“Wonderful Old English charm meets 21st century”
Review of The Cheshire

The Cheshire
Ranked #40 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Olathe, KS
“Wonderful Old English charm meets 21st century”
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My wife and I booked the Cheshire for a romantic getaway weekend to celebrate her birthday. My wife is an avid photographer and loves Forrest Park in Saint Louis. That made this hotel's location ideal for us. This hotel also appealed to her becuase their rooms all are "themed" after British poets, authors, and playwrights. Her favorite British author happens to be George Lord Byron so naturally we asked for the "She Walks In Beauty" suite. You can look at all their room types on their website.

From the time we checked in to when we left every memeber of the staff was courteous and helpful. We were going out to dinner on Friday and Saturday and needed a taxi and the front desk took care of us.

I personally liked the big flat screen TV x2 in our suite. :) In our suite, they had a pocket reader of Lord Byron's poems.

Another delight was breakfast. It was continental but the fruit was amazing. There were pastries, juice, you could make your own pot of tea, cereal, and hard-boiled eggs. It was perfect since I like eggs, fruit, pastries, and juice, and my wife loved the fruit.

The bathroom was kinda small for my tastes but it was very modern. Oh yeah, the fitness center was fantastic. High-end treadmills, elipticals, spinner bikes, a smith machine, yoga mats, stretch bands, medicine balls, free weights, balance balls, water cooler, and spearate men's and women's restrooms. It was a shame I didn't get to use it at all.

We did not sample the Fox and Hounds while there. We did hear the music start up by the pool and were sad we had to miss it becuase we had dinner reservations elsewhere. As we were leaving a car showed up with people who were just there to have a drink and hang out. I did think it odd that some of the cabbies had no idea The Cheshire was even open again. It was a very nice cozy place to stay and I would highly recommend it for couples, business travelers, and families.

Oh yeah, we also didn't get to take advantage of their free bike rental. Being right across the street from Forrest Park, riding a bike around it would be a very fun day trip away from the hotel and you wouldn't even have to drive!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sc000ter
Harry L, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Thanks for pointing out that our rooms are all "themed" after British poets, authors, and playwrights. Here is a hidden fact...we have a copy of every book as "back-up" in our first floor boardroom, that wants to do some reading on his or her favorite book that we feature.

You are right our bathrooms are a bit small, as our property is some 50 years old.
The bathrooms are fresh and modern, and offer modern amenities such as the curved shower rods, etc.
Thanks for mentioning the separate men's and women's restrooms in the Fitness Center, which we call our Wellness Center.

Come see us next time you are visiting from KS.
Harry Lunt, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We drove from Indianapolis to spend our first anniversary in St.Louis. I called before we left Indy to let them know it was our first anniversary and setup something special. They gave me some excellent options. I received a call about 20 minutes later from the Booking Coordinator telling me that Expedia (who i booked through) sent the reservation THAT DAY and that the room that I reserved was not available. They, as expected, offered me an amazing room on the ground floor with the pool and courtyard access from our back door. We had a bottle of Champagne and two plush robes delivered to our room as soon as we checked in. Since we were out of towners, I asked for suggestions to everything. They were amazing. We were out on the town and called for a suggestion to a place to eat. The recommendation was perfect. My only suggestion to them would be to change the bathroom light. It is on a motion sensor, so when my wife or I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, the light stayed on and shone through the frosted door for at least 5 minutes. Other than that, not a single complaint.

Room Tip: Bottom floor rooms have access to the beautiful courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Being long time residents of St. Louis, we treated ourselves to a night at the newly renovated and reopened Cheshire Inn. Although the original charm of the hotel has been kept it was very apparent throughout the hotel especially in the bathrooms, by the pool, and in the rooms the wonderful job that has been done with renovation. Our room was beautiful, clean, and very comfortable in the space.
An added surprise was how delicious the food was! The newly added bar kitchen has a limited menu but we ate two meals by the pool, and they were outstanding. The scones were the BEST! There were several lovely outdoor areas to enjoy a meal or a drink complete with beautiful plantings.
In addition, we enjoyed entertainment by the pool in the evening which we weren't expecting but was a nice touch.
Lastly, but very important, was the lovely, helpful, and geniunely gracious attitude of every staff member from housekeeping to maintenance to the wait staff.
My husband and I would recommend a stay at the Cheshire to anyone!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sue42in11
Harry L, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Glad you had a great time...thanks for pointing out that the simple "pub" fare food is delicious.
I'm sure we will be working on enhancing the menu this fall/winter. Kind regards, Harry Lunt, GM
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I stayed at the cheshire last year for a convention with the LWV & had a pleasant experience so when planning a weekend trip with my daughter to St Louis we decided to give it a try again. Well to my pleasant surprise the rooms had been renovated. The beds are so comfortable but the hotel still has it's rustic lobby with real fires in the fireplaces & lots of space to sit outside & enjoy a drink with outdoor fires going. It is in a great location & the staff were very helpful to guide us to local activities. We had a great time!

