“Charming Place”

Ranked #39 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Chicago, Illinois
“Charming Place”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed here recently while in town for a Wash U football game. Found the hotel and staff charming. I loved the English Writer's theme for the rooms and the great beer choices at the Fox & Hounds. The room was very nice and spacious, the bathroom impressive and the plug in for the Iphone a nice touch. Very convenient to Wash U so we plan on visiting again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mudandlumber
lbarrylhm, Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Dear medandlumber,
Thank you so much for being a guest of the Cheshire! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Needham, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I was visiting family in St Louis and stayed at the Cheshire. The hotel has just been renovated and it has all the charm of manor house with all the conveniences of a modern hotel. The rooms are very spacious; they were very nice allowed me to check in early. The continental breakfast was very generous and the coffee is the best! The staff is courteous and very helpful, and I would stay there again on my next visit.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank kathleen k
lbarrylhm, Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Dear Kathleen K,

Hotel Management
litle rock,ar
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The Cheshire has been one of our favorite places to stay in St. Louis over the years, but it has been four years since I have been in Missouri. I traveled back there labor day weekend with my teenage son, and a friend of his, to tour the Wash U college campus, as well as enjoy the 3 day weekend. We also happened to be winners in the Cheshire's "Inn it to Winn it" contest, where they invited their old guests to reminisce about their memories of the hotel. I was very pleased to find that the hotel still retains it's unique and somewhat quirky air, with the feeling of being in an English countryside inn. So refreshingly different from the boring chain hotels! It felt like coming home, but to a refurbished, spotless, and shining version of the old Cheshire.
The Fox and Hounds tavern kept it's dim lighting and cozy atmosphere. Although I did miss Mark, their former unforgettable bartender, Tim, the new guy behind the bar,was very nice and personable and shook a great dirty martini... such a relaxing experience.
The rooms, with their modern HD TVs, and upgraded linens and toiletries, were comfortable and clean. I loved the way they were named after a famous author, a book and bookmark provided with room.
The morning complimentary continental breakfast was above average, and the outside courtyard dining area had the feel of being in an English garden, complete with ancient statues.
The Cheshire Inn has managed to retain it's uniqueness, while upgrading to current modern standards. Definitely recommended as a first class lodging in the St. Louis area!

New
Reply all
Forward
Junk
Sweep ▼
Mark as ▼
Move to ▼
[Refresh]

Room Tip: Samuel Beckett suite on 3rd floor was very nice!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank searchfortheunique
Harry L, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Thanks for mentioning that we are "refreshing"...we get that comment all the time.
Also, thanks for mentioning that you were here associated with Wash U.
The Washington University students "love" our newly designed hotel.
Glad we "earned" straight "A's" from you.
Sincerely, Harry Lunt, GM
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I was so excited when I booked my room that I found the cheshire. When we checked in we were disappointed to find that the pool was closed but no one seemed to know why. All 3 days we were in st louis it was 103 degrees. We asked the girl at the front desk if there was somewhere else in the area that we could swim, and she was clueless about that too. There was no consolation or remedy offered, and I am not the type to throw a fit to get it. Unfortunately the pool was one of the top three reasons I picked this hotel (#1 and 2 being the decor and in house tavern) The decor in common area was cute. Free breakfast was good (fresh fruit, pastries, cereal, yogurt, milk, juices, coffee, tea.) Our room was clean and nice enough, but decor was nothing special. I do have two complaints about the room and that is that everytime the air would kick on it was so loud that it would wake us up, and that the light in the bathroom was automatic and would randomly come on at night and wake us up, and several times during a shower it would just shut off, causing you to have to wave your arms frantically in the air thus flinging water all over the bathroom in order to get it to turn back on. Food at the tavern was way overpriced. Valet was ridiculous. They were renovating and there was a lot of trash strewn about the parking garage. Overall I just really felt like I should not have paid so much for that stay.

• Stayed August 2011
Harry L, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
So sorry about the pool situation while you were here.
The communication seemed to have been lacking as well, as we had a five part failure in the pool room, thus the reason for the pool being down.
We have also added a "buffer" to the guest rooms, so that the air flow is reduced, thus the rooms are much quiter now.
The automatic light sensors had also been calibrated.
Regarding our pricing, for instance we use locally sourced fresh quality "grass fed" beef, thus we feel based on our location (for a hotel) that our $12 burgers are properly priced.

We have also worked with our vendor partner to extend better service, and our garage has been cleaned, and will be power washed tomorrow. Again, I apologize that the amenities were not up to par, thus I would like to try and compensate you, by offering you 50% off your next visit with a complimentary upgrade. I can be contacted at hlunt@cheshirestl.com
Harry Lunt, General Manager
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We needed a place to stay while in townfor a family funeral. Hotels in the area were mostly booked for a convention. The Cheshire had rooms, graciously offered a block of rooms at a special price, and made our stay very comfortable. The British author decor is clever and welcoming. What has been renovated is tastefully done, and promises good things for the future. We had wonderful stay firings difficult time for our family.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank revglg
I am glad we could add a little comfort during your time of need for you and your family.
Hopefully next time you can come back for a bit more fun and relaxation.

Harry Lunt, GM
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Hotel is going through renovation - room was really nice, updated, contemporary. no complaints there. However, common areas (lobby, elevator, etc) were quite old and musty, very unappealing. Scared me at first when I walked in. Continental breakfast was nice, as was underground parking, which seemed to be fairly secure. Staff were friendly. Would stay again, but please keep working on rennovation! Location is very central to most attractions in STL, especially Forest Park.

Room Tip: go on hotwire and get superior room for $100 - compared to $170+ on hotel website
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Corinn45
Thanks for your comments.

We are working on our common areas.
I just replaced two rugs with a new one.
The first elevator is being worked on tomorrow, and the second later this week.
The garage will be power washed tomorrow, and the arrival area on P1 will be painted with new shadow boxes.

Kind regards,
Harry Lunt, GM
Salem, IL
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wife and I have lodged at the Cheshire Inn since 1976. We spent our wedding night there, and returned often, even with children. It was sad to see the Inn reduced to being seedy through the years, yet, filled with much charm waiting to be brought back to life. We just celebrated our 35th anniversary, returning to the Cheshire, and was pleasantly surprised. The old charm is still there, but, it has all been completely renovated and updated. They have more planned for the future. The Fox and Hounds Pub is still there and wonderful. We only hope we can see a return of the restaurant. Planning a trip to St. Louis? Give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MLloydSalem,IL
Harry L, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Thanks for spending your 35th with us...
Glad you had a wonderful stay...and I look forward to welcoming you back next year (if not sooner) for your 36th. Warm regards, Harry Lunt - General Manager