The Chase Park Plaza Royal Sonesta St. Louis
$204
$176
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
The Hotel Majestic St. Louis(Saint Louis)(Great Value!)
$138
$134
$159
Clayton Plaza Hotel(Clayton)(Great Value!)
$100
$176
$162
TripAdvisor
1,245 results
All reviewsmovie theatertenderloin roomcafe eaugrand old hotelclassic hotelone bedroom suitebeautiful hotelclub levelwalk in closetwashington universityart museumoutdoor poolfitness centerking bedself parkvalet parkingst
Reviewed October 15, 2013

When visiting St. Louis i like to stay at the Ritz Carlton, but rooms were not available for my visit. The Chase Park Plaza is always the next choice, even though it is not as new the Central West End location makes up for it. It is nice to be able to walk to outdoor cafes/bars and not have to hop in the car. It is also across the street from Forest Park, which is great to run in.

During my last visit last week, I arrived at the hotel and was given a very spacious room in the tower part of the hotel and had a view of Forest Park. The room was a little dated but was what appeared to be clean. When i walked over to the bed, the bedspread was turned down and what i saw were stains on the underside of the bedspread. Obviously this skeeved me out a bit and I immediately called housekeeping for a new bedspread. Which they sent up pretty quickly but the replacement was even worse with cigarette burns in it. I finally gave up and just asked for extra blankets, which were some sort of synthetic material. They were lightweight but warm.

Overall my stay was very nice and the staff could not have been nicer. The hotel just needs a little sprucing up.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
ChaseParkPlazaHotel, General Manager at The Chase Park Plaza Royal Sonesta St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

While it seems that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us, from our amazing location to your spacious guest room, we must apologize if you were anything was amiss regarding your bedding. Our associates are always happy to help in any way they can and your comments will be shared with everyone here as we continuously strive to provide the very best. We hope you will stay with us again for an even better experience. Thank you for sharing your impressions.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed one night during the Cardinals/Cubs weekend series. This was a business trip planned by my husbands' company. I'm not privy to writing negative reviews, that's why I'm giving it an average rating, I really think this hotel deserves no more than a 2 out of 5. Our room was on the 7th floor. The room was large, well equipped, and had a nice view. The room was FILTHY! The amount of dust and DIRT that had settled on the baseboards, light switches, lamp shades, tops of picture frames, etc...was not from a little neglect by the maids, it was so thick it had to be there for months, maybe a year. There was a beautiful mirrored entry table inside our entry door, on it sat the ice bucket, upon first glance you think "this is a beautiful entrance". Then, you turn the lights on and see the splatters of what had to have been red wine running down the corner of the wall, mirrored table, and lamp. There was a beautiful office area however the lighting was horrible, I soon figured out why they opted for low lighting. The picture hanging to the side of the desk was covered in greasy fingerprints, the telephone on the desk had a gray receiver and buttons (gray from filth) it was really supposed to be beige. Long story short, I was glad we were staying only one night and at the expense of my husbands office, otherwise I would have checked out immediately. Our children were not with us, had they been I would have never stayed in the room because I wouldn't have wanted their little hands touching all the filth.
In all fairness, this was my first stay, I didn't choose the hotel, and I didn't see any of the other rooms. I'm hoping this room was just an exception, otherwise I can't imagine what makes this hotel so appealing. I'll stick with my Marriotts.

Room Tip: Don't forget to take your antibacterial wipes.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

It's disheartening when a guest leaves feeling they did not have their expectations met, nor does it reflect the high standards of service that we have set. We urge all of our guests to let us know about any concerns that arise while they are here so that we can resolve any issues immediately. Your comments will be shared with our management team as well as our housekeeping associates to ensure that all is at its best for future stays. Thank you for sharing your opinions and thoughts.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed in large suite with huge living room, big bed room, walk in closet, and a tiny 5' X 7' one sink bathroom. Good think no one was with me. Made reservation months in advance for good view, and got stuck with room looking at another room. If I washed the filthy window and looked down, I could have seen the pool. $2,000 for three nights, left $5 on bed first day for maid and all glasses were left dirty, ice bucket filled with melted ice (water), bed not even made tight. Only evidence that a maid was even in the room was the towel was removed from the shower bar and folded. No turn down service at night. Didn't leave any maid money the next few nights. This hotel is just like a roadside Howard Johnson, only for 100 times the price. I expect this for $39 a night at podunk hotels. Born and raised in St. Louis, visiting for a reunion, never been at the Chase before but wanted to stay near Central West End restaurants instead of Clayton where the sidewalks roll up at night. It's back to the Ritz Carlton for me, never going to Chase again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mfingerhut
ChaseParkPlazaHotel, General Manager at The Chase Park Plaza Royal Sonesta St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Please accept our deepest apologies that we did not create the experience you deserved and that you were not impressed with our hotel at every turn. Your comments will be shared with all departments to re-emphasize the high standards in place for customer service and attention to detail. It is never our intent for guests to feel that their stay was not everything they had hoped it would be. We value the feedback you've offered and thank you for your review.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at this historic, prestigious hotel recently in one of the suites. The room was clean and quiet. The bed was very comfortable. Although we had kitchen facilities, we did not use them. We ate in the restaurants on-site and close by. Check-in was easy and quick; the staff was very helpful and friendly. My husband chose to park the car rather than use the valet service. He had a little trouble finding his way back to the lobby because he did not see any signs pointing him in the right direction. We used room service, which was a little pricey ($20 for ice cream in a cup). There is a theater in the hotel; however, we were unable to go. We enjoyed looking at the pictures of historic St. Louis that are hung in the hallways and lobby. A great place to stay!

