“Historic Hotel in great part of St. Louis”

The Chase Park Plaza
Ranked #30 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Richmond, Virginia
“Historic Hotel in great part of St. Louis”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Stayed at the hotel for business. Not only is the hotel attractive, but it features some very nice amenities throughout the property. Impressed with the room where I stayed, the pool was really nice, and it is close proximity of great restaurants with outdoor eating. Overall, an excellent stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
ChaseParkPlazaHotel, General Manager at The Chase Park Plaza, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you for choosing Chase Park Plaza during your recent business stay. We’re delighted you found our hotel attractive, and that your guest room impressed you. Our Central West End location means our guests can access numerous attractions, shops and restaurants right outside our door. Please visit with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Korean first
Mahomet, Illinois
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Had I paid the normal, advertised rate rather than a conference rate, I would have been very disappointed. While staff was friendly and the hotel itself beautiful, my room did not feel clean. The towels were dingy and the shower liner was disgusting. It took two days for the liner, which was falling off, to be replaced after asking twice. The baseboards throughout the room and bathroom needed attention as well. There were also stains on one pillow case and the decorative bolster pillow. The pool area is lovely and the chairs comfortable. While I stayed four nights, I did not eat in the restaurants nor did I order room service. The location is convenient to nearby restaurants, shops, hospitals, and museums.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
We’re glad you stayed with our hotel during your conference. However, it seems that we missed the mark when it comes to some issues for you and for that we are truly sorry. We deeply regret the housekeeping items you detailed, and will be sure to share your comments with our entire housekeeping team as we aim to provide the best to our valued guests. We hope you will stay with us again. Thank you.
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed August 15, 2014

My husband reserved our room at this hotel without my knowing. It was a pleasant suprise!! It's a beautiful, vintage property with its own movie theater and spa. I loved the old-world decor and enjoyed my spa treatments. The location was good, within walking distance of the zoo if you have kids and near enough (by car) to all the attractions. (My review is long overdue. We went in January of 2013, but the website won't allow me to select that option.)

Room Tip: Two-bedroom suites are available. Ours was perfect.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thanks so much for your glowing review of Chase Park Plaza! What a lovely surprise your husband had for you, and we’re glad we could make it a memorable stay. We’re delighted you enjoyed our décor, and your spa treatments sound wonderful. We hope to see you two again in the near future.
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Beautiful hotel, stunning pool and a movie theatre. The location is excellent. All that being said, we were traveling with kids (9 and 11) and it wasn't a great fit. There is live music in the courtyard on the weekends and they play until 1 am. We could clearly hear the music playing in our 6th floor room. We took the kids to the pool on Saturday afternoon and found there was only one other child in the area. The pool was filled with adults, many drinking along the side or in the pool. There was live music and a bar. Very fun for a wedding or girls' weekend - not so fun for a 9 and 11 year old.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
ChaseParkPlazaHotel, General Manager at The Chase Park Plaza, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
While we’re glad you enjoyed the beauty of our hotel, pool and other amenities, we’re disappointed that not everything was perfect at your recent visit. We apologize if you were disturbed by nearby noise. At times our hotel has more families with children than on other days. We hope you will return for another visit in the future. There is so much to do for families in the Central West End, including beautiful Forest Park just across the street. Thank you for your review.
Missouri
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We have stayed at this property multiple times and this was the first time they disappointed us. First of all, there were 4 weddings at the hotel so it was almost full, if not full. The waits were longer and we had to call multiple times to get our roll-a-way delivered, plus additional calls for bedding for the sofa sleeper. The noise level was terrible! We were in the tower and had a room that overlooked the pool area. Big mistake. There was a loud DJ playing until midnight. The guests in the halls were also very loud after midnight, which isn't the hotels fault. None of this would have bothered me but we paid a lot of money for our suite and couldn't wait to leave. In the future, if we stay at the Chase during the summer/pool months, we'll know to request away from the pool side or in the quieter tower.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the pool side during the summer months to help control the noise level. Parking...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the many times you have visited with Chase Park Plaza. We are deeply disappointed that this visit did not live up to your expectations in every way. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the wait time you experienced during a busy time in the hotel. We also regret the noise you describe. Please know we urge our valued guests to let us know right away if something isn’t right, and allow us the chance to assist. We would love to have you return for the stay you deserve.
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed August 9, 2014

The Chase Park Plaza is legendary in St. Louis, and indeed it is a "grand old hotel" in beautiful Forest Park. There should be a lot of things to like about it, but my stay was disappointing. I came there for a board meeting (60 attendees), and my colleagues and I were scattered throughout the hotel. Normally this would not be a big deal in and of itself, however, different elevators (requiring a key) are needed to get to different parts of the hotel. I couldn't visit a colleague at his/her room without having them meet me in the lobby. I'm surprised the event staff did not offer to book our group together for this reason.

