“What a difference $9 million makes”
Review of The Cheshire

The Cheshire
Ranked #46 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We stayed at The Cheshire several years ago and the hotel was okay but dreary. The rehab has lightened the place up without taking away the old world charm. The rooms were totally redone and very pleasant. The windows open so you can get fresh air. The only drawback is that the fan on the HVAC is pretty loud. This would not preclude me from staying there again.

The complimentary breakfast is one of the best I've had anywhere and if it's nice out you can sit on the patio.

The Cheshire is located just across the street from Forest Park which is a great place to run or ride your bike if you brought it. The park has some beautiful ponds and lagoons and is worth at least a drive through.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank travelmore4fun

Reviewed October 10, 2011

My wife and I just stayed at the Cheshire to celebrate our wedding, and I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone.

When we made our reservations, we requested one of the King Suites and the Romance Package. We arrived at the hotel directly from our reception, I still in my tux, she still in her gown. As I have noticed to be common in weddings I have attended, neither of us, as bride and groom, had actually gotten much to eat at the reception, as our time was spent greeting and meeting with our guests. So we rushed up to our room to change.

We were very disappointed to discover that rather than a king suite, we'd been given a double queen room. The "romance package" was a bottle of champagne in ice. While I realize that I could have, and in hindsight perhaps should have, gone to the desk and complained, my wife and I were both tired and too happy to strike up an argument with anyone. Instead, we decided that a queen bed would work well enough, and we'd utilize the other bed for her dress.

We then proceeded downstairs to the much touted Fox & Hound Tavern, which was largely empty. We seated ourselves after noting no hostess. After waiting, seated, for several minutes without being approached by any wait staff, I went to the nearby front desk and double checked that we were to seat ourselves, and that we could expect service. I was reassured by the desk staff that I was, indeed, correct, and that a waitress or waiter should be along any minute to serve us. I returned to our table, found my wife still unserved. We waited another five minutes, enjoying one another's conversation, and finally I went to the bar and ordered us drinks.

The bartender was surly (especially after I declined to start a tab, opting instead to pay in cash, and despite tipping generously), but competent. My wife and I tried moving from the fireside seating to a table located adjacent to the aisle between the bar and exit, hoping that this might increase our visibility (though we'd been centrally located prior). Over the next fifteen minutes, we finished our drinks without being served. Over the course of this fifteen minutes, the two waitresses, and the bartender (who seemed to be doubling as a waiter) passed our table numerous times without acknowledging us.

About ten minutes into this fifteen span, one of the waitresses stopped in front of our table, facing away from us, and asked a single man who had arrived after us if he had been served. He intoned that he had (I had noted that he had, like ourselves, gotten a drink from the bar then taken his seat afterwards), and she began to walk away, still directly adjacent to our table. My wife called out that we had not yet been served, the waitress stopped in place at my wife's call, and then continued to walk away without acknowledging us. As previously noted, we then spent the next five minutes finishing our drinks, without receiving any service, at which point we definitively turned our backs on the tavern and left.

After having to drive to the Loop area of University City to find a restaurant that wasn't fast food, we returned to our hotel room and began to discover other eccentricities of the room. The decor was sloppy. Rather than any meaningful, or thought out theme, a series of six irregularly sized diagrams relative to pens and quills had been haphazardly hung on one wall, while a pair of pictures depicting overlarge book spines were crookedly hung on a sidelong wall. While appreciating this attempt at interior decoration, my wife and I both managed to painfully strike our knees on the excessively extended frame of the bed.

We then noticed that the light in the bathroom was on, though we hadn't used the bathroom yet. We entered the bathroom in an attempt to turn the light out and discovered there was no light-switch. Rather, the light was apparently triggered by a motion sensor. The issue with this is that, having failed to completely close the bathroom door, the jet-engine loud air conditioner was breezing the door back and forth slightly, which apparently continuously triggered the motion detector, keeping the light on.

I securely closed the door, and, five minutes later, the light finally turned off. This was substantially less fortunate when I got up at about 4 in the morning to use the restroom (after an evening of wine and champagne), and despite the expediency of my trip, found the light remained on for five minutes after my departure. The flipside of this mechanism reared its head the following morning when I apparently wasn't active enough in the shower, and the light turned itself off, leaving me flailing my arm out the side of the shower to reactivate the thing.