Room Tip: The view of the pool was a little noisy but we loved it.
1 Thank Dot P
Thanks, the main comment that we get from all of our guest's, is that The Cheshire is SO relaxing. Sitting by the fire in the fall weather by a pool that seems like your in the South of France is priceless. Hope to see you back soon...Best, Harry Lunt, GM
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel in the past. They have done a substantial amount of upgrading but still kept the charm of the English Tudor style. All of the staff including the maintenance people make a special point of being courteous. It is located near the edge of Forest Park and all of its attractions and about a mile from "The Loop" with all of it dining and entertainment options. Parking is somewhat limited at night. Their restaurant/lounge is known as an entertainment spot in the area and those people fill up the parking. There is an underground garage consisting of two levels but much of the lower level is unusable because of large puddles of water when we were there.

Expect to add about $24 for occupancy taxes on top of the room rate.

1 Thank Chris V
Harry L, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thanks Chris,
I appreciate all your kind words...and we are working on the "puddles".

All the best, and hope the Cards can play against the Phillies.

Harry Lunt, General Manager
Bella Vista, Arkansas
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I stayed three nights at the Cheshire and would definitely do it all over again. I reserved my room online and thought the price was quite a value, but part way into the reservation process, it told me that two of the three days were weekdays and were even cheaper. On top of that, they have an automatic upgrade to a better room if you stay three nights or more. What a deal!

Although my room was not ready when I arrived, the Head of Housekeeping supervised the cleaning himself and I was beautifully tended to in the meantime by the hotel desk staff, who offered me a drink from the bar and kept asking if there was anything they could do for me. When I finally got into the room, it was immaculate and very, very nice.

The location is excellent, as it is walking distance from Forest Park, a block from the highway and walking distance to a number of restaurants.

The continental breakfast was just OK.

Although this is a very quirky and interesting place in many ways, the absolute best part was meeting the people who work there. They were some of the nicest and most helpful employees I have ever encountered at a hotel.

Stay here. You won't regret it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank WM129
Wow....thanks so much for the glowing reviews...looks like the only thing we could do better is to work on breakfast, and that is exactly what we are doing. This last week, we have added bagels, jams, a toaster, and hard boiled eggs. We plan to roll out a selection of cheese and meats as well. Thanks for mentioning our 3 night pricing, perfect for business travelers and weekend stays alike. Best, Harry Lunt, GM.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I stayed with my family (2 young kids) while visiting family in St Louis. I love it. This went from a hotel I wouldn't set foot in again, to a place I recommend. The Cheshire has maintained the look and feel of what it was before with a few highly significant changes.

What hasn't changed: The heavily themed kitch-y feel that made it a hilarious set for the George Clooney movie "Up in the Air." The paintings are still there that remind me of Disney's Haunted Mansion. The ornately carved wooden furniture, the giant stuffed grizzly bear, the fireplace...all still there. This is not for everyone, but the kids think it's fun and I'm happy to be somewhere with more character than a Homewood Suites. For us, the location still can't be beat especially since we accidentally ended up there the weekend of the hot air balloon fest. The Cheshire Inn is so close to Forest Park and we were able to take in the balloon glow with no problem. And the bar is still there! This is the main reason I like to stay here. After a long day on the town or with the extended family, it's great for parents to be able to grab a couple of glasses of wine to bring back to the room to help unwind after the kids are asleep.

What has improved: The SMELL! YAY! The years of heavy dust, smoke and whatever are gone. It used to be so bad that after one night, we said we'd never stay there again. But that has all changed. Modern recessed lighting makes it lighter and more pleasant. Even the Bear seems to have gone through a cleaning. The rooms, while smallish, are modern and lovely now with super-comfortable beds. Nice touches like a "green" bathroom lighting system that shuts off automatically, locally-grown menu items in the restaurant, and literary themed rooms make me appreciate this hotel. There is a continental breakfast served, which is unremarkable, but nice. Staff is friendly.

I'd recommend this as an inexpensive place for wedding guests to stay when they are in town. The literary theme (every room has the name of an author) and overall decor is a conversation piece, there's ample sitting area in the lobby and bar and outside to sit and talk, and the price is right.

One main complaint: They didn't do anything to improve the windows which are a major safety hazard for kids. Upper floor windows open with one flick of a rusty hinge and they have no screen on them. An enterprising child can easily open it and fall right out.

3 Thank sherekhan_11
Thanks for all your wonderful comments...you are right...we did have the "bear" professioanlly cleaned...we spent nearly $9 million.

I'll talk to our engineer to see if we can look at a different locking system for the windows.

Hope to see you back from the windy city in the near future.
FYI...hopefully our cards can pull out the "wild card"...our hotel is perfect for the Cards vs. Cubs series, and the cab ride is only $20 each way.

Harry Lunt, GM