More frustrating, however, was the lack of cleanliness in the sleeping rooms. All of us on the fourth floor had issues - my room had a thick layer of "fuzz" all around the baseboards and around the furniture legs, and there were moldy places in the shower. My colleagues had different experiences - a large wad of hair in the tub drain; dirty coffee cups; a sock under the desk. For what we paid for the rooms (plus a fee for each wireless device, each day), I would have expected better.

The concierge staff were friendly; the front desk staff courteous (I wouldn't say friendly, though). Wait staff at the hotel bar were absent at best.

Upsides: the bed was comfortable, the meeting rooms were nice, and the location can't be beat.

Not sure I would return for a leisure stay, or recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank campbellkar
ChaseParkPlazaHotel, General Manager at The Chase Park Plaza, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Though it’s truly disappointing to learn that your experience was not reflective of the customer service we have set, we are grateful you reached out and shared your review. While we’re glad you enjoyed our central location, and you found your bed comfortable, it’s extremely disappointing to learn you weren’t satisfied in every way with your guestroom. We do apologize, and will share your comments with all of our housekeeping associates. We hope you’ll allow us the chance to welcome you back for the kind of experience you deserve.
Idaho
Reviewed August 6, 2014

This is an older hotel in a cool part of town and I have stayed here in the past. I was looking forward to a relaxing two night stay. Well, if you book through a travel discounter such as Priceline and Hotwire, you are risking any sort of decent stay especially if you book it blind and find out who they are after you book. As a customer you are less than dirt in this case. They have your money and consider you some sort of riff-raff or lesser customer. You are put into the older part of the hotel and on the lowest floor possible. (This has happened twice so I know it is not a fluke.) So all things considered my original room on the 3rd floor was ok, the check-in staff was nice, bellman great and the valet team terrific. After check-in, I went and ate in the cafe. The service was good and the food, while nothing exceptional, was decent except for the under-cooked french fries. Next, I went to a movie. Not many hotels have their own movie theaters, but this one does so the convenience is nice. I did hear a lot of noise out in the hallway during about half of the movie as folks lined up for the movie next door to mine which was annoying.

It was after the movie that the "fun" really started. I came back to my room to find my shower stall wet as if someone had taken a shower with the shower door open. The top of my toilet was wet and there was a large puddle of water in the bathroom. I called the front desk immediately to tell them about my bathroom. It took them 30 minutes without even looking at the bathroom to decide that they believed me and that there was a problem as the room above me had flooded and was no longer in service. They said that they would move me. It took another 30 minutes for the bellman to come to my room to help with my luggage because he was "busy". One of the things he was busy with was moving a group out of several rooms down the hall. As we headed towards my "new" room the night manager stopped us and told us to wait in my flooded room. She ran into my soon-to-be new and much smaller room and removed a room service tray. I was then given this used room that she had decided was OK for me to have (she was determined that the lesser being that I was stay on this lowest floor). I now had a queen bed versus the king that I reserved and the room was 60% the size of the previous one. The lamp shades were dirty and crooked and the worn chair fabric appeared older than me. Looking at the positive side this room had a refrigerator, where the other did not yet the Chase calls itself a "boutique hotel". Seriously? One might call it a room feature that I could stand in this room naked and not worry because no one could see either in or out of my windows because of the trash on the roof and the metal objects that may or may not have some purpose.

I called down to the front desk and no one seemed to care about the fact that I did not like this room. No one is empowered in this organization. The front manager who must have recently had a charisma by-pass didn't care at all about my dislike of the room. So I asked that she find me a room in a different nice hotel and refund my room purchase. Her customer-oriented response was swift: she kicked me out. According to her I wasn't nice, I was rude. Hmmm....giving people bad rooms isn't rude? She told me tough as far as getting my money back. I could just go back to the company I booked it through. It was my problem, the hotel didn't care. It is pathetic that they stole my money. It didn't work out, the rooms were not as advertised, so just give me a refund...what's the problem? I was there only a few hours. The night manager was the rudest person I have ever encountered in either a hotel or restaurant around the world. She definitely needs to rethink her career choice or learn how to be responsive in a timely way and not take out things on customers.

So while there is a pool and spa that I wanted to try out, I wasn't allowed to. There are multiple hotels in Clayton and at least one other in downtown St. Louis that I would recommend you stay at well before the Chase. Several actually are boutique hotels. And if you use Hotwire or Priceline, AVOID this hotel. No good will come of your stay. You are nothing to them.

Room Tip: Pay full price and insist on a newer room, higher up and not by the condominiums..
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank westerntraveler12
While we’re glad there were many aspects of your visit which you enjoyed, including the kind service of our associates and your meal, we regret you were inconvenienced in any way by your room situation. While the details about this cannot be fully addressed in this forum, please feel free to reach out to the hotel directly if you would like to further discuss it. Thank you for your candid review.