The continental breakfast was bare, consisting of cold cereal, a handful of muffins, fruit, and bottled juice/milk. There were a few slices of bread that could conceivably be toasted. While the breakfast food was not bad, it was hardly an inspiring selection. Given that it was touted as being provided by the Tavern, we could hardly be surprised at the lackluster selection.

The walls of our room were too thin. When our next door neighbors began to hold an indoor church service at 7am, complete with evangelical prayer and singing, we heard every word of it. While the noisiness of our neighbors certainly isn't the hotel's fault, the thinness of the walls is something that any guest should be concerned about.

When my wife made the arrangements, she selected the "A Night of Romance" upgrade package. According to the Cheshire's website, this would net us a "complimentary bottle of champagne, 6 house-made chocolate covered strawberries, the face and body spa lotion, and a 1pm late checkout". I'll forgive them the adjective of "complimentary", seeing as we paid a substantial premium for this package, but I'm less pleased that the bottle was only a half bottle of champagne. We did not receive the chocolate covered strawberries or the face/body lotion. The only bath products in the room were the standard array of Archive products touted as routine for each room. While we likely received the opportunity of the late checkout, neither my wife nor myself had any desire to stay late at the hotel, especially after listening to our neighbors all morning.

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable. However, at the price point we paid, we expected to at least get the benefit of what we paid for: A Deluxe King room with a full, complete Romance Package. It would have been nice if the service could have at least been professional, though at a hotel that considers itself a luxury experience, I would have preferred friendly, and we received neither.

This hotel let us down terribly.

Room Tip: Don't bother, the hotel will just choose a room for you no matter what you reserve.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank John S
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Our visit to the Cheshire Inn last week = seven nights of pure wonderfulness. Everyone made it pleasurable. We were not the easiest customers, either. With a misunderstanding on our part about the definition of a suite, and a four year old child, 15 year old dog and two cats in tow, we really could have been the hotel's worst nightmare. Instead, they accommodated every request, went out of their way to help us make an accommodation situation work for us and were always pleasant, courteous and extremely friendly. Specifics: great staff, always willing to do whatever it takes for customer needs; breakfast! great! We loved the opportunity to eat cereal, bagels, yogurt and great fresh Kaldi's coffee - so glad the management appreciates supporting the local coffee roasters; beds - comfy! Pet friendly to the highest degree; location cannot be beat by any hotel in St. Louis - walk to Forest Park, Walk to Hi-Point/Demun, short drive to the always fabulous Heights indoor water playground. Can't say enough about the management of the Cheshire. They are so good. The ONLY reason we didn't give five stars (or circles) is that we were sad that the heater in the pool was broken. Although it was late September it was still warm enough to swim and we would love to have done that. But a small blip on an otherwise perfect stay. Thanks Cheshire! We'll be back!

Room Tip: Make sure to pet Friendly the bear in the lobby for good luck!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank jgc2011
Reviewed October 9, 2011

After reading most of the reviews on here there isn't much I can add, but I feel these reviews are very helpful so I'll toss in a few of my own opinions. First off, we really enjoyed ourselves here. My husband and I chose this hotel for our weekend away without our 2 small kids. It was located in a great area with lots to do and we found the style of the hotel to be off the beaten path, which is why we liked it so well.

The receptionist employees were very friendly and helpful and our room (Epic King, Pool side) was clean with a great soft bed, hardwoods, and a door that lead directly out to the pool area. The downsides of our room: bathroom is quite small, no spare roll of toilet paper in our room, motion sensor lights in the bathroom that light up the entire bedroom for 10 minutes or so (not good when you wake up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, you wake your partner up with the light and you can't shut it off!), no robes as stated, and the "plush towels" were not "plush". Oh, we were looking forward the flipping through our author's book in the room but it was not in our room as told. I realize I'm being picky, but overall we really enjoyed this room/hotel!

The breakfast was adequate, we did go to Fox and Hounds our first night there (we stayed 2 nights) but we only had drinks. The bar staff wasn't all that interested in serving us for some reason, but we did eventually get drinks. There was one waiter (didn't catch his name, he wasn't behind the bar but instead was walking around the room helping customers) who was extra nice and friendly. We ended up moving out to the pool area after a couple drinks and had to go back into the bar each time we wanted a new drink, which wasn't what we were expecting but we managed.

