“Standards have fallen”

Ranked #35 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Standards have fallen”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have stayed at The Chase for years and love the history and neighborhood. Unfortunately my last visit was disappointing. The carpet, upholstery, and bathrooms in my room were dirty. The bedspread was torn and the room service staff left dirty plates from the previous guest outside my door for several hours after my arrival. The lobby even seemed to be dirty as the rug in the foyer was filthy. The staff was courteous and attentive. I hope that this was a fluke, but I doubt I will stay there again unless I hear of changes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for posting a review about your recent experience at the Chase Park Plaza. I was very disappointed to hear about your stay and what you experienced and would welcome the opportunity to learn more about your visit. I never like hearing of any guest leaving the Chase unsatisfied. I can be reached at aellis@chaseparkplaza.com.

We take all our reviews, and of course the condition of the property very seriously and I have shared your findings with the team here so that we can rectify the situation.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future to discuss this further.

Andy Ellis, Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Worcester, MA
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I really like this hotel. The Saint-Louis Symphony has been putting its guests at this hotel for many years now. The rooms are big and very comfortable. My bathroom was bigger than the one in my own house. The bed is very comfortable. I am always happy to come back.

The best thing about this hotel is the neighborhood. There are great restaurants nearby, a wonderful park right across the street for jogs and walks, a grocery store with a nice deli, and even a cinema in the hotel itself. The gym located in the basement of the hotel offers yoga classes, cycling and Pilates classes for free if you are a hotel guest.

The Chase Park Plaza is probably the best hotel in Saint-Louis.

Room Tip: Rom 535 has two rooms; a living room with an office, and a bedroom with a bathroom. Perfect.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
It is always so nice to receive such a glowing review so thank you for this. It appears that you have stayed with us before and that you are very familiar with the Central West End and all that it has to offer our guests.

Thank you for taking time to share your experiences and I will be sure to pass along your comments to the Chase Team.

We look forward to your next visit.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Chase Park has it all - Spa, movie theaters, restaurants, hot bar scene, fire pit by pool, coffee bar and amazing location. But the best feature is the location West Central and overlooking Forest park. The location is superb, walking distance to great shops and restaurants in the finest residential neighborhood in St Louis. Straubs Market on the corner is a great place to get coffee of any gourmet delight to bring back to the room.
The rooms are older, tired and most are huge with sitting rooms. Bathrooms are old fashioned but efficient and if you have large suite style room you enjoy the space and forget that it has not been upgraded in 10 years. Internet is still plug in style and they charge $8 per day and parking is $26 for Valet per day YUCK !
Here is the but - we always stay here and the price is amazing - $179 to $210 per night per suite style room. Cannot beat the value and if the room looks at the park it is so inviting to open the windows and enjoy the grand ole hotel. All the staff is bright, sharp and very happy to help with everything. I like it and will always go back a class act with great value.

Room Tip: Please try to get a room overlooking the park - high floor and open the windows all year round as th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for making the Chase Park Plaza your hotel of choice when in the St. Louis area. I appreciate all the wonderful comments that you posted about the hotel and also understand some of your concerns. I did want to let you know that while there is a charge for internet service we do have both wired and wireless access available which may be more convenient during your next stay.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Los Angeles
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is a grand old hotel on a grand boulevard by a grand beautiful park, but the hotel just doesn't deliver. The rooms are a little tired, quirky and underwhelming. We had a suite with a huge living room but a tiny bedroom with a queen-sized bed and a miniscule bathroom. I asked if there was a room with a King Sized bed, and we were shown a suite with a tiny living room, windows facing a brick wall, but a nice-sized bed and bathroom. The rooms are dimly lit which makes them drab and a little depressing. There are delightful cafes and shops within a block of walking, but if you drive east toward downtown, it's pretty blighted and desolate.

The staff is gracious and accommodating, but there are all kinds of small problems that get in their way. The confirmation for my room online was different then the one they use in their system (don't ask). So I had to call reservations to add another night and was put on hold for more than 22 minutes. The woman who answered said: "I'm the only one working the phones." I sent an email to the concierge but she had a "spam blocker" that delayed the receipt of emails for up to an hour (don't ask).

There's just something amiss here, it's nothing overt, but it's the sum of a lot of small, annoying things. The price was reasonable, but it's hard to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: There is a huge variety of rooms -- if you book a suite, insist on a view of the park and make sure...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Grew up in st Louis and always dreamed of staying at the Chase. Came back for a class reunion and was so disenchanted. Room was tiny. "view" was of another wing of the hotel about 20 feet out the window. No bath tub (shower only) and the pillows were flat and smelled dirty. The location was the main plus with shops restaurants and the Park w/I walking distance. If I do stay here again I will demand one of those "huge" rooms with a view people were describing. That would not have been the one we had!

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for taking time to post a review about your recent experiences at the Chase. I am so sorry that we did not exceed your expectations and that you were not satisfied with the accommodations.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you in more detail and have you come back again and experience the hotel the way that you had hoped and anticipated.

I can be reached at aellis@chaseparkplaza.com and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We love staying here. The hotel is well located to enjoy the CWE, Forest Park, and the Botanical Garden. The extra cost of a suite is well worth it. The room is much larger than a single and is very comfortable.

Room Tip: Splurge on a suite.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank twosavoie
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for taking time to post such a great review of the Chase Park Plaza. I am so pleased that you enjoyed all that the Central West End has to offer. Our proximity to Forest Park and the Botanical Gardens, with all that they offer make a visit to the Chase all the more wonderful.

We look forward to hosting you again soon,

Indiana
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a business conference for two nights. They did a wonderful job. My room was huge with a king bed, flat screen TV, large closet, and nice bathroom all in one area. In addition their was a large living room with TV, sofa, and two chairs as well as an office area with a large desk and two chairs. I visited a friend in his suite and he had the above plus a full kitchen. Security is high. You cannot get from one floor to another without inserting your key in an elevator slot.
The views of Forest Park are beautiful. My room looked over the large pool area near outdoor seating for a nice bar area. There is a large restaurant too, though I had not occasion to eat there. Inside the hotel near the lobby bar is a movie theatre that serves the traditional popcorn and candy bars and soft drinks but also has beer, wine, and maybe frozen margaritas.
We did have an awards banquet with entertaiment for the conference I was attending (though our meetings were off-site). Service was excellent, appetizers during the cocktail hour were delicious, and the dinner was good (though we could have used a steak knife for the undercooked filet).
My room appeared to be very clean however there was a blue contact lens stuck to the bathroom floor when I arrived on Sunday and it was still there when I left on Tuesday.
I have no idea how much the rooms cost as my employer paid for them but overnight parking in the attached garage was $17.00, a reasonable price for a large city hotel.
I would definitely stay here again. I know our company uses them often for large groups. We had 130 people for this conference.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking Forest Park or the pool area. Not sure what the view is like looking the oth...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your recent conference. Your comments have been shared with the team as it is always such a pleasure to hear such great feedback.

We hope that when you are next in St. Louis that you will stay at the Chase.