“Good, not amazing”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Carr
Transit: Arch-Laclede's Landing Metro-Link Station
Reviewed December 31, 2013

On a recent stay at the Four Seasons in St. Louis, we at Ceilo restaurant. Before our reservations, we had a few drinks at the bar. The drinks were good and service was fast, just not exactly enthusiastic. Maybe the bartender was just having an off night.

Now on to the restaurant. The service was spot on and the table had a nice view. I do feel there is a struggle between trying to be a hotel restaurant and an upscale restaurant. Just an atmosphere thing. The food was good. I very much enjoyed a filet. The side was some kinds of mashed potatoes cake that was very bland an uninspired, but with a little sauce from the amazing filet it was better. Overall I would recommend this restaurant. The wine was great as well.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

We had the fixed price menu. This was a great value. Portion sizes were perfect. We sat outside and the view was awesome as was the pool and water features.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Excellent Italian food and great service... Well done Chef Fabrizio.... We loved the food... Highly recommend it...

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I had high expectations for this place but they fell flat on the face. Where do I start? I made reservations for our Anniversary and the person over the phone said specifically they had the whole night available and open so he said we would get the "Best" seat in the house! Plus he said they would write Happy Anniversary on the plates when we either arrived or when we got our food. I had a lot planned this night, to give her the Anniversary present that I went through a lot of trouble getting, an expensive watch and surprise her by taking her somewhere special! I read reviews and asked around. So I was really looking forward to this romantic atmosphere that I read so much about, tons of 5 star reviews about the atmosphere and the delicious food! Can't go wrong right!?

Arrived, valeted the car, went upstairs, then it HIT Both of US! A VERY LOUD OBNOXIOUS Charity Event /CHRISTMAS PARTY was going on and I was both floored & confused. But thought maybe it would die down. I asked the receptionist what it was and how long it might go on, and that we had reservations, but she looked confused, then she left us standing there, ignored us again, and then came back, then left again preoccupied with someone else and she finally came back after 15 mins. Oy Vay! I was already annoyed by the loudness in the place and Could Not Believe they booked our romantic Anniversary reservations while someone else's Christmas Party Night of all things!?

I was mad before we even sat down. I should have went with my gut feeling and left then but i didn't want to disappoint the lady! I told the receptionist that I reserved the best seat in the house and it was our anniversary so she put us next to the door where everyone was coming in and out from the cold weather!? Really!? I couldn't believe it anymore...the loudness, cold air, kids running around outside on the deck, people in jeans and t-shirts when obviously the website says "Business Casual"!?

OK so the food came and I ordered the veal and she ordered the salmon. We got the four course meal but it seemed like a 2 course meal, very skimpy AND TO TOP IT OFF there was NO "Happy Anniversary" as the reservation guy promised me a few days before over the phone! I about had it by now and complained to the manager and waiter to my wife's dismay, and all they could do was say that they were sorry. I told them that I would not have bothered coming to Cielo for our romantic anniversary dinner if I had known there was a Christmas Party going on AND that they were going to put us next to the outside patio door on a cold drafty night with people shuffling back and forth, kids running about, people in t-shirts, flip flops, some loud obnoxious middle eastern guy that had the mouth of a Whale yapping it up talking loudly at the table next to ours, at the same time the 100+ people at the Christmas party shuffling back and forth, and another lady on her laptop with one table, etc. etc. with so much more to complain about here, plus the food was gross and nasty, lukewarm to cold, and it tasted like it was sitting for the longest time under a heat lamp, was NOT GOOD AT ALL! Our food was also burnt and tasted like it was out of a bag!? Chef Ramsey would have puked and jumped off the ledge at this place! Plus i had to watch sports on the bar tv in the background when all of this was going on!

Oh boy! They tried to make up for it by giving us 4 desserts instead of one, which was nice, but not nice enough after it was all said and done with the $140 price tag I felt like a cruel trick was played on us and that we were at a family reunion or some charity event!? Oh that's right maybe because it WAS a charity event & Christmas Party! I will never go there again unless they beg me to! I am downright sickened by how we were treated, broken promises, nasty burnt cold mediocre food, rude manners, people in t-shirts and jeans, kids running around, cold drafts, loud atmosphere and overpriced cold/warm mediocre food.... this place is downright outrageous not caring one bit for the customer, they were just shoving people in for the almighty dollar! I was let down in a big way and there was no way to apologize to my wife except to not take her there ever again! The only thing nice about that night was the waiter.

Instead of the stupid dessert we should have been given a FULL REFUND! Never again will we step into this dump. I feel so bad that my wife & I had to experience this for the first time, which was supposed to be a nice quiet romantic night turned into a nightmare of sorts! If I could give this place zero or negative 5 stars I would but unfortunately yelp's lowest star rating is one star go figure. I AM LIVID! Avoid at all costs, not only cost you but you will not be happy with the food or atmosphere. Don't know where all these other people's 5 star reviews are coming from, probably confused with the Lumiere Casino Buffet downstairs, a much classier dining experience by far.

3  Thank Cosmos3797
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Our experience with Cielo was entirely via room service. I'd say 75% of what we got was terrible. The only good thing? Some shrimp pasta. The lamb shank was seriously absolutely just plain underwhelming. It was lukewarm, dry, tough, and accompanied by a sauce that just didn't make any sense. If it were called "brown" sauce that would make the most sense because there isn't much of a flavor to describe it with. Everything seemed premade and reheated or prefrozen and thawed. I got something that came with a "fig compote" I believe it was... Oh my god. It tasted like feet and smelled even worse. I almost always smell things before I eat them (weird habit) and didn't smell that for some reason... Or it never would have came into contact with my mouth. We ended up trying again, and got burgers. If you've ever had a 'good' burger... you'd be disappointed. This wasn't even on par with Red Robin, which is pretty mediocre. We also got a $40 steak that didn't taste like anything. Overall... I'd say get shrimp pasta. Or go somewhere else.

2  Thank kslinn2