We plan on making this hotel our "go-to" place to stay for our quick weekend getaways, it's fun and different and overall a good value. I'd say it wasn't so much the staff that made our stay memorable, but more the atmosphere and style.

Room Tip: Pool side room was quiet this time of year, so don't let that discourage you in booking a pool s...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sherry N
Harry L, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2012

Just giving you an update that the light motion sensors have been updated to go off in 5 minutes vs 10 minutes.

We have adding a please leave behind "sticker" on all of the books, as they have "walked out of the hotel", thus guest's will have to think about there actions as it is clearly stated that they should not take the books home.

Breakfast items have been added. We have added a waffle station during the weekdays, along with oatmeal, turkey and cheese.

We have a new Bar Manger and new staff is properly trained and friendly.

I hope to see you back this summer in another epic room. I'll make sure you have your robes!
Sincerely, Harry Lunt, General Manager

Reviewed October 9, 2011

I spent two nights at the hotel and loved it! It is an adorable boutique hotel, parking was easy without a fee. The hotel is in a great area of St. Louis. It is close to the St. Louis Galleria, Wash U, Zoo and Park and other interesting stores around Clayton. It is easy to get there from the airport and felt it was a safe area. I loved the British theme and the wonderful British antiques made for a very cozy feeling. The staff told me that the hotel recently had a million dollar plus renovation and it shows! The room was very tastefully decorated in the British theme, the beds comfortable and the room was quiet. The workout facility was great. Breakfast was delicious and the overall experience was exception. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. I will definitely stay there again on our next visit to St. Louis. Great experience and I picked it through Expedia!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lori W
Harry L, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2011

Dear Lori,

Thanks for the great reviews...I wanted to point out two things to those that read the "threads".
One is that we are very close to the Galleria, and the new Nordstrom's is really fantastic.
For shoppers we are also close to Plaza Frontenac, (for those wanting to do some early holiday shopping). Lastly, thanks for pointing out our Fitness Center. For a small luxury boutique hotel, we have a really great facility.

- by Lori W (Spring, Texas) on 10/9/11. Stay date: October 2011

Reviewed October 9, 2011

Theme rooms are back and modernized for today's hotel style and comforts. Cool outdoor pool lounge area. The Fox & Hounds is also back but without the smoke! A traditional English style pub with the same cozy feel it always had...fireplace with comfy furniture, and live jazz.

Room Tip: I recommend the Passage To India room - it's for LOV-AHS!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Matt C

Thanks for mentioning our "live" music. Jim Widner plays each Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. Free of charge, first come, first served. It fills up fast especially on the weekends. Also, we do have a large flat screen tv, so great for watching the Red Birds, Blue's and Ram's.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

After reading all of the positve reviews there doesn't seem much to add - but I'll do my best.

I'm always a bit apprehensive when arriving at a hotel that i've not visited before, but as soon as I walked in I knew that all would be well. The man on reception was welcoming & it was obvious that the hotel was remodeled and well cared for. My room was not large, but perfectly formed with good quality furniture, a king size bed & overlooking a quiet side street - through an old english stained glass window. Flat screen television with many channels, great air conditioning which was comfortable & quiet - absolutely necessary as it was 90'f when I was there. The bathroom was good size, modern & spotlessly clean. Several people have mentioned the medium size showers - yes they are medium size, but it's modern & worked very efficiently & I managed perfectly.

The breakfast was exceptionally good with a great variety of choice to suit everyone. The 2 ladies behind the front desk (in front of breakfast nook) are pleasant & efficient, clearing the tables as soon as they are vacated & replenishing the breakfast buffet as soon as something ran out. A really, really important thing for me was the coffee machine as It meant that I could have a cup of quality coffee, which is absolutely essential to my sanity!

A well run hotel filters down to the person in charge and the "Cheshire Inn" is run by General Manager, Harry Lunt who was always around and always willing to help. And, the rest of the staff seem to follow his professional lead, and always remained pleasant. I must say, It's reassuring to stay in an hotel operated by a highly efficient staff.

~ Lance G.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank L G

Dear Lance,
Thanks for the shout out...much appreciated. I am indeed fortunate to have such a caring and friendly team. Thanks for mentioning our partnership with (local company) Kaldi's Coffee.
Having complimentary coffee and tea throughout the day is a big plus for our guest's.

I look forward to welcoming you back sir!
Harry Lunt, General Manager