“Almost good, but not quite....”

The Chase Park Plaza
Ranked #35 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is a grand old hotel on a grand boulevard by a grand beautiful park, but the hotel just doesn't deliver. The rooms are a little tired, quirky and underwhelming. We had a suite with a huge living room but a tiny bedroom with a queen-sized bed and a miniscule bathroom. I asked if there was a room with a King Sized bed, and we were shown a suite with a tiny living room, windows facing a brick wall, but a nice-sized bed and bathroom. The rooms are dimly lit which makes them drab and a little depressing. There are delightful cafes and shops within a block of walking, but if you drive east toward downtown, it's pretty blighted and desolate.

The staff is gracious and accommodating, but there are all kinds of small problems that get in their way. The confirmation for my room online was different then the one they use in their system (don't ask). So I had to call reservations to add another night and was put on hold for more than 22 minutes. The woman who answered said: "I'm the only one working the phones." I sent an email to the concierge but she had a "spam blocker" that delayed the receipt of emails for up to an hour (don't ask).

There's just something amiss here, it's nothing overt, but it's the sum of a lot of small, annoying things. The price was reasonable, but it's hard to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: There is a huge variety of rooms -- if you book a suite, insist on a view of the park and make sure...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,179)

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Grew up in st Louis and always dreamed of staying at the Chase. Came back for a class reunion and was so disenchanted. Room was tiny. "view" was of another wing of the hotel about 20 feet out the window. No bath tub (shower only) and the pillows were flat and smelled dirty. The location was the main plus with shops restaurants and the Park w/I walking distance. If I do stay here again I will demand one of those "huge" rooms with a view people were describing. That would not have been the one we had!

• Stayed: September 2012
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Thank you for taking time to post a review about your recent experiences at the Chase. I am so sorry that we did not exceed your expectations and that you were not satisfied with the accommodations.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you in more detail and have you come back again and experience the hotel the way that you had hoped and anticipated.

I can be reached at aellis@chaseparkplaza.com and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We love staying here. The hotel is well located to enjoy the CWE, Forest Park, and the Botanical Garden. The extra cost of a suite is well worth it. The room is much larger than a single and is very comfortable.

Room Tip: Splurge on a suite.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank twosavoie
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Thank you for taking time to post such a great review of the Chase Park Plaza. I am so pleased that you enjoyed all that the Central West End has to offer. Our proximity to Forest Park and the Botanical Gardens, with all that they offer make a visit to the Chase all the more wonderful.

We look forward to hosting you again soon,

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a business conference for two nights. They did a wonderful job. My room was huge with a king bed, flat screen TV, large closet, and nice bathroom all in one area. In addition their was a large living room with TV, sofa, and two chairs as well as an office area with a large desk and two chairs. I visited a friend in his suite and he had the above plus a full kitchen. Security is high. You cannot get from one floor to another without inserting your key in an elevator slot.
The views of Forest Park are beautiful. My room looked over the large pool area near outdoor seating for a nice bar area. There is a large restaurant too, though I had not occasion to eat there. Inside the hotel near the lobby bar is a movie theatre that serves the traditional popcorn and candy bars and soft drinks but also has beer, wine, and maybe frozen margaritas.
We did have an awards banquet with entertaiment for the conference I was attending (though our meetings were off-site). Service was excellent, appetizers during the cocktail hour were delicious, and the dinner was good (though we could have used a steak knife for the undercooked filet).
My room appeared to be very clean however there was a blue contact lens stuck to the bathroom floor when I arrived on Sunday and it was still there when I left on Tuesday.
I have no idea how much the rooms cost as my employer paid for them but overnight parking in the attached garage was $17.00, a reasonable price for a large city hotel.
I would definitely stay here again. I know our company uses them often for large groups. We had 130 people for this conference.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking Forest Park or the pool area. Not sure what the view is like looking the oth...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your recent conference. Your comments have been shared with the team as it is always such a pleasure to hear such great feedback.

We hope that when you are next in St. Louis that you will stay at the Chase.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel is right at the corner of Forest Park and also right on a street with lots of interesting restaurants. The room was spacious and the quality of amenities very good. The one small complaint was the paid Wi-Fi and even using the Internet in the business center in the basement charged by the hour. That seemed a bit excessive. Parking is very conveninet, the parking structure is next door but it does cost $17 a day (with in and out priviledges)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for the review of your recent experience at the Chase. I appreciate you taking the time to share your feed back which very valuable to our team as we strive to constantly improve. Your comments regarding our Wi-Fi service is being reviewed to determine what other options may be available.

Thank you again for your feedback and for staying at the Chase.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is a great historic hotel with updated rooms and first class services and amenities. Great restaurants, superior fitness center. Hotel employees friendly and respectful. I highly recommend this hotel for a great business or relaxation experience.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

I wanted to thank you for the great review of the Chase Park Plaza and we do appreciate the positive feedback that you provided. We are very proud of our affiliation with Historic Hotels of America and always are excited to hear our guests spread the word about the historic nature of the Chase.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here for two nights in Deluxe room on the 9 th floor on the Club level. Also stayed here in the same room a few years ago. Loved it and found it great value for money. Good size room; but the sizes vary a lot on this floor. You can have an apartment. Well worth paying a little extra for the Club Level Upgrade as for only USD25 a day more you get all your meals, including unlimited wine, martinis, all drinks in the evening. The food is very good and available all day.

Gym and pool.

Location is good right to golf course, art gallery, and Forest Park which is the second largest public park in a US city. Great for jogging and walking.

The only downside is having to pay for wifi. This should be included.

Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Annerly777
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review of your recent experiences at the Chase Park Plaza and thank you for coming back and staying with us again.

I am very pleased that you had the opportunity to experience all that the Chase Club Floor has to offer and I hope that we exceeded your expectations.

I hope that you have another opportunity to experience the hotel in the near future.