“Fabulous, Beautiful - can't be beat!”

The Chase Park Plaza
Ranked #35 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Ottumwa, Iowa
“Fabulous, Beautiful - can't be beat!”
Reviewed August 1, 2007

Wow, what an unbelievable stay! We were visiting a sick relative at a nearby hospital, and that is how I found out about this hotel. I reserved a "deluxe room" with a king bed for $189/night for a Monday night. After reading everyone's reviews, I asked at check-in for a "quiet room" (which meant not above the nightclubs or near the highway). The very nice fellow at the desk upgraded us to a two room suite, which was the nicest hotel room we have ever experienced! It had two bedrooms, each with their own full closets and bathrooms, separated by a dining room and living room. Three flat screen TV's, and beautifully updated decor. I own a drapery workroom, so of course I took note of the banded drapes and cornices, sheers, and roman shades! Very beautiful. I wish the in-hotel movie theatre had been playing some movies that my 5 year old would have enjoyed, because that was a really neat feature. And of course, the exterior architecture is amazing! The pool and courtyard area is stunning, and you feel as if you are in another era!

My only negatives: The living room/dining room furniture looked fab, but was uncomfortable, and there was a dirty glass on the tray with the ice bucket (something stuck on the bottom). Other than that, the rooms were clean.

We will definately stay again. The other reviewers tips about the nearby grocery (Straubs) were right on - great food and pastries!

• Liked — Amazing architecture/great historic neighborhood
  • Disliked — Current construction
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank lizottumwa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Quad Cities
Reviewed July 26, 2007

We stayed at the Chase Wednesday, July 25th. We were put up there through a contact of ours who paid for everything. This however does not sway my review one way or another. We pulled up to the hotel property to a lovely entrance. The lobby is opulent and everyone is so helpful and nice! My fiance got our room keys (my parents came with and their room was also comped) and we headed around to the parking garage. There is major construction going on in the parking garage but it is all in the name of improvement so no big deal. We parked, walked in and hit major construction again on the way to the elevator. This was not quite the grand entrance you would think you'd get from this hotel but again, it's in the name of improvement...I can't wait to see it when it is completed. My dad was on the fourth floor. We were on the fifth floor. We were both given one bedroom suites and each room was set up a little differently. As we walked towards our room a housekeeping attendant was in the hall. She was so friendly, with a geniune smile on her face. I was worried our room was right by the elevator but it was not. My only complaint about our room was there was no coffee table. It was a lovely, spacious room with flat screen tv, couch, chair, desk, buffet but no table! The bedroom was also very well appointed with nightstands, flat screen, armoire, full length mirror, large closet and access to the bathroom, which was nice size. Loved loved loved the Aveda products! We had enough towels and the room was spotless. I abhor stray hairs in the sink, on the floor, in the shower or on "clean" towels and after my thorough inspection I was pleased to see that all was clean - same for the bed linens, thank goodness! It's amazing how many "superb" hotels have inferior cleaning crews.
We were supposed to go for a VIP brewery tour at Anheuser-Busch..normally we stay down by the stadium so we double checked our directions with the concierge. He was very helpful in steering us the right way. The parking attendant was also very friendly - both times, different ladies. When we forgot our stub they said no problem and waived us through. Upon our return from the brewery tour we had to get ready for the Cardinals game. We wanted to avoid traffic so again we checked with the concierge, a different man. He gave us detailed directions and a map to get us to the light rail train. The area surrounding the hotel was adorable - quaint little shops and cafes - I wish we would have had more time to exlore! Unfortunately our Cardinals lost to the horrid Cubs that evening but we had a wonderful time exploring the area around the hotel after the game.
The next day we had a nice buffet breakfast at the restaurant Bistro. A little pricey at $15.00 a head but the food was delicious and our waitress was a doll!
Overall this hotel was excellent - the construction didn't hamper my opinion although it will be much nicer once it is all complete. I didn't bring my laptop as this was not a business trip but I do agree that with the caliber of this hotel internet should be included at no additional charge.
The best part about the Chase is the people. Every single person we encountered was genuinely nice, willing to help and share a smile. It was such a pleasant experience.

• Liked — The staff was the best - helpful and friendly.
  • Disliked — currently undergoing construction/renovation.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Sebastian'sMom
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed July 26, 2007

I loved staying at the Chase with my grandson. The Chase was my first Hotel stay as a child. I am happy that it has been restored. We had a one bedroom suite.

The only reason I am giving an above average rating is that they have or were having an issue with blocking off one of the entrances with no warning until after you had made the turn into the property. There was a back-up of cars. The guests could not turn around or back up. The valet folks stood and watched not offering to help direct thier own guests. When I let the front desk know traffic was backing up down the street I was told that sometimes people cut through so they closed it. I suggested they put up an orange cone or a sign so guests would not get stranded. They really did not seem to care

• Stayed June 2007
Evanston, IL
Reviewed July 22, 2007

First off, whenever I stay at the Chase, I'm not paying the tab. So I can't speak to value or lack thereof. But I can say that I've been a guest at many terrific hotels, and I always feel more at home at the Chase than anywhere else. Somehow, the staff and the grand old building come together to make me feel as though I've got a rich aunt, and I'm staying at her tony apartment on the upper east side while she's on holiday in the Caymans. The good: the physical facility is just awesome. It's small enough to feel like a boutique hotel (which it's not), large enough to feel like it's got everything you could possibly want or need during your stay (which it does), and opulent enough to feel like it's been host to the rich, famous, and politically connected (I don't know, maybe it has). It's located literally across the street from STL's best and largest park, which makes for a great place to spend any down time you have while you stay for work or play. I'm fond of walking the cute little neighborhood that surrounds the Chase, and I especially like Straub's, the little grocery store across the street. They're pricey, but boy to they have tasty prepared meals. The rooms at the Chase range from your ordinary, garden variety hotel room to two bedroom, two bath suites. I've been lucky enough to spend a night in nearly every type of room, which has been great because they're all a bit different. Being in a historical building means that you sometimes get a room with a fireplace, or a full kitchen, or a bonus sitting area because all the rooms were once apartments. The bad: I've only been disappointed in my stay once, when management was in the throes of a renovation, leaving much of the floor that I was on torn up and dirty. But since it was in the name of making it an even better place to stay, I figured it was not indicative of where things were going, but was just a bump on the road to a nicer hotel. Also, the Chase suffers from a similar delusion that many other pricey hotels do: they think their guests don't mind paying $10 a day for internet access. I mean, you're dropping $200-$300 a night on a hotel room, and they can't throw in 'net access? That's funny, because when I'm in the $89-a-night joints in the Middle Of Nowhere, Iowa, it's free. All in all, the Chase is a jewel for any city, let alone St Louis. I feel fortunate that I get to stay there fairly frequently.

• Liked — The decor in the rooms
  • Disliked — The ongoing rennovation
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank OobaTooba
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 24, 2007

While the location of the Chase Park is fantastic, the hotel lacks most of the technology aspects that I find crucial to an up-to-date facitility. I had lived in St Louis for several years, but this was my first time staying in the hotel. I was quite disappointed. The room (suite), was quite large, however the internet did not work (if it did it was 9.99 for use), the TV had extremely poor reception, the phone to the downstairs restaurants was consistently busy, and the gym was down for remodeling. The staff was of little/no use, and overall I would have rather stayed at the new Marriott on Jefferson of one of the fine hotels in Clayton rather than the Chase. All-in-all, an OK hotel, but not worth the price and the reputation that they claim.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Naples, Florida
Reviewed June 24, 2007

We stayed at the Chase Park Plaza for three nights, June 22-24, 2007. Our 1 bedroom suite was spacious and very comfortable with a huge walk-in closet. The room amenities were very good, but the house keeping service was a bit spotty, not leaving enough towels or forgetting a bath mat , minor things that should not happen. The public rooms are great, keeping the classic look but adding modern updates. Restaurants are also very good. The Tenderloin Room was exceptional - service, from our waiter , Frank, was understated and impeccable. Food was superb and prices quite reasonable. On the other hand, at breakfast in the cafe, service was poor and the hapless servers seemed overwhelmed. Cafe Eau was a happening place!! The outdoor pool is beautifully landscaped and ideal. Hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is great in the Central West End within walking distance of Forest Park and lots of good bars, restaurants and interesting shops in the Euclid Ave. area.We really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely return. With some attention to housekeeping and service issues, the hotel could be truly outstanding.

• Liked — spaciousness of rooms, location, comfortable beds and pillows
  • Disliked — housekeeping service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Equity
St. Louis
Reviewed May 8, 2007

Incredible amenities on site and in the neighborhood. The hotel is undergoing a complete renovation yet again. My guest room/suite was perfection.

• Liked — Location, dining, theater in the hotel
  • Disliked — pricey internet access
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business