Room Tip: There is a view of a park on the front side of the hotel. Our room did not overlook the park.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

The Chase Park Plaza is truly one of the greatest St. Louis landmarks and offers all of the charm and historical significance of years gone by coupled with luxury and convenience. Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent visit. We are so glad you enjoyed a comfortable stay as well as our hospitable service. Next time you plan a getaway, be sure to include a trip to our on-site theater as you won’t be disappointed! We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife, baby and I stayed at the Chase Park Plaza from Sept 1st - 8th. The ascetics and architecture was amazing leaving us pleasently surprised.The check-in went flawless, however everything after was ridiculous.

Once in the room we discovered a large sized hole in the window screen that was directly in our field of vision. This looked very tacky to say the least. Shortly after that I discovered black mold in the shower area in the corners and around the faucets. Honestly, I was not too worried about it, but because we had a baby with us and this was supposed to be a four star hotel it definitely deserved the attention of management.

I spoke with the front desk dayshift supervisor an informed him of my concerns. The supervisor not only didn't take ownership of the problems but he seemed to have a pre-rehearsed set of excuses from, 'It was a hail storm in April which caused the hole in the screen to the mold must have just formed over night.' Front desk summoned the house keeping supervisor who responded to the room with a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a couple Q-Tips. Wow! Then our room service arrived with an incorrect order. So far this seemed to be par for the course with this place.

Later in the night after exploring the area, my wife, baby and I returned to the hotel for dinner at the restaurant next to the pool. Needless to say it wasn't exactly bursting at the seams with patrons so we were seated immediately. After about 35 minutes had passed and I still did not received my entree, I summoned the server and much to her and my amazement, she forgot to place my order which consisted of a medium rare rib-eye and potato. The server's response was, 'My bad.'

Being highly annoyed, I ushered my wife and baby off so they couldn't witness me tell the server what time it was. I threw down a wad of cash and stormed off. I was intercepted by the restaurant manager, Tony, who was very empathetic with my situation. Tony bent over backwards, was very professional and customer service oriented. He took the time to listen and discover there was much more than a late entree that led up to me being so disgruntled. After hearing the rest of the story, Tony ushered me to the front desk and brought it to their attention, Robert & Stephanie, about what had taken place within the first few hours of our stay.

Robert and Stephanie were so disappointed with my experience that they upgraded my family and I to a suite with club access. Honestly, if this had been the customer service I received in the first place there would have been no issues. I have to give credit where credit is due because all three did a wonderful job by displaying excellent customer service and should all be commended for their performance.The new room on the 9th floor was amazing and I was greeted in the new suite with my luggage along with the steak order that was originally forgotten about. Wow!

But the happiness soon dissipated quickly because the attention to detail that we had a problem with before regarding house keeping reared it's ugly head again. In plain view in the bathroom on the floor behind the door were cookie crumbs. In addition to that was melted chocolate on the sheets at the foot of the bed. Are you kidding me!?! Oh yea, theres even more. Since this was a suite, there was also a nice selection of drinks and snacks. The only problem was that some of the snacks offered, Pringles, Lindt chocolate bar and Smart Treasures nut mix, were all expired. Is this really a four star hotel? Anyone? As far fetched as it seems this was all unearthed one after the other within the first two days of our one week stay.

It wasn't even worth mentioning any more because I would sound like a sniveling little wee-wee. I felt like the inspector from the show, 'Hotel Impossible.' After all, where would I be moved to next? The remainder of the stay though went without issue. What I found funny was that I intentionally wrote a note about the cleanliness and left it out in the open next to the bed so house keeping would read it and police themselves. I guess I had wishful thinking because they went right around it and no changes were made.

To put it in perspective, had each one of the things (Hole in the screens, mold in the showers, lack of attention to detail with house keeping, poor customer service from the servers and expired snacks) all been isolated incidents, it probably would not have been worth mentioning because mistakes happen. But because they all occurred one right after the other it gives the patron the perception the hotel is sloppy and definitely not worth a four star rating.

All in all we enjoyed our stay at the Chase Park Plaza and would reluctantly return. Had it not been for Tony the restaurant manager along with Robert and Stephanie from the front desk, this stay would have definitely been a disaster.

If hotel management were to ask me for advise about this stay I would recommend a serious overhaul to house keeping for their lack of attention to detail.

Room Tip: Conduct a thorough inspection for cleanliness and make sure snacks are not expired!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Barney B

We couldn’t be more disappointed to learn of your recent experience at our hotel as this is not the type of encounter we would hope for any of our valued guests. Despite the change in your accommodations while visiting, we must deeply apologize for any housekeeping concerns or dining service issues you have noted here. We will be certain to go over the points you have made with our management team as well as our associates to ensure that every area of our property is at its most fresh and our high level of service is maintained. Your candor is truly appreciated and we hope that we have the opportunity to fully impress you with all that we have to offer in the future. Thank you.