“Truly outstanding!”
Review of Polite Society

Polite Society
Order Online
Ranked #96 of 3,329 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Description: Polite Society is a restaurant, bar and gathering place located at 1923 Park Avenue, in the historic Lafayette Square neighborhood of St. Louis. We exist to provide our neighbors, friends and families with a warm environment of thoughtful service, exceptional food, drink and company.
Reviewed May 6, 2019

The wine list is extensive and very good! The entrees were outstanding! The trout was wonderful! This is our third time for dinner at Polite Society and each visit was excellent. Our server was very helpful selecting a wine and knowledgeable about everything on the menu. We will certainly be back!

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed April 29, 2019

Their charcuterie board is the best in St Louis with a variety of cheese and meats. Enough for 3 people to share. Their duck was amazingly tender it is served rare. And their trout is also tasty.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed April 8, 2019 via mobile

Went here with a couple of locals who were very old friends. The atmosphere is very pleasant, without being snobby, easy place for conversation. The menu had many excellent options to choose from. The service was OK, not exceptional.
The food was very good, but not great. Pear bruschetta was a great combination of flavors, but couldn’t appreciate the Gorgonzola or candied pork belly. Crispy kale Cesar salad - a very nice take on the original. The coriander duck breast was a little bland - something was missing. We enjoyed the lamb sausage risotto. Ice cream from a local vendor was excellent. Coffee was quite good. I can see returning here when coming back to St. Louis.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed March 23, 2019 via mobile

I don’t even know where to begin....
Atmosphere ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Service ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Food ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Wine / Spirits Selection ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I was in StL for a business trip. After work, 13 of us went to supper. As you walk in, there is an inviting bar area crafted of beautiful wood...it’s an art piece in and of itself. We were lead into an adjoining room that had a steampunk vibe and amazing ambience. We were informed there are seating for large groups at two times...6:00 & 8:00pm.

Our server was a absolutely outstanding! She took care of our group in a manner as if we were dining alone. Drinks always filled, wonderful menu recommendations, and a fun personality to engage with us. Not only does she have the impressive menu memorized, she rattled off their impressive bourbon and scotch selection from memory.

Since we had a large group, we decided to order 8-9 different appetizers (2 of each) so that we could all sample a wide variety....plenty of choices too for those with us who are vegan. Deviled Eggs, Mussels, Potato Gnocchi, Sweet Potato Corn Bread, Summer Roll, Apple Salad, Brussels Sprouts....all wonderful & delicious.

The wine cellar is visible and impressive. Both the red and white wines recommended by our server were unique and high quality. There is also a full bar filled with patrons and a conversational bartender.

I ordered the Bistro Steak. It is a shoulder tender cut and I ordered it medium rare (if you like a well done steak...skip this one). It was cooked to perfection. The steak was so juicy and tender that I could cut it with my fork. They had a few choices for sauce on the side to compliment the steak..I tried all three, they were good, but the steak stood on its own with a little salt.

This is one of the greatest meals I’ve had in my life! If you are looking for a place for: business meeting, romantic date, fun time with friends, or just craving something completely unique...get to the Polite Society! If I lived in StL...I would be budgeting a once a month visit to this amazing place! I would suggest that this not a place for kids....get a sitter and enjoy a wonderful evening among adults thoroughly enjoying some wonderful food.

Checkout their online menu. This is a place that I would say is $$$ out of $$$$ for cost. Let me know what you think of it. Enjoy!

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed February 27, 2019

Let me start by saying, "I'm not a big foodie". The potential problem with these rating pages is that we all like different things and expect different things.

Had dinner here with a friend, last night. Entering the restaurant was a little strange. The door opens in the bar area and when we walked in, two employees looked at us and just asked, "can we help you with something?" We wondered if we were in the right place. My friend asked, "this is a restaurant right?" Yes. "Umm. We'd like a table please." It was just odd.

We were seated right away. The atmosphere is cozy. Our waitress was very friendly and professional. The food was served relatively quickly.
I had the scallops. My friend had the salmon.

I have to say that my food was good. Good - not spectacular.

The scallops were cooked and seasoned well. The side (Celery Root Puree | Crispy Pork Belly | Rapini | Sultanas | Dried Cranberries | Watermelon Radish | Lemon Oil) was not my favorite to be honest. Taking that into consideration then, $50+ dollars for scallops and a glass of wine left me feeling a little underwhelmed.

Date of visit: February 2019