is in order...perhaps we can adjust our Guinness pricing.

Kind regards,