“grand experience, buggy details”

The Chase Park Plaza
Ranked #34 of 122 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed November 17, 2009

I stayed at the Chase Park Plaza for three nights recently on business in St Louis. The hotel is impressive: well-maintained and high quality, with a terrific urban park across the street. Staff were professional. The lower level exercise facility is the best gym I have seen at a hotel, ever, and better equipped than most high-end university gyms. Minor things could be improved... the bathroom, although large and well-appointed, had an aggressive mold colony growing in the tub caulk, and the toilet seat was the cheap, thin plastic variety. The free newspaper was USA Today -- hello, am I at the Motel 6? Oh, and skip their pricey restaurants, as several good choices exist a block north and east.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank designertrip
Write a ReviewReviews (1,178)

Reviewed November 5, 2009

We were there for the wedding for a friend's daughter and the venue was well-suited in size for hosting the number of guests. It was a little bit déjà vu as the particular rooms where the ceremony and reception were (the Empire room and roof lounge) also frequently host corporate and charity events we have attended, but was a nice alternative (and I am sure competitively priced) to the couple's original venue choice which had become unavailable. The staff handles many events and so the evening went well and we had a fine time. The rooms, and here I have to agree with some commentaries, can show their age despite renovation efforts. Typically we prefer to attend events and return home ourselves, but felt obligated in this instance to stay over. There were some issues with foul oder in the room and plumbing but nothing surprising perhaps given the aging hotel. Non-local visitors should be aware that there are often weddings and events in the hotel, which is the case of any large hotel of course, but the rooms and corridors tend to be quiet unless children are allowed and then things can get a little unruly. Unlike event-focused staff, the hotel-focused staff can be indifferent at best, so as long as your expectations are reasonable you should not be disappointed. In short, I recommend this hotel for large events when more intimate or personal settings are not possible for budgetary or other reasons, but would recommend considering not staying over if it is possible.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StLouLady
Reviewed October 23, 2009

As booked for a business meeting, had done no research & was surprised when I walked into a very large suite. The staff was accomodating. I arrived at 8am & was able to check in by 10am - spending a couple hours in the comfortable lobby until someone brought a key over to me & apologized for the wait. My room was lovely & comfortable. I don't know St. Louis area too well - but, liked the neighborhood - good restaurants/cafes within a couple blocks. Fitness room opened at 5:30 am & was nice size for a hotel. I thought prices were reasonable.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank SF94597
Reviewed October 9, 2009

My husband and I stayed here during our weekend trip in St. Louis to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were upgraded to a corner suite, separate living room and bedroom, which oversaw the pool and Lindell Ave. Spacious, nicely decorated, complete with a walk in closet, in-room safe, fridge, and foyer area! The bed is very comfortable. Similar to the Heavenly Beds at Sheraton/Westin. Unfortunately, we weren't able to fully take advantage of the amenities (fitness center, spa, theater, pool).. There was so much to see in St. Louis that we ran out of time.

Definitely rent a car, but even self parking is expensive at $14/day. However, I highly recommend parking here. You get in and out privileges. The hotel is located on a strip with several Central West End restaurants, so it gets crowded on Fri/Sat nite. Starting at bout 3-4 blocks north of the hotel, the neighborhood/area gets sketchier and sketchier. Overall, it was conveniently located and a nice hotel. Just 10-15 minutes drive to get to all the places we went (Downtown, The Hill, Ted Drewes Frozen custard, Anheuser Brewery, etc.)

PROs
Beautiful hotel with trendy, Barbara Barry- Baker decor. Completely fits the theme of the hotel as one of the National Historic Hotels in the US.
Staff was very nice and professional.
Outdoor pool area had a renaissance feel (but was also visible from the street despite the bushes/landscaping).
The restaurants and lounge seemed like the place to be on Friday and Saturday night.
Conveniently located near Forest Park (home to the Zoo, Art Museum, etc.)

CONs
The lobby is huge, but the front desk is small. Only had 2 attendants, so there was a wait to check in and to inquire with questions.
The in-house reservations line is only open from 9-6pm. Outside of that, you reach a third party reservationist who can not answer any questions for you.
Depending on the location of your room, you may need to climb a couple of steps with your luggage. If you park in the garage, you will also need to climb about 6 steps to get to the hotel. However, it's connected to the hotel and you feel secure.
No free wi-fi internet service. Most hotels nowadays have it free in the rooms, or at least the lobby.. but not here.. not even the lobby.
Ample towels, but they were not plush. Felt like they forgot to use the dryer sheets.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tweets
Reviewed September 23, 2009

We justed stayed for 3 nights with our 3 young children (4 and under) for our anniversary. We flew in and caught the metrolink to the hotel. It was about a 10-15 minute walk. The staff and accomodations were perfect. We had the one bedroom suite. It was huge, clean, and comfortable. Though the kids thought the minibar snacks were of the "just help yourself" variety. We were also able to watch the hot air balloon race from the pool.

We did walk to the St. Louis Science Center/Planetarium and back one day. If you do that, it is best to walk through the park. Otherwise we took cabs and the metro. We also got a boat at the boat house one day in the park. Very fun. As far as eateries, we ate at several restaurants a block from the hotel. For sushi the Drunken Fish is excellent. The Pasta House is moderate Italian with great salad. And the gourmet grocery across the street was great to pick up a quick pastry. They have an excellent deli in the store if you wanted to take a picnic to the park.

We had such a great time. We would love to make it an annual family getaway.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank mswinford
Reviewed September 20, 2009

After a lot of research, we chose this hotel because of the location, spacious rooms, and amenities. The Chase Park is very nice. The staff was very receptive. Valet service was quick. We booked a 1 bedroom suite and it was much bigger than the pictures show. I thought it was just a bedroom/bath and sitting area. The room included a kitchen and dining area as well. It worked out great for our little family get-away with a 2 year-old. We only ate at the hotel once for breakfast. We had the buffet which for $13.95/person was a bit disappointing. They did make my husbands eggs made to order even though he got the bufftet which was nice. Everyone I have ever talked to has stayed downtown for leisure trips to St. Louis so I was kind of unsure how this location would work. I chose it partly because of its proximity to Forest Park, but you can't really access any of the park features without a car. However, the central West End area was great. Just oneblock down the street is an eclectic group of restaurants, shops, etc. There was also a beautiful fountain that my little one loved. We would stay here again but might consider downtown if our main purpose was a Cardinals game!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank laurawaunt
Reviewed September 19, 2009

I have stayed here in June and then again in July for 4 days each for work. I had a huge room with a separate living room, bedroom, desk area, walk in closet and great bathroom. There was a TV in the living room area and the bedroom. Great hamburgers in the bar downstairs. Very helpful staff. The bed is very comfortable.

I have only one caveat. If you are going to stay over a Thurs, Fri or Sat and you like quiet make sure you ask for a room away from the pool side of the hotel. In the summer they have live music outside until midnight or 1 am. If it is winter, I have heard that you should ask for the 5th floor or above if you are facing the pool because there is live music inside that reverbs through the 3rd or 4th floor. None of that is horrible, just slightly annoying if you need to get to bed and get up early the next morning. I was traveling for work, so...

Anyway, I really like this place. There are good restaurants around the block and a nice little grocery store on the corner for whatever you need. I traveled for work and someone else paid so I do not really know what kind of value this is, but it was great for